British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 06 November 2011, 09:07Thanks very much indeed for both the Stanford and the MacCunn, both of you!

After following The Lay of the Last Minstrel with my vocal score, it should be noted that one number is cut from this 1977 performance, viz. No.8 in Part II (For this fair prize), a scene for Lord Cranston, Lady Buccleuch and Margaret (accompanied by the chorus) in which Cranston reveals his true identity (he fought incognito for the wounded Deloraine), claims Margaret and obtains Lady Buccleugh's blessing on the union.

This is a puzzling omission, given that it is the climax of the plot and precipitates the closing celebratory chorus, but at this late stage I don't suspect that anybody would be around to furnish an explanation!

;D

eschiss1

eep. Liszt (claimed that) when he made cuts he made cuts that made sense... :(
Hrm. (Followup on Bush piano concerto - Bush Trust and the "Alan Bush source book" have Vivicato, Conway has Vivicata, I think it should be vivacita... vivicato it is then.

JimL

I think vivicato is right.  Vivacita is probably Spanish, not Italian.

eschiss1

Vivacità, I think, is agility in Italian, but I admit I'm not positive... what "Vivicato" is - (not many- the first few. not sure if the rest are more reassuring though- and only 70 aren't considered duplicates) "270" Google hits refer to the Bush piano concerto in some way I think which is rarely a good sign for a word? - I'm not sure...
as to sym. 4- according to the Trust this is a recording of the premiere (or at least the same day), and the movements are
1. The Wild
2. The Children
3. Ice Age Remembered
4. Mankind Emergent
(Re symphony 4 - "Daniel Asia: works"? I remember reviews of that CD though haven't heard it. Odd to see Asia's name in the tracking fields of the Bush, puns not intended.)

albion

Additions this evening -

Ralph Walter Wood (1902-1987) - Symphony No.3 (1966)
Mátyás Seiber (1905-1960) - Fantasia Concertante for Violin and String Orchestra(1943-44)
Franz Reizenstein (1911-1968) - Voices of Night (1951)
Ruth Gipps (1921-1999) - Leviathan, for Contra-bassoon and Chamber Orchestra, Op.59 (1969)

It is good to see another work by Ruth Gipps in the archive, along with a symphony by a now-completely-unfamiliar composer, Ralph Wood. Also music by two émigré composers who made Britain their home (Reizenstein from 1934 and Seiber from 1935). Many thanks to Dundonnell for these four important broadcasts.

With Colin's approval I have decided to replace his file of David Morgan's Sinfonia da Requiem with an alternative recording captured in slightly clearer sound, although still with a degree of distortion. This can now be found, along with all the files listed above, in the usual location.

;D

Dundonnell

Advance notice that my next two uploads will be-

Donald Hunt's Te Deum of 1971. Hunt was the organist of Worcester Cathedral and the Director of the Leeds Festival.

and

Maurice Jacobson's Cantata "The Hound of Heaven" (1953)

If you are a regular visitor to Musicweb you will be aware that the estimable Rob Barnett frequently writes that the two big British choral compositions he would love to hear again are the Jacobson and Fricker's "Vision of Judgment". Well you will be getting the Jacobson within the next twenty-four hours......and the Fricker will follow ;D

albion

Something after midnight -

Charles Villiers Stanford (1952-1924) - Becket, Incidental Music, Op.48 (1892) - Funeral March

Many thanks to Mark Thomas for this 1977 broadcast recording.

:)

albion

As Dundonnell promised, the following broadcast works are now in the archive -

Maurice Jacobson (1896-1976) - The Hound of Heaven (1953)
Donald Hunt (b.1930) - Te Deum (1971)

Many thanks, Colin!

There is some useful background information on Maurice Jacobson (and this work in particular) at the following locations -

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2005/Dec05/jacobson.htm

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2007/Sept07/Maurice_Jacobson_Music.htm

Additionally, A.S. has suggested transferring his file of Reizenstein's Violin Concerto, Op.31 from the German thread to BMB - I have now done this.

albion

Members accessing BMB are gently reminded that there are several important notices at the head of the main listing - having dealt with a couple of minor problems that have arisen recently, I have clarified and expanded a few of these notices: please take a moment to read, mark and inwardly digest ...

lechner1110

Hello Albion,  Thanks to quick reply. And big thank you for your effort ;)

Dundonnell

I strongly recommend Maurice Jacobson's large Cantata "The Hound of Heaven"-a very fine work indeed. As is Franz Reizenstein's "Voices of Night" :)

Anyone attunded to the choral compositions of Vaughan Williams should find both works appealing, I think :)

albion

Enthusiasm seconded! The Hound of Heaven is an outstanding piece - just finished listening to it, with Voices of Night lined up next (that is, after at least one of the Graham Whettam discs which duly arrived from Francis Routh at Redcliffe Recordings this morning).

;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Monday 07 November 2011, 15:25
Enthusiasm seconded! The Hound of Heaven is an outstanding piece - just finished listening to it, with Voices of Night lined up next (that is, after at least one of the Graham Whettam discs which duly arrived from Francis Routh at Redcliffe Recordings this morning).

;D

Glad you liked it :)

Funny you should mention Francis Routh.....his Cello Concerto will be uploaded in the next couple of days(after some Rubbra!)

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 07 November 2011, 15:38Funny you should mention Francis Routh.....his Cello Concerto will be uploaded in the next couple of days

I'm not sure if Francis does all the admin himself, as he's 84 now, but he's certainly the driving force behind this great little label!

:o

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 07 November 2011, 15:38(after some Rubbra!)

;D

eschiss1

I have quite a lot of Rubbra but am missing quite a lot too and look forward with interest, even if it means cycling other things off my iPod and moving some things onto DVDs due to space problems :D (eep.)