British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Hi Semloh

The bulk of my British recordings came to me in the 1970s & 1980s from Richard Noble who literally recorded everything from the old Third Program broadcasts. Richard lived in a large, old mansion in Godalming, Surrey, every room of which was stacked high with tapes, cassettes & LPs. He would rarely leave the house in case he missed a two minute broadcast of a rarity. Looking like Catweasel, all his spare time was spent cultivating his garden  or meticulously cataloguing his collection... a Sisyphus-like task! He used to work in Discurio in Shepherd's Market and  he would buy every new commercial recording he could get his hands on from Dutch electronic music to Gregorian chant. If he is still alive , he must be in his nineties now! Vale Richard!

Mykulh

Mike,
   Richard died last year. An obituary appeared on the website of MusicWeb International. If you go to that site and search its database I am sure you will find it. I also rememember that house and collection very well.

albion

Quote from: Albion on Tuesday 29 November 2011, 08:07Commonwealth and émigré composers will certainly be considered on an individual basis for inclusion in BMB on condition that they became British by adoption or very substantial periods of their careers were spent in Britain to the extent that it became effectively their home: Kelly, Benjamin, Williamson, Gál and Reizenstein all qualify on this score - as would Panufnik, who became a British citizen in 1961 and gained a knighthood in 1991.

The following broadcasts from Dundonnell have just been added to the archive for the reasons cited above -

Andrzej Panufnik (1914-1991) - Piano Concerto (1962, rev. 1972); Violin Concerto (1971); Symphony No.4, Sinfonia Concertante (1973); Symphony No.5, Sinfonia di Sfere (1975); Symphony No.6, Sinfonia Mistica (1977)

Malcolm Williamson (1931-2003) - Concerto for Two Pianos and String Orchestra (1972); Symphony No.5, Aquero (1979-80)

The recording of Panufnik's Sinfonia Concertante is its first performance and that of the Sinfonia Mistica is the first broadcast performance. The Violin Concerto is performed by Colin Staveley (1942-1910) who, besides performing as a soloist at several Proms concerts, led at various times the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain, the Royal Philharmonic, the BBC Welsh Orchestra, the Irish National Symphony Orchestra, the Royal Philharmonic Pops Orchestra and the Hong Kong Philharmonic. We have been unable to identify the orchestra, conductor or date of this recording - any clarification would be gratefully received.

Malcolm Williamson features as one of the soloists in the first broadcast performance of his Concerto for Two Pianos.

Many thanks, Colin.

:)

Dundonnell

Quote from: mikehopf on Thursday 01 December 2011, 03:07
Hi Semloh

The bulk of my British recordings came to me in the 1970s & 1980s from Richard Noble who literally recorded everything from the old Third Program broadcasts. Richard lived in a large, old mansion in Godalming, Surrey, every room of which was stacked high with tapes, cassettes & LPs. He would rarely leave the house in case he missed a two minute broadcast of a rarity. Looking like Catweasel, all his spare time was spent cultivating his garden  or meticulously cataloguing his collection... a Sisyphus-like task! He used to work in Discurio in Shepherd's Market and  he would buy every new commercial recording he could get his hands on from Dutch electronic music to Gregorian chant. If he is still alive , he must be in his nineties now! Vale Richard!

At least in terms of recording virtually everything from the old Third Programme during the 1970s he does sound a bit like me ;D The rest of the description however certainly does not fit ;D ;D

I just wish that-for a variety of reasons-I had not stopped my recording programme around 1981 :(

albion

I have just added a very-welcome first contribution from our new member paul corfield godfrey to the archive -

David Wynne (1900-1983) - Symphony No.3 (1963)

Many thanks, Paul.

Dundonnell

Wow :) :)

I have always wanted to hear some David Wynne :)

David Wright calls the Symphony No.3 "a fine work both tragic and serene" and the performance by Bryden Thomson one "wihch captures the work's formidable power".

Can't wait ;D ;D

albion

I've just added some more files from paul corfield godfrey to the archive -

David Wynne (1900-1983) - Owain ap Urien (1967, rev. 1974); Evening Shadows (1971); String Quartet No.5 (1980); Music for Keyboards and Percussion (1980)

Malcolm Williamson (1931-2003) - The Happy Prince (1965)

It is great to have some further works by David Wynne and also to be able to hear the long-deleted Argo LP of Williamson's enchanting opera for children.

Many thanks, Paul.

Dundonnell

According to my senior ex-BBC friend the problem with the Corporation these days is that the music producers who were so familiar with British music of the post-war generation(the Cookes, Wordsworths, Bates, Hamiltons, Frickers etc etc) have all now retired or have sadly passed away. He mentioned people like Robert Simpson and Rubbra's biographer, Leo Black.

Although Roger Wright himself is certainly keen on the sort of British music many of us love,  the younger music producers at the BBC have simply never heard much or indeed any of the music of these composers and are not particularly interested in exploring it :( :(

Jimfin

Um, the British Music Broadcasts Thread seems to have vanished: please don't tell me my life has evaporated!

Mark Thomas

Never fear Jim. It's now at the top of the Downloads board here.

albion

Some excerpts from British operas have been sent by paul corfield godfrey and are now in the archive -

Julius Benedict (1804-1885) - The Lily of Killarney (1862)
Rutland Boughton (1878-1960) - Alkestis (1920-22); The Queen of Cornwall (1923-24); The Lily Maid (1933-34)

The Benedict broadcast was another programme in the excellent Britannia at the Opera series (of which several others are in the archive), whilst the Boughton extracts formed part of a centenary concert broadcast on 11th February 1978. Particularly valuable are the items from the otherwise-unrecorded Alkestis and The Lily Maid.

Many thanks for these additions, Paul.

semloh

Prout's 3rd Symphony 'Intermezzo' is listed in the BMB downloads, but I can't see it in the Mediafire folder... is it hiding somewhere?  :)

albion

Quote from: semloh on Friday 02 December 2011, 22:59
Prout's 3rd Symphony 'Intermezzo' is listed in the BMB downloads, but I can't see it in the Mediafire folder... is it hiding somewhere?  :)

Sorry - haven't got a clue where that one went to!

::)

I've just re-uploaded it from one of my BMB memory-sticks.

;D

semloh

Thanks, Albion. I wouldn't want to miss out on any Prout!  ;D

eschiss1

McEwen viola sonata of 1941 - according to The Glasgow Herald of May 5 1983 (scanned online), "McEwen Memorial Concert: Naxos Piano Quartet", this was premiered (in viola form- its later violin and piano adaptation had been performed earlier) at the concert they were reviewing (presumably a few days before?) which also contained a performance of Mackenzie's piano quartet (perhaps the same one we have.)

URL (may not be permanent?).