British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

Would someone please check on the new Farrar upload.  I went to the site but the part of the screen which shows the files available seems to be blank.....

Jerry

albion

Quote from: jerfilm on Wednesday 21 December 2011, 14:27Would someone please check on the new Farrar upload.  I went to the site but the part of the screen which shows the files available seems to be blank.....

I've just downloaded them successfully and will work on splitting them ready for re-uploading later this evening.

:)

jerfilm

My problem, apparently, Albion.  I just tried to download from BMB and got the same result.  This time, tho, I waited a bit more patiently and eventually they all popped into view.   So the site is slow or my DSL is slow today.  Sorry to have mentioned it.  Will look forward to the split files.  Thanks so much for doing that....

Jerry

albion

I have uploaded the separate items contained in mikehopf's recording of the 1985 Ernest Farrar centenary broadcast from St Wilfrid's Church, Harrogate -

Ernest Farrar (1885-1918) - Valse Caprice, Op.8; Vagabond Songs, Op.10 (1911); Celtic Suite, Op.11; O Mistress Mine; Margaritae Sorori, Op.12 (1916); To Daffodils, Op.13; It was a Lover and his Lass; Shadow Dance; Brittany, Op.21 No.1 (1914); North Country Folk Tunes, Op.28 - Bonny at Morn, The Willow Tree; Two North Country Sketches, Op.34; Two Elizabethan Lovesongs, Op.38 - Diaphenia

Harry Gill (1897-1987) - In Memoriam

Gerald Finzi (1901-1956) - Requiem da camera (1924)

Many thanks, Mike.

By dint of prior knowledge, research and educated guesswork I have identified the pieces as listed above, together with most of the performing artists (details given in the catalogue): members wishing to experience the historically-informative but otherwise generally unhelpful announcements are directed to the complete broadcast in the downloads section.

Latvian

QuoteWould someone please check on the new Farrar upload.  I went to the site but the part of the screen which shows the files available seems to be blank.....

Happened to me this morning, too.

albion

From mikehopf -

George Alexander Macfarren (1813-1887) - Shakespeare Songs: Hark! hark! the lark; When daisies pied; You spotted snakes; Come away, come away death; Who is Sylvia; It was a lover and his lass (1860-64)

John Blackwood McEwen (1868-1948) - Grey Galloway (1908); Suite No.3 in G for Strings (1935)

Thanks, Mike.

I have not split the Macfarren file, as the programme makes a very satisfying sequence and the announcements are useful in noting the source of each text. Macfarren wrote fifteen Shakespeare (or, as originally published, Shakspere) partsongs between 1860 and 1864 and this broadcast selection ranges across various sets. Incidentally, despite his name and Wagner's oft-quoted description (repeated here by the announcer), Macfarren was not Scottish.

McEwen's 'Border Ballad' Grey Galloway is probably conducted by Ian Whyte and, whilst it is interesting to hear this broadcast, it really cannot be recommended as an interpretation - turgid and dismal were the words that sprang to my mind as it ground its weary 24-minute course (Alasdair Mitchell dispatches the work in 15).

Finally, McEwen's Suite in G - this is the same performance that was already in the archive, but in better (less distorted) sound and now identified as the BBC Scottish under Alexander Gibson.

albion

Many thanks to Latvian for -

John Veale (1922-2006) - Symphony No.3 (1995-97, orchestrated 2003)

albion

Dundonnell's broadcast (1973 or 1974) of

Grace Williams (1906-1977) - Symphony No.2 (1956)

is now in the archive. Although Vernon Handley conducts the BBC Welsh SO, this is not the same performance as that issued by Lyrita.

Many thanks, Colin.

albion

Wishing all members

Why snooze in front of the television in an eggnog-soaked haze all afternoon

when you could treat yourself to a BMB download and really get the party swinging ...

;D

Jimfin

Merry Christmas, Albion(and everyone else) ! You've made this year a really special one for me! Christmas Day is almost over here in Japan, now enjoying a BRMB (Stanford's 'The Travelling Companion').

J.Z. Herrenberg

Yes, have a splendid Christmas, Albion and everyone else!

Mark Thomas

Indeed, Happy Christmas everyone!

BFerrell

Blessings to you all for what you've done here. You make the world a better place. Merry Christmas and thank you.

Dundonnell

I was in two minds whether to put this into the thread entitled "Importance of this Forum" but since others have posted here with similar sentiments to my own...

In wishing all other members of this forum a Very Happy Christmas, or whichever holiday you celebrate and enjoy. can I express the almost indescribable joy I have had had since joining here in September. So many others with the same sort of tastes in music as my own, such courtesy and helpfulness from members in, for example, responding to requests, such a constant stream of wonderful, unjustly neglected music to download(particularly British Music, for me ;D).

The last few months have brought great happiness and fulfillment and that is down to the Forum. Thanks to ALL :) :)

Alan Howe

A very happy Christmas to one and all - and many, many thanks to all who contribute to the forum...