British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

shamokin88

Hoddinott 9 I can supply this. Shamokin88.

Dundonnell

The Hoddinott 9th would be most gratefully received indeed :) :)

Since the McCabe 6th(Symphony on a Pavane) was not broadcast at its premiere in London and I am not aware of another performance I am not particularly hopeful about that one.....but who knows ;D The members of this forum never fail to surprise ;D

I have run out of superlatives with which to express my joy at being able to access the wonderful repertoire becomg available on here ;D ;D

I made this point a few days ago but I shall repeat it nevertheless ;D In August of this year-4 short months ago- I had a list of, I think, 164 unrecorded symphonies which I hoped to hear one day on cd but knew perfectly well I would never live long enough to be able to do so. That list has now shrunk to 83 with, I know, another 3(Hoddinott) promised from members here and another 10 coming soon(ish) from CPO(4 Kallstenius, 1 van Gilse, 1 Panufnik) and Dacapo(4 Riisager).

If someone had told me that this would be the situation within such a short space of time I would have laughed in derision :) :)

Mykulh

Colin,
  Even though I am no longer a collector, I share your joy at the vast amount of previously "unsung" works that are now available to be heard thanks to this site. Why don't you list the remaining symphonies that you are dying to hear. I guarantee that some will be offered to you by various members of this forum, including me. It is worth a try, don't you think?

Dundonnell

Quote from: Mykulh on Monday 05 December 2011, 21:16
Colin,
  Even though I am no longer a collector, I share your joy at the vast amount of previously "unsung" works that are now available to be heard thanks to this site. Why don't you list the remaining symphonies that you are dying to hear. I guarantee that some will be offered to you by various members of this forum, including me. It is worth a try, don't you think?

That is an extremely tempting suggestion, Mike ;D

It would be the absolute epitome of covetousness but I might just take you up on that suggestion :) particularly as I approach the closing stages of my own upload programme on here.

Once I have concluded my promised complete list of Alun Hoddinott's orchestral music I shall give some serious thought to such a list ;D ;D

albion

Many thanks to shamokin88 for -

Alun Hoddinott (1929-2008) - Symphony No.9, A Vision of Eternity, Op.145 (1992)

which is now on the Downloads board.

This is a broadcast (2nd January 1994) of the first performance.

As some members may possibly have trouble playing m4a files, I've put an mp3 conversion into the archive.

:)

BFerrell

Thankj you! Does anyone know the texts? I cannot understand a word Gwyneth Jones sings.

Latvian

Hoddinott #4 & #8 have now been uploaded (pending moderator approval, of course!). Now, if only someone could come up with #1...!

albion

An excellent day for Hoddinott fans: two further symphonies, this time courtesy of Latvian -

Alun Hoddinott (1929-2008) - Symphony No.4, Op.70 (1970); Symphony No.8, Op.142 (1992)

Many thanks.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Tapiola on Tuesday 06 December 2011, 11:18
Thankj you! Does anyone know the texts? I cannot understand a word Gwyneth Jones sings.

I haven't listened, but I guess Hoddinott is setting Blake? Then it could be this:

http://www.bartleby.com/235/266.html

BFerrell

Thank you. I know it's Blake and Shelley.

eschiss1

The score of Orr's "symphony no.2 (1970)" is at Cornell's library so I should be able to find out more about the work if at all needed... rare that the score (when not actually available online) is that close tohand (not far from me at all.)
(Cadensa lists a recording of this symphony conducted by Christopher Seaman, 6 January 1971. Maybe the announcer (just starting to listen now so i don't know if there's an announcement at the end) got it confused with the first symphony which does have a Gibson-conducted recording and made a mistake? Of course there may well be another recording from Gibson, too. (http://www.concertprogrammes.org.uk/html/search/verb/GetRecord/8133 - a useful site? - lists performances conducted by the composer, Seaman and Loughran but is also not necessarily complete of course. Would that it were considered polite to bring stopwatches to concerts, not because of impatience, but... just mostly joking but did one of them last about 15'26"? ... hrm. No, not expecting an answer! )

eschiss1

Often, the biographical and work-description announcements before the works (e.g. the Cooke violin concerto and 4th symphony and a number of other examples) are reproduced in full at the entry for the piece at the publisher's site (or at a redistributor like Schirmer or Chester-Novello).  So if the announcement is cut off on the tape, you can sometimes find the whole thing there, as the broadcaster was often reading from a composer's or publisher's script. I realize most everyone knew that already, but since I either didn't or had forgotten, hope I may mention for such others as also did :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Tuesday 06 December 2011, 16:15
An excellent day for Hoddinott fans: two further symphonies, this time courtesy of Latvian -

Alun Hoddinott (1929-2008) - Symphony No.4, Op.70 (1970); Symphony No.8, Op.142 (1992)

Many thanks.

"An excellent day for Hoddinott fans" is putting it mildly ;D ;D

To get copies of Symphonies Nos.4 and 8(from Latvian) and No.9 (from shamokin) is (yet another) dream come true :) :)

To hell with modesty/decorum/potential embarrassment...I am going to follow Michael Herman's suggestion and put my remaining wishlst of unrecorded and (I think/thought unavailable) symphonies up here very soon. It can do no harm and who knows what I/we might gain from it ;D

albion

Just added, from Latvian -

Anthony Burgess (1917-1993) - Symphony No.3 (1974-75)

Yes, this is the novelist - his Piano Concerto (1976) is also in the archive.

Many thanks.

eschiss1

According to a Worldcat listing, the text of the Burgess symphony no.3 is something from Shakespeare and the dedicatee is "Jim Dixon, with fond regards". (Unless he wrote more than one symphony for tenor, baritone and orchestra from around the 1970s...) The University of Iowa apparently has a copy of the manuscript (well, a microfilm copy of a copy of, or something. (Rita Benton Music Rare Book Room FOLIO M1001.B895 S9  if one's there.)