British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

New additions -

Stanley Bate (1911-1959) - Symphony No.3, Op.29 (1940) in a recording by the BBC Scottish under Edward Gardner

and from Dundonnell -

Richard Arnell (1917-2009) - Symphony No.5, Op.77 (1955-57) conducted by John Carewe

Robert Simpson (1921-1997) - Symphony No.2 (1955-56); Symphony No.4 (1970-72); Symphony No.5 (1972); Symphony No.6 (1977)

Several of the Simpson broadcasts are records of very important occasions, being the first London performance of the 4th and the world premieres of the 5th and 6th.

Many thanks, Colin

:)

Dundonnell

For info'....The Bate 3rd  was first broadcast on 14 March 2006.

I was told that the orchestra was very impressed by the piece :)

albion

Thanks, Colin - I'll add that that date to the catalogue. More Bate, please, Dutton!

albion

I have been working for the last hour on mikehopf's two files of

Julius Harrison (1885-1963) - Mass in C (1936-47)

I have split the two primary files into the six constituent movements of the mass (the Credo was originally divided between the two files and has been merged).

This is a stupendous work which I cannot recommend too highly. Thanks, Mike!

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Friday 18 November 2011, 20:12
For info'....The Bate 3rd  was first broadcast on 14 March 2006.

I was told that the orchestra was very impressed by the piece :)

Ah, not surprised - to my ears it's a very fine work.  It's coupled with Chisholm and Arnell on the Dutton CD, which seems like good value at £10-12 - but £3.60 p&p to Aus puts it out of reach in the overall scheme of things, esp. as I'm still explaining to my wife about all those Naxos CDs on sale!  ;D ;D

So.... special thanks for the upload.  :)

mikehopf

Hans GAL: De Profundis... a big oratorio!

Any interest?

jerfilm

gpdlt2010

Thanks for this beautiful work!
Could someone inform who the performers are?

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 16 November 2011, 23:39
The following file is now in the archive -

C. Hubert H. Parry (1848-1918) - The Pied Piper of Hamelin (1905)

Many thanks to Mike for a rare opportunity to hear an otherwise-unavailable choral work by this composer. I have merged his four wma files into one mp3 but have not had the opportunity to check it yet - it will be my bedtime listening.

This is a very exciting time for BMB with Colin's truly wonderful and comprehensive survey of mid- to later-twentieth century British music and now Mike's recordings, besides the much-valued contributions of other members. Many thanks!

;D

albion

Quote from: gpdlt2010 on Saturday 19 November 2011, 09:09
Thanks for this beautiful work!
Could someone inform who the performers are?

Kim Begley, ten; Robert Hayward, bass/ Stephen Hicks, organ/ Brighton Orpheus Choir and O/ Patricia Harding

albion

The latest recordings in the archive are:

from mikehopf -

Hubert Parry (1848-1918) - Ode on St Cecilia's Day (1889); De Profundis (1891)
William Gillies Whittaker (1876-1944) - The Coelestial Sphere (1923); A Lyke-Wake Dirge (1924)
Norman Hay (1889-1943) - Symphonic Poem, Dunluce (1920-21)

from Latvian -

Robert James Barclay-Wilson - Symphony

I have split the original file of the Whittaker into the two separate works and removed the redundant silence. These are both very impressive scores indeed.

As Latvian comments, there is very little information about Barclay-Wilson available, and even a discrepancy as to whether his name should be hyphenated or not. Since the publisher of his Symphony (Lengnick) does apply a hyphen, this has been adopted.

Many thanks to both for these exciting additions.

;D

albion

Quote from: Albion on Saturday 19 November 2011, 10:09Robert James Barclay-Wilson - Symphony

As Latvian comments, there is very little information about Barclay-Wilson available, and even a discrepancy as to whether his name should be hyphenated or not. Since the publisher of his Symphony (Lengnick) does apply a hyphen, this has been adopted and consequently this work is in the Ba-Be folder.

This has been causing me a headache all morning. There are more references to Robert Barclay Wilson than to Robert Barclay-Wilson, so in spite of Lengnick, he's on the move again - this time to Wi-Wo. One source gives his birth year as 1899, but most seem to agree on 1913. On the positive side we do have details of the actual broadcast: performers and a date!

:o

Apologies for the confusion - look on it as a new take on Where's Wally?

;D

hattoff

I had a quick check of the death indexes for Robert James Barclay Wilson (no hyphen). He was born 22 Oct 1899 and died in the December quarter 1988 at Dover. Hope that, that is of some help.

albion

Brilliant, thanks hattoff!

Off we go again - I'll duly amend the catalogue.

;D

albion

Actually, 1899 would make more sense, as the 1979 broadcast was therefore probably a tribute in his 80th year.

hattoff

I've done a little more research. He was the son of William George S Wilson  and Clara Barclay and he was born at Barnes in Surrey. His father died when he was just one year old and in the 1901 census he is living in the house of his grandfather Arthur J Barclay in Hammersmith. Arthur J Barclay was a coal merchant and theatrical agent and is googleable and is found managing music halls and early cinemas; he is also given credit as an author of music hall sketches.