British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Holger,

Thank you so very much for the Mathias uploads :) We very much appreciate these :) :)

albion

A very interesting addition from Dundonnell -

Malcolm Arnold (1921-2006); Alun Hoddinott (1929-2008); Nicholas Maw (1935-2009); Daniel Jones (1912-1993); Grace Williams (1906-1977); Michael Tippett (1905-1998) - Severn Bridge Variations (1966)

A set of six variations (in composer-order as given above) on the Welsh tune Braint, there is a useful description of the work here - http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2008/Mar08/Severn_Bridge_Variations_france.htm.

Many thanks, Colin.

:)

albion

A welcome addition from Latvian -

John Maxwell Geddes (b.1941) - Symphony No.2, In Memoriam Bryden Thomson (1992)

Many thanks.

albion

Some excellent additions from shamokin88 -

Robert Simpson (1921-1997) - Violin Concerto (1959); Flute Concerto (1989)

This is a very rare opportunity to hear Simpson's Violin Concerto played by the dedicatee, Ernest Element, as the work was later withdrawn by the composer. The Flute concerto is also played by the dedicatee, this time Susan Milan, and this broadcast is of the 1992 premiere.

I have converted the files from m4a to mp3 and increased the volume level of the Violin Concerto.

Many thanks, Edward.

Dundonnell

These are incredibly valuable and important additions to the collection :)

The Gipps 3rd Symphony further extends our knowledge of this very fine British composer. Her 2nd Symphony was recorded by Classico and we already had her 4th and 5th in the catalogue.

Hyperion did a great job in recording all the Simpson symphonies but never got round to the concertos :( The Piano Concerto was recorded a long time ago now by John Ogden, we had the Cello Concerto in the collection; now we can add the (withdrawn) Violin Concerto and the Flute Concerto.

A great day for lovers of these two composers :) :)

Many, many thanks to shamokin. :)

albion

An opportunity to hear a substantial Ruth Gipps score, courtesy of shamokin88 -

Sinfonietta for 10 Winds and Tam-Tam, Op.73 (1989)

Many thanks once again, Edward.

NB: There is very slight break at 18:02 due to the original recording being split across two files.

Dundonnell

In the Ruth Gipps thread on this forum you referred, John, to a 1969 radio broadcast of the Symphony No.3 by the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra conducted by the composer.

Is it possible that the upload is this performance rather than one given by the Scottish National Orchestra as indicated?

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Tuesday 20 December 2011, 17:39Is it possible that the upload is this performance [by the BBC SSO] rather than one given by the Scottish National Orchestra [...] ?

Entirely possible, Colin, and I have already considered this, but I can only work primarily from the information provided by contributing members.

Without confirmation that the SNO never played the work I'm afraid that I cannot give any alternative attribution.

dafrieze

I hate to say this, but the four mp3 files claiming to be the four movements of Ruth Gipps's Symphony #3 are in fact the four movements of Grace Williams's Symphony #2.  I recognized the opening measures as soon as I heard them - I've had a recording of the latter for many years and have listened to it often

Dundonnell

I am afraid that is true :( :(

Just confirmed by playing both........... :(

Arbuckle

Oh, woe! I hope it was just a slip and the real one is really coming, love Gipps! Thanks for the Simpsons, and all the rest, though.

shamokin88

I'm distressed to learn this. Alas I do not have anything different. I will check with the friend from whom I borrowed the cassette perhaps two years back, but I cannot do that until early in the new year. I hope that this might solve the problem. I will take out the files in the meanwhile.

albion

Quote from: dafrieze on Tuesday 20 December 2011, 23:39I hate to say this, but the four mp3 files claiming to be the four movements of Ruth Gipps's Symphony #3 are in fact the four movements of Grace Williams's Symphony #2.  I recognized the opening measures as soon as I heard them - I've had a recording of the latter for many years and have listened to it often

Thanks for this alert, Dave - I hadn't got round to listening to the files.

::)

What a pity that the Gipps 3rd is still elusive!

:o

It may yet turn up, however, and in the meantime at least we have her Sinfonietta and another recording of Grace Williams' Symphony No.2 to complement the one on Lyrita. I think that the inclusion of the SNO in the original annotation of the cassette is perhaps still significant and that the performance is most probably either -

Grace Williams (1906-1977) - Symphony No.2 (1956)
BBC Welsh O/ John Carewe (br. 3/1973) or Scottish National O/ Alexander Gibson (br. 4/3/1974)

As such, even with an unconfirmed performance-attribution, it is very welcome in the archive.

albion

From mikehopf -

Joseph Holbrooke (1878-1958) - Double Concerto for Clarinet, Bassoon & Orchestra, Tamerlane, Op.119 (1939)

A surprisingly recent broadcast (1983) of the work, and a very welcome addition.

Thanks, Mike.

This means that no less than four of Holbrooke's concertos are now available, supplementing his Piano Concerto No.1 (Hyperion) and the Concertos for Cello and Saxophone (both Dutton). Hopefully CPO will make it five with the orchestral version of the Violin Concerto (Grasshopper) before too long.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 21 December 2011, 05:53
Quote from: dafrieze on Tuesday 20 December 2011, 23:39I hate to say this, but the four mp3 files claiming to be the four movements of Ruth Gipps's Symphony #3 are in fact the four movements of Grace Williams's Symphony #2.  I recognized the opening measures as soon as I heard them - I've had a recording of the latter for many years and have listened to it often

Thanks for this alert, Dave - I hadn't got round to listening to the files.

::)

What a pity that the Gipps 3rd is still elusive!

:o

It may yet turn up, however, and in the meantime at least we have her Sinfonietta and another recording of Grace Williams' Symphony No.2 to complement the one on Lyrita. I think that the inclusion of the SNO in the original annotation of the cassette is perhaps still significant and that the performance is most probably either -

Grace Williams (1906-1977) - Symphony No.2 (1956)
BBC Welsh O/ John Carewe (br. 3/1973) or Scottish National O/ Alexander Gibson (br. 4/3/1974)

As such, even with an unconfirmed performance-attribution, it is very welcome in the archive.

Shamokin does have the Grace Williams Symphony No.2 in his catalogue in the performance by the BBC Welsh Symphony Orchestra/Vernon Handley recorded in 1979 and subsequently issued by Lyrita on cd.

Is it possible that both have been misattributed, ie the Williams is in fact the Gipps and vice versa?

To add to the situation I have a recording of the Grace Williams also made by the BBC Welsh SO/Handley which was most certainly recorded much earlier than 1979-it is on one of my earlier tapes-possibly 1973 or 1974.

I shall copy it and send the link to Albion to allow a comparison of timings in order to determine whether this is one and the same with the recording sent in yesterday or yet another version. The idea that the work was performed three times in two years(by Handley, Carewe and Gibson) is not impossible but nevertheless remarkable :(