British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

I HAD hoped to be able to upload Rubbra's Choral Suite "In die nocte et canticum" but I find that the recording is disfigured by outbreaks of loud static :(
One day-using the magic of Audacity-it may be possible to sort this but I am not uploading it as it is.

I can provide two short Rubbra pieces though-the Mass in Three Voices and the brass Canzona for St.Cecilia.

I shall add Christian Darnton's Concerto for Orchestra. Darnton was one of those very strange characters, notorious in his lifetime as a Communist sympathiser and for other unattractive personal traits, who suffered badly at the hands of the BBC and has now virtually disappeared from musical consciousness but of whom a few people speak very highly.

A very informative article-

http://www.musicweb-international.com/darnton/darnton.htm

eschiss1

... if I'm willing to listen to Hessenberg (I admit at this distance in time finding out his politics, as opposed to other things, is a bit difficult) , Weismann (likewise) (and Max Trapp I'm interested in hearing) - and when it comes to unattractive personal traits (selfishness, using other people as means to ends, and kicking people who'd helped him in his autobiography ... a long list...) it's seemed to me that it's hard to beat Wagner really... whose music, however, I am glad to... well, anyhow, please do.
(Butting, who's mentioned, also has interested me for awhile now- have been tempted to request one of his string quartets or symphonies, a few of which I've seen in score. Most assuredly not to be confused with Buttner.)

Dundonnell

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 07 November 2011, 17:18
... if I'm willing to listen to Hessenberg (I admit at this distance in time finding out his politics, as opposed to other things, is a bit difficult) , Weismann (likewise) (and Max Trapp I'm interested in hearing) - and when it comes to unattractive personal traits (selfishness, using other people as means to ends, and kicking people who'd helped him in his autobiography ... a long list...) it's seemed to me that it's hard to beat Wagner really... whose music, however, I am glad to... well, anyhow, please do.
(Butting, who's mentioned, also has interested me for awhile now- have been tempted to request one of his string quartets or symphonies, a few of which I've seen in score. Most assuredly not to be confused with Buttner.)

Oh...the list is endless, Eric ;D

A large number of composers are definitely not the sort of people one would invite to dinner or want to spend much time in their company ;D ;D

albion

There seems to be a (hopefully) temporary glitch in the BMB listing in that it has decided to abort everything chronologically after David Morgan (i.e. composers born 1934 onwards). I didn't think they were that bad, myself.

;)

If you notice that something is missing, please let me know!

;D

britishcomposer

Just noticed the absence of 'my' Pickard PC! ;)

albion

Dundonnell

Gordon Crosse-Symphony No.1

Nicholas Maw- Spring Music

albion

Thanks, Colin - Crosse duly sorted.

:)

I now have no record of the performers or broadcast date for the Maw. Did anybody happen to jot it down on the back of a shopping list?

???

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Monday 07 November 2011, 18:02
Thanks, Colin - Crosse duly sorted.

I now have no record of the performers or broadcast date for the Maw. Did anybody happen to jot it down on the back of a shopping list?

???

BBC Symphony Orchestra(Sir John Pritchard); broadcast in 1987.........according to my Catalogue of Recent Downloads ;D ;D ;D

albion

Brilliant, thanks Colin!

;D

I've saved the entire listing (format codes and all) as a Word doc and emailed it to myself, just in case!

:o

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 07 November 2011, 17:09
.....Christian Darnton was one of those very strange characters, notorious in his lifetime as a Communist sympathiser and for other unattractive personal traits,

Thanks for the link to that fascinating bio., Colin.  Politics aside  :-X   although important in terms of his music - I can't wait to hear the Concerto. :)

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 07 November 2011, 17:31
......A large number of composers are definitely not the sort of people one would invite to dinner or want to spend much time in their company ;D ;D

Apologies for going off topic here, but talking about unpleasant composers I can't resist reporting that I watched Stephen Fry's Wagner and Me on TV the other night. Fry says he can set aside everything because he loves the music with such passion. It's the music that counts. And yet, he ends the 90 minute prog. with the conclusion that Wagner was on the side of good - a claim about the man???

albion

In addition to a general British Music thread, there is now a new thread which exclusively contains the complete BMB catalogue.

The following broadcasts have just been added -

Christian Darnton (1905-1981) - Concerto for Orchestra (1974)
Nicholas Maw - Sinfonia for Chamber Orchestra (1966)
Edmund Rubbra (1901-1986) - Missa à 3 (Missa brevis), Op.98 (1958); Canzona for St Cecilia, Op.158 (1981)
Gerard Schurmann (b.1924) - Piano Concerto (1973)

All the above can now be found in the appropriate folders.

Many thanks to Dundonnell for these!

;D

eschiss1

Thanks!!

also, re Daniel (Jenkyn) Jones, symphony 11's movements/sections are: 1.Intensivo; 2.Capriccioso; 3.Elegiaco; 4.Risoluto . (source: http://soundandmusic.org/thecollection/node/40574. )
Symphony 12 from the same site has "1.Tranquillo-Agitato; 2.Giocoso; 3.Serioso; 4.Risoluto."
Symphony 13 (or [13])  has "1.Solemne; 2.Capriccioso; 3.Lento; 4.Agitato-Tranquillo."
(Hrm, Raff's orchestration of Bach's chaconne is on now...)

albion

To clarify the situation as it stands - there are now two threads in the members-only Downloads section, one entitled British Music Broadcasts and the other entitled British Music.

The British Music Broadcasts thread is now exclusively given over to the ever-expanding BMB catalogue and should not include other posts.

The British Music thread is the general one for contributors to post their independent links to recordings of British music (unless, of course, they prefer to send these to me in a PM).

All new material will continue to be announced in British music broadcasts on the open Downloads Discussion board in an effort to try and keep members informed of the latest additions.