British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Hrm? Mediafire allows 1000-character notes and briefer descriptions to be attached to all files so far as I know, why not add the titles and dates there and leave the filenames brief? Or are those notes only visible to the uploader? (I've attached notes to quite a few of my Mediafire items- if no one can see them then I assume the latter!)

albion

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 13 November 2011, 14:35why not add the titles and dates there and leave the filenames brief?

The character-limitation on new file titles at the moment (36) is clearly a problem that will be addressed: I will manage with interim titles and simply wait for mediafire to get their act sorted out, but ultimately maintain the consistent style already established .

:)

eschiss1

erm...
erm...
wait... where did the notes _go_? at least the descriptions, briefer though they can be, are still there...
never mind. off topic, I know.

albion

Britishcomposer, many thanks for the broadcast of this substantial piano piece -

Alexander Mackenzie (1847-1935) - Fantasia in E flat Major, Op. 70

I have put a copy in the archive!

albion

The latest broadcasts from Dundonnell have just been added and contain several with an overtly Scottish interest -

Ian Whyte (1901-1961) - Tone Poem, Edinburgh (1945)
Daniel Jones (1912-1993) - St Peter (1962)
George McIlwham (b.1926) - Cir Mhor, A Symphonic Poem for the Island of Arran (1952)
John Maxwell Geddes (b.1941) - Symphony No.1 (1975)

It will be interesting to hear substantial works by Ian Whyte (pupil of Stanford and Vaughan Williams at the RCM, appointed first Director of Music for BBC Scotland in 1931, conductor of the BBC Scottish Orchestra between 1945 and 1960, and  contributor of a Symphony to the 1947 Cheltenham Festival) and George McIlwham (former flautist with the BBC Scottish and celebrated latterly as a piper, with recordings including Maxwell Davies' An Orkney Wedding with Sunrise, a work which he also played at the Last Night of the Proms in 1992).

John Maxwell Geddes may be an unfamiliar name, so here is a link to a fairly substantial biography - http://scottishmusiccentre.com/members/john_maxwell_geddes/home/full_biography/

Colin has asked me to repeat his caveat with regard to the recording of Daniel Jones' Oratorio St Peter - the final ten minutes or so are missing from his tape.

Whilst it would, of course, be patently preferable to have the work complete, to have access to even an unintentionally-truncated version of a major unrecorded choral work by this composer is of great value in itself: definitely a case of the cup being half- (or three-quarters- in this case) full rather than half-empty.

;D

Holger

Colin, thanks a lot for these files, I am particularly glad about the Jones and the Geddes. Even if St. Peter isn't complete this means getting 47 more minutes of music by Jones, which is highly appreciated! As for Geddes, I know several works by him, among them his substantial Symphony No. 2, a dark, powerful and somewhat heroic work dedicated to the memory of Bryden Thomson, and I have already been wondering about whether there is a way to get his Symphony No. 1 as well!

Dundonnell

Thank you, Holger :)

I am sorry about the Daniel Jones 'St.Peter' but given that my tapes had lain unplayed for 30 years it is amazing that almost all have survived :D

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 14 November 2011, 16:14
Thank you, Holger :)

I am sorry about the Daniel Jones 'St.Peter' but given that my tapes had lain unplayed for 30 years it is amazing that almost all have survived :D

Not only that, we are immensely fortunate that their owner has survived and is able and willing to go to the trouble of uploading them!

;)

Dundonnell

On reflection...and after much careful consideration...I would probably echo the first part of your sentiment ;D ;D ;D

Seriously though........the almost indescribably fantastic pleasure I have had in being able to access, download and (in time ;D) listen to so much music I never dreamed of getting hold of through this site fully deserves reciprocation.

For several years I have kept a wish list of twentieth century symphonies, none of which had made it to cd. The numbers on that list fell slowly over time but tended to be in the order of around 160-180 with new additions often replacing symphonies which had been finally released.

Over the space of 2 short months-thanks to this site-the number has positively plummeted to a current figure of 94 with a few more promised by members here :) :)

eschiss1

albion

Latest additions, with lots of Welsh interest -

Gordon Jacob (1895-1984) - Flute Concerto No.1 (1951); Pro Corda Suite (1977)
Daniel Jones (1912-1993) - Suite, Salute to Dylan Thomas (1978)
Gareth Walters (b.1928) - Divertimento for String Orchestra (1959); Sinfonia Breve (1964)
William Mathias (1934-1992) - Serenade for Small Orchestra, Op.18 (1961)

Many thanks to Dundonnell for these broadcasts.

BFerrell

I cannot find Bantock's "Sea-Wanderers" among the above downloads.

Dundonnell

Quote from: BFerrell on Tuesday 15 November 2011, 11:54
I cannot find Bantock's "Sea-Wanderers" among the above downloads.

It does seem to have disappeared ???

I am sure that Albion-the "librarian" of the British Music Collection will sort it out ;D

albion

Quote from: BFerrell on Tuesday 15 November 2011, 11:54I cannot find Bantock's "Sea-Wanderers" among the above downloads.

Sorry about that - it must have got 'left behind' in one of the recent re-organisations. I've now uploaded it again!

Mark Thomas

Belated thanks for the two Arnold Cooke Symphonies - Nos.4 & 5. Wonderful to be able to hear them. The announcer helpfully gives us the titles of the Fourth's four movements, but his later colleague, whilst characterising each of the Fifth's movements, doesn't actually give the tempo indications. Does anybody know them?