British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

I am delighted that you are able to enjoy Arnold Cooke's Symphonies Nos. 4 and 5, Mark :)

I don't have an instant answer for you but I am about to order the British Music Society monograph on Cooke written in 1996 by Eric Wetherell-the only study of Cooke's music in existence as far as I know. When it arrives I shall, hopefully, be able to respond.

albion

Some more repertoire has been archived -

Gordon Crosse (b.1937) - For the Unfallen, Op.9 (1963); Violin Concerto No.2, Op.26 (1969); Play Ground, Op.41 (1977)

:)

Many thanks to Dundonnell for these broadcasts.

Mark Thomas

Dundonnell wrote:
QuoteWhen it arrives I shall, hopefully, be able to respond.
Thanks in advance, Colin.

albion

Mike, many thanks for

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor (1875-1912) - A Tale of Old Japan, Op.76 (1911)

What a lovely work it is!

I've merged the eleven small wma files into one mp3 for ease of use and put it into the archive.

There is a copy of the vocal score here - http://imslp.org/wiki/A_Tale_of_Old_Japan,_Op.76_(Coleridge-Taylor,_Samuel)

I've got to go out now, but will do the Somervell later.

;D

lechner1110

mikehopf, Thanks to upload Somervell's Cantata.
   I like Somervell's violin concerto very much. (Maybe my favorite violin concerto.)
   I always felt beautiful melodies in his music.  This cantata also fill  with beautiful melodies. Thanks!  :D

patmos.beje

I have wanted to hear Coleridge-Taylor's 'A Tale of Old Japan' for many years.  I look forward to listening to it later today.  Many thanks.

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 16 November 2011, 08:59
Mike, many thanks for

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor (1875-1912) - A Tale of Old Japan, Op.76 (1911)

What a lovely work it is!

Thanks from me too, Mike. I couldn't agree more with John's description of it as 'lovely'.  It's a constant source of amazement to me that Coleridge-Taylor's gorgeous music is not still 'standard repertoire'.  Like most other composers (apart from the truly greats) his output might be uneven but at its best, of which A Tale of Old Japan is an example, it is so very appealing.  Heigh-ho. :(

eschiss1

For those interested (I hadn't heard of the work before last year) "A Tale of Old Japan) can be found in vocal score at Sibley Library, and at IMSLP the latter here. (Yes, the BMB thread was getting a bit long, but this might still have been posted into it :) )

eschiss1

Ah, will check out the Somervell cantata- have enjoyed his symphony and as I recall his concerto also. Thanks!

albion

The final Gordon Crosse broadcast is now in the archive -

Ceremony, Op.19 (1966)

Many thanks, Colin.

I've also added -

Arthur Somervell (1863-1937) - Christmas (1926)

to the folders and listing, merging the four wma files into one mp3.

Thanks for this, Mike.

albion

Those who have already downloaded A Tale of Old Japan and listened to it closely will have noticed a problem around 46:13 in the original where there is a gap of 25 seconds and then a return to figure 55 (vocal score, second edition, p.88 figure 55).

I have worked on the original file and cut and spliced so that this gap has been removed, there is no repetition and the transition is now, hopefully, more seamless. This new version has replaced the previous file in the C folder.

;D

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 16 November 2011, 19:03
Those who have already downloaded A Tale of Old Japan and listened to it closely will have noticed a problem around 46:13 in the original where there is a gap of 25 seconds and then a return to figure 55 (vocal score, second edition, p.88 figure 55).

I have worked on the original file and cut and spliced so that this gap has been removed, there is no repetition and the transition is now, hopefully, more seamless. This new version has replaced the previous file in the C folder.

;D
Thanks very much.  You are clever;  ;D I thought that was something I was just going to have to live with!

semloh

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 16 November 2011, 16:07
..... Somervell .......... merging the four wma files into one mp3.

Many thanks to Mike, and also to Albion for merging these and the 'Old Japan' files.  :)

It's fine music indeed! :) :)

albion

As phase one (otherwise unavailable repertoire) of Colin's epic programme nears completion, I am please to announce that the following files have just been added -

Richard Rodney Bennett (b.1936) - Aubade, In Memory of John Hollingsworth (1964); Symphony No.2 (1968); Concerto for Orchestra (1973); Actaeon (Metamorphosis I) for Horn and Orchestra (1977); Concerto for Double-Bass and Small Orchestra (1978)

Performer details are given, as usual, in the BMB listing.

Many thanks, Dundonnell.

albion

The following file is now in the archive -

C. Hubert H. Parry (1848-1918) - The Pied Piper of Hamelin (1905)

Many thanks to Mike for a rare opportunity to hear an otherwise-unavailable choral work by this composer. I have merged his four wma files into one mp3 but have not had the opportunity to check it yet - it will be my bedtime listening.

This is a very exciting time for BMB with Colin's truly wonderful and comprehensive survey of mid- to later-twentieth century British music and now Mike's recordings, besides the much-valued contributions of other members. Many thanks!

;D