British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimfin

Phew! I can't express how much that worried me! This site has changed my life. I have nothing to upload, but I am so grateful for the wonderful people who do so, as well as for the recommendations, which have led to q number of recent purchases!

albion

A very welcome addition in response to a request -

Malcolm Williamson (1931-2003) - The Brilliant and the Dark (1966)

A wonderful cantata for female voices to a libretto by Ursula Vaughan Williams which takes for its theme the role of women throughout history. This recording brings back many happy memories for me - thanks, dafrieze.

;D

eschiss1

Even though he was Master of the Queen's Music, have always (well, since I first knew anything much about him- first heard of him around 1990 or so when I saw a concerto of his in score at Princeton's library, but this would have been somewhat later I think...) thought of him as Australian, so I've been scratching my head for a bit now - this has probably been explained here or elsewhere, I vaguely recall it. Not the most important matter to me, am curious.

albion

The first instalment of a selection of broadcasts/ deleted recordings donated by paul corfield godfrey -

Wilfred Josephs (1927-1997) - Requiem, Op.39 (1962-63)
John Joubert (b.1927) - Symphony No.2, Op.68 (1970); Déploration in Memoriam Benjamin Britten, Op.92 (1978)

Many thanks, Paul.

:)

albion

Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 03 December 2011, 23:54
Even though he was Master of the Queen's Music, have always (well, since I first knew anything much about him- first heard of him around 1990 or so when I saw a concerto of his in score at Princeton's library, but this would have been somewhat later I think...) thought of him as Australian, so I've been scratching my head for a bit now - this has probably been explained here or elsewhere, I vaguely recall it. Not the most important matter to me, am curious.

Eric, a couple of pages back -

Quote from: Albion on Tuesday 29 November 2011, 08:07Without opening the floodgates, Commonwealth and émigré composers will certainly be considered on an individual basis for inclusion in BMB on condition that they became British by adoption or very substantial periods of their careers were spent in Britain to the extent that it became effectively their home: Kelly, Benjamin, Williamson, Gál and Reizenstein all qualify on this score - as would Panufnik, who became a British citizen in 1961 and gained a knighthood in 1991.

semloh

Quote from: Albion on Saturday 03 December 2011, 23:59

Without opening the floodgates, Commonwealth and émigré composers will certainly be considered on an individual basis for inclusion in BMB on condition that they became British by adoption or very substantial periods of their careers were spent in Britain to the extent that it became effectively their home: Kelly, Benjamin, Williamson, Gál and Reizenstein all qualify on this score - as would Panufnik, who became a British citizen in 1961 and gained a knighthood in 1991.

[/quote]

Although, I don't think we are using this principle generally are we? I am sure smoewhere we agreed that it was easiest to go by country of birth, since composers have tended to move around somewhat, esp. in response to facsism. Maybe I am mistaken?  ???

albion

Quote from: semloh on Sunday 04 December 2011, 00:16Although, I don't think we are using this principle generally are we?

It's up to individual contributors. I am certainly not intent on setting precedents for any other member to either follow or disregard, unless they wish to do so (BMB is in essence a personal collection).

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Saturday 03 December 2011, 23:55
The first instalment of a selection of broadcasts/ deleted recordings donated by paul corfield godfrey -

Wilfred Josephs (1927-1997) - Requiem, Op.39 (1962-63)
John Joubert (b.1927) - Symphony No.2, Op.68 (1970); Déploration in Memoriam Benjamin Britten, Op.92 (1978)

Many thanks, Paul.

It will be splendid to hear at last the Josephs Requiem which in 1963 won the International Composing Competition of Milan and La Scala thereby persuading Josephs to turn from dentistry to musical composition :)

TerraEpon

Well I'm wondering about this talk about "should x br included or not" -- is it a matter of the, not being in the BCB thread, or not linked to from the site at ALL? If it's the later than perhaps the solution is to make another thread dedicated to non-British composer BBC broadcasts....if the former, well then might as well try and keep it 'pure'.

eschiss1

for my own part I emphasized that I was curious and not meaning to be the least bit prescriptive about what was in this thread's corresponding etc.

albion

Additions choral and operatic from paul corfield godfrey -

Geoffrey Bush (1920-1998) - Lord Arthur Savile's Crime (1972)
Alun Hoddinott (1929-2008) - Welsh Folksongs (1971); The Beach of Falesà, Op.83 (1970-74) - excerpts

Full details are in the catalogue.

Excellent material - thanks, Paul.

albion

The following files from dafrieze have been incorporated from the Downloads board and are now also in BMB -

Richard Hall (1903-1982) - Symphony No.4 (1953)
Antony Hopkins (b.1921) - Riding to Canonbie (1973)
Stewart Hylton Edwards (1924-1987) - Symphony No.1 (1947)
Thea Musgrave (b.1928) - Phoenix Rising (1997)
Alexander Goehr (b.1932) - Colossos or Panic, Symphonic Fragment after Goya, Op.55 (1991-92)
John McCabe (b.1939) - Symphony No.5, Edward II (1994-97)
Judith Weir (b.1954) - Natural History (1998)

Thanks, Dave.

There is material on Edwards here - http://www.musicweb-international.com/edwards/index.htm

albion

I have just finished working on and uploaded another exciting operatic broadcast supplied by paul corfield godfrey -

Alan Bush (1900-1995) - Joe Hill - The Man Who Never Died (1965-67)

This is the 1979 (repeated 1981) broadcast of the two-act opera presented with narration to convey the unseen action.

Many thanks, Paul.

Some of the primary files had pre- and post-echo right at the very end - I have tried my best to eliminate this problem by splicing and have merged the seventeen original files to present Act 1 complete and divide the very long (128 minute) Act 2 at a reasonable musical break.

Here is an excellent 'companion' to the broadcast recording - http://www.alanbushtrust.org.uk/music/operas/jhill.asp?room=Music

Dundonnell

Thank you very much for these-and, in particular, for the John McCabe Symphony No.5 "Edward II" which was one of the rapidly diminishing number of British symphonies I had identified as still missing from either cd or this site ;D

With the Hoddinott 4th and 8th promised us by Latvian we are now down to Arnold Cooke's 2nd and 6th, Iain Hamilton's 1st and 4th , Alun Hoddinott's 1st and 9th and John McCabe's 6th ;D ;D.

I really hope that someone out there has managed to record the Hoddinott 9th "Vision of Eternity" for soprano and orchestra of 1992.

BFerrell

I'll second Jimfin. I never dared dream that I would get to hear all of this marvelous music. Plus, to communicate with like-minded people is a real life-changer! Also, than you for the"Edward II" Symphony and so many others. I wait impatiently for the Symphony on a Pavane. Thank you all.