British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

UC is waaaay older than one year.  I think Albion is marking his first anniversary on the Forum.  A LOT of changes have transpired this year.

albion

Quote from: JimL on Tuesday 03 January 2012, 12:38I think Albion is marking his first anniversary on the Forum.

First anniversary of BMB (Cipriani Potter Symphonies initially uploaded 3rd January 2011).

:)

Arbuckle

I may have missed mention of the Brian symphonies 6, 8 and 9, but I notice they are missing from BMB, enough to drive an obsessive completist addictive musicomaniac to dypsomania (more). Can someone remind me of what discussion I may have missed? Thanks, Arbuckle

albion

Quote from: Arbuckle on Tuesday 03 January 2012, 18:47I may have missed mention of the Brian symphonies 6, 8 and 9, but I notice they are missing from BMB, enough to drive an obsessive completist addictive musicomaniac to dypsomania (more). Can someone remind me of what discussion I may have missed? Thanks, Arbuckle

They are probably missing because of the availability of the following excellent commercially-available recordings and downloads - No.6 [and No.16] (Lyrita, Fredman), No.8 (EMI, Groves and HBS, Schwarz) and No.9 (EMI, Groves and Dutton, Del Mar).

Arbuckle

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Albion on Tuesday 03 January 2012, 10:09
Many thanks for the kind comments!

On with the show: a work that divides even the Havergal Brianites - Symphony No.4, Das Siegeslied (1932-33): Dundonnell has provided his personal recording of the John Poole broadcast, which I have added to the archive.

This replaces a very boomy transcription taken from the Aries LP (1621). Although there are a couple of minor imperfections (including very occasional 'rocket firework' interference) on the whole this 'new version' brings a gain in clarity and immediacy.

Many thanks, Colin.

I can't keep up!  :)

Later: yes, the recording has more clarity, there is more detail there. I don't mind the occasional interference.

Later still: I must say what a difference a performance makes - Ave Atque Vale under Myer Fredman is a much more substantial piece than on the Toccata CD (vol. 1)... Now you can hear its kinship with symphonies 27-32 far more clearly.

Jimfin

Ave Atque Vale is also now available on Toccata, with various other interesting bits of orchestral music. An excellent performance with Garry Walker

albion

Dundonnell has sent his personal recordings of two more Havergal Brian works -

Symphony No.19 in E minor (1961) and Symphony No.26 (1966)

After lengthy comparison between these and the files already in the archive (now both labelled copy 1), there are points in favour of each: given the importance of these premiere broadcasts in the history of Brian-performance I have decided to include Colin's versions as alternatives (now both labelled copy 2) rather than replacements.

Many thanks.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I'll check them out later. Many thanks to you both, Albion and Colin.

albion

The final Havergal Brian broadcasts from Dundonnell's collection have been added - Symphony No.23 (1965) and Symphony No.28 (Sinfonia in C minor) (1967), with Stokowski's controversial reading of No.28 in a good recorded sound.

These can now be found in the archive and are once again presented with the appellation copy 2.

Many thanks, Colin.

Dylan

Justin case it gets lost, can I call attention to the very welcome recent upload of the Symphony 2 by Malcolm Lipkin. Haven't heard any of his music for years, and what I had heard had been fairly minor pieces, so I was completely unprepared for music of such controlled vehemence and searing passion - a really gripping piece, which in a fairer world would have received much greater acclaim. But so much music, and so little time to hear....

Jimfin

I've just had a complete listen-through of all the Havergal Brian I can get hold of, including, of course, many many from here, and I would like to say a huge thank-you to all the uploaders for making that possible. As someone else once pointed out, even Brian himself never got to hear all of his symphonies.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Jimfin on Friday 06 January 2012, 10:00
I've just had a complete listen-through of all the Havergal Brian I can get hold of, including, of course, many many from here, and I would like to say a huge thank-you to all the uploaders for making that possible. As someone else once pointed out, even Brian himself never got to hear all of his symphonies.

Join the (small?) club! Any works that stood out, or are you still digesting them?...

Jimfin

Well, many of the early symphonies are very well known to me and have been since I was a teenager. The least familiar are nos. 21-29. I really enjoyed the Stokowski 28, but it will take a long time to digest all those works. I still love nos. 3, 7, 8, 9, 12 and 31. I also really enjoyed 'The Tigers' a lot, having only known the orchestral extracts for years. Particularly the full version of the 'Kelly' variations in the Prologue. I still pray for better performances of many works: Brian absolutely needs it! The Toccata operas release makes me long to hear 'Faust', 'Turandot' and 'The Cenci' in full.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Jimfin on Friday 06 January 2012, 10:48
Well, many of the early symphonies are very well known to me and have been since I was a teenager. The least familiar are nos. 21-29. I really enjoyed the Stokowski 28, but it will take a long time to digest all those works. I still love nos. 3, 7, 8, 9, 12 and 31. I also really enjoyed 'The Tigers' a lot, having only known the orchestral extracts for years. Particularly the full version of the 'Kelly' variations in the Prologue. I still pray for better performances of many works: Brian absolutely needs it! The Toccata operas release makes me long to hear 'Faust', 'Turandot' and 'The Cenci' in full.

From the 21-29 I'd pick 22, 24, 27 and 28 as real 'winners'. I agree - Brian needs good performances. Let's hope Marttyn Brabbins and Gary Walker get many more opportunities to show us how good Brian's music actually can sound.