British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Latvian

QuoteI should point out that Latvian has uploaded Symphony No.15(Stanley Pope)-which I uploaded a few days ago-and Symphony No.22(Heltay)-which is also already in the British Music Collection. :)

Albion will obviously want to make a decision on which are the best recorded of the duplicate versions. I am certainly perfectly happy to cede my recording of the 15th symphony if Latvian's recording is superior

Somehow I overlooked that these two recordings were already on the site...

If the earlier downloads are preferable to mine for the broadcast archive, I have no problem with that!

albion

To confirm, the following are now in the archive and catalogue:

from Latvian -

Havergal Brian (1876-1972) - Psalm 23 (1901, reconstructed 1945); English Suite No.3 (1919); English Suite No.4 (1921); Comedy Overture, The Tinker's Wedding (1948); English Suite No.5 (1953); Comedy Overture, The Jolly Miller (1962); Cello Concerto (1964); Concerto for Orchestra (1964); Symphony No.22, Symphonia Brevis (1964-65); Symphony No.30 (Sinfonia in B flat minor) (1967); Ave atque vale (1968)

Many of these Havergal Brian performances are premieres, including Ave atque vale (a recording which, according to both Malcolm Macdonald and the Havergal Brian Society, was not actually broadcast);

from Sicmu -

Malcolm Lipkin (b.1932) - Symphony No.2, The Pursuit (1975-79)
Frederick Naftel (b.1956) - Concerto No.2 for Orchestra (1978-82)

Many thanks to both members.

:)

albion

As regular members will be aware, Dundonnell recently sent his personal recording of Havergal Brian's Symphony No.15 (1960), a first performance which was part of the remarkable concert given by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra under Stanley Pope on 23rd June 1976 (broadcast on 14th May 1978).

This exceptional event also contained two further world premieres, those of Symphony No.13 (1959) and Symphony No.17 (1960-61). Recordings of these latter two were already in the archive, but I have decided to also utilise Colin's alternative recordings which have less hiss and also preserve the historic announcements.

Many thanks.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Monday 02 January 2012, 14:24
As regular members will be aware, Dundonnell recently sent his personal recording of Havergal Brian's Symphony No.15 (1960), a first performance which was part of the remarkable concert given by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra under Stanley Pope on 23rd June 1976 (broadcast on 14th May 1978).

This exceptional event also contained two further world premieres, those of Symphony No.13 (1959) and Symphony No.17 (1960-61). Recordings of these latter two were already in the archive, but I have decided to utilise Colin's alternative recordings which have less hiss and also preserve the historic announcements.

Many thanks.

I have another twelve Brian symphonies on tape from the 1970s which MAY be also worth considering as alternative recordings.

I shall digitise these over the next week and send them in instalments to Albion for his consideration ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Albion on Monday 02 January 2012, 14:24

This exceptional event also contained two further world premieres, those of Symphony No.13 (1959) and Symphony No.17 (1960-61). Recordings of these latter two were already in the archive, but I have decided to utilise Colin's alternative recordings which have less hiss and also preserve the historic announcements.

Many thanks.

Well, compare and contrast time! Thanks.

albion

Further Havergal Brian broadcasts from Dundonnell - Symphony No.29 in E flat (1967), Symphony No.31 (1968) and Symphony No.32 in A flat (1968).

Full details can be found in the annotated catalogue.

Many thanks, Colin.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Monday 02 January 2012, 19:35
Further Havergal Brian broadcasts from Dundonnell - Symphony No.29 in E flat (1967), Symphony No.31 (1968) and Symphony No.32 in A flat (1968).

Full details can be found in the annotated catalogue.

Many thanks, Colin.

The first broadcast performance of Symphony No.29 was by the Philharmonia Orchestra(not the BBC Symphony Orchestra as listed in the British Music catalogue) :)

albion

Thanks, Colin - oversight duly corrected.

;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Wow! I see a lot of new Brian additions, and not only by Dundonnell, but those promised by Latvian, too. Many many thanks!!

P.S. Listening to Latvian's recording of Brian's English Suite No. 3, by the Kensington Symphony Orchestra, conductor Leslie Head, played on 28 January 1971, at. St John's, Smith Square, London. Not faultless, but very enthusiastic playing! It's great to be able to hear another performance.

Question: according to the HBS website, the Legend Ave Atque Vale had its first performance on 1 April 1973 in a BBC recording (London Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Myer Fredman), which was not broadcast... So what is the performance we have here? The HBS lists only one other, public, performance, by the Orange County High School for the Arts Symphony Orchestra, conductor Christopher Russell [Meng Concert Hall, OCHSA, Orange County, California USA], on 24 Ocrober 2004...

albion

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on Monday 02 January 2012, 23:36Question: according to the HBS website, the Legend Ave Atque Vale had its first performance on 1 April 1973 in a BBC recording (London Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Myer Fredman), which was not broadcast... So what is the performance we have here?

This was noted in reply #1012 above. It would certainly not be impossible for an unbroadcast studio recording to enter circulation by an alternative route, perhaps a transcription originally made for the conductor or requested by another individual with a view to a potential (unrealised) future performance. The recording appears to be of the right vintage and certainly seems to be played by a professional body, so I am willing to accept the attribution.

Mark Thomas

Seems like it's been there half my life...

Congratulations, Albion!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Albion on Tuesday 03 January 2012, 08:13
Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on Monday 02 January 2012, 23:36Question: according to the HBS website, the Legend Ave Atque Vale had its first performance on 1 April 1973 in a BBC recording (London Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Myer Fredman), which was not broadcast... So what is the performance we have here?

This was noted in reply #1012 above. It would certainly not be impossible for an unbroadcast studio recording to enter circulation by an alternative route, perhaps a transcription originally made for the conductor or requested by another individual with a view to a potential (unrealised) future performance. The recording appears to be of the right vintage and certainly seems to be played by a professional body, so I am willing to accept the attribution.

Ah, thank you. And sorry for not noting post #1012... But the mind tends to get a bit unfocused when you are in the throes of - pardon my neologism - a havergasm.

UC only one year old?! Congrats!

Jimfin

Yes, happy birthday, long may UC reign! And I shall be using the word "Havergasm"!

albion

Many thanks for the kind comments!

On with the show: a work that divides even the Havergal Brianites - Symphony No.4, Das Siegeslied (1932-33): Dundonnell has provided his personal recording of the John Poole broadcast, which I have added to the archive.

This is an alternative to the very boomy transcription taken from the Aries LP (1621). Although there are a couple of minor imperfections (including very occasional 'rocket firework' interference) on the whole this 'new version' brings a gain in clarity and immediacy.

Many thanks, Colin.