British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

I am absolutely delighted to have made my contribution to the Havergal Brian collection on this site :)

My recordings were made at the time of broadcast back in the 1970s and have not been heard by anyone(including me ;D) for around 35 long years.
That the tapes have stood the test of time is both a miracle and a testimony to the quality of the Agfa tapes of that time-not all older technology was worthless ;D

The sound quality varies from symphony to symphony depending, I suspect, on the circumstances in which they were recorded but I am very pleased that most are considered either as worthy replacements for the previous versions on this site or as at least worth keeping alongside existing versions as alternatives.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that these tapes would ever again see the light of day, let alone that I could share recordings made in my younger days with a worldwide community :) :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Dylan on Friday 06 January 2012, 09:15
Justin case it gets lost, can I call attention to the very welcome recent upload of the Symphony 2 by Malcolm Lipkin. Haven't heard any of his music for years, and what I had heard had been fairly minor pieces, so I was completely unprepared for music of such controlled vehemence and searing passion - a really gripping piece, which in a fairer world would have received much greater acclaim. But so much music, and so little time to hear....

I share your delight in being now able to hear the Lipkin Symphony No.2. Lipkin is another of those living British composers so sadly neglected.

I should also point out that I did upload Lipkin's Violin Concerto No.2 some time ago and it is also available here.

For those interested to learn more about Lipkin and his music-

http://www.malcolmlipkin.co.uk/

albion

More files from paul corfield godfrey -

Alan Bush (1900-1995) - The Sugar Reapers (1962-65) - excerpts
Christopher Headington (1930-1996) - A Clouded Starre (1979)
Nicholas Maw (1935-2009) - Scenes and Arias (1962); Sinfonia for Chamber Orchestra (1966); Serenade (1973, rev.1977); The World in the Evening (1991); Romantic Variations (1995)
Richard Blackford (b. 1954) - Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (1977)

and something by the contributor himself ...

Paul Corfield Godfrey (b.1950) - Folksong Arrangements for Male Voice Choir, Op.17 - Waly Waly

As with the other valuable Alan Bush opera files (provided by Paul) in the archive, there is an excellent introduction to the work on the Bush Society site here - http://www.alanbushtrust.org.uk/music/operas/reapers.asp?room=Music

Many thanks, Paul.

:)

semloh

Quote from: Albion on Tuesday 10 January 2012, 20:58
More files from paul corfield godfrey -

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Thanks for this one in particular!  :)

I taped it back in the 70s from the LP, which I borrowed from Brighton Public Library, and haven't heard it for at least 25 years! I always thought the magical Introduction promised rather more than was subsequently delivered but it was nonetheless enjoyable. Now I can listen once again, with an (almost) innocent ear!  ;D

albion

Further additions from paul corfield godfrey -

Ian Parrott (b.1916) - Song in a Saloon Bar (1963)
Bernard Stevens (1916-1983) - Introduction, Variations and Fugue on a Theme of Giles Farnaby, Op.47 (1972)
Malcolm Williamson (1931-2003) - Julius Caesar Jones (1965-66)

Many thanks, Paul.

JollyRoger

Quote from: Albion on Tuesday 03 January 2012, 19:30
Quote from: Arbuckle on Tuesday 03 January 2012, 18:47I may have missed mention of the Brian symphonies 6, 8 and 9, but I notice they are missing from BMB, enough to drive an obsessive completist addictive musicomaniac to dypsomania (more). Can someone remind me of what discussion I may have missed? Thanks, Arbuckle

They are probably missing because of the availability of the following excellent commercially-available recordings and downloads - No.6 [and No.16] (Lyrita, Fredman), No.8 (EMI, Groves and HBS, Schwarz) and No.9 (EMI, Groves and Dutton, Del Mar).

I concurr with the above request, esp for 6 and 16.

semloh

A propos Blackford's Sir Gawain, unfortunately I think we only have half the work in the downloads - perhaps just Side 1 of the LP?  :( :(
The full work is over an hour in length.  ::)

Albion - is there any chance of getting the rest?  ;)

And, would anybody like high resolution jpgs of the front and back of the LP? They can easily be found on the web, but I'll upload them for convenience.

albion

Quote from: semloh on Wednesday 11 January 2012, 09:43A propos Blackford's Sir Gawain, unfortunately I think we only have half the work in the downloads - perhaps just Side 1 of the LP?  :( :(
The full work is over an hour in length.

Thanks - I'll get back to Paul on this matter.

albion

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 11 January 2012, 10:45
Quote from: semloh on Wednesday 11 January 2012, 09:43A propos Blackford's Sir Gawain, unfortunately I think we only have half the work in the downloads - perhaps just Side 1 of the LP?  :( :(
The full work is over an hour in length.

Thanks - I'll get back to Paul on this matter.

Paul has now sent a replacement file which should be complete.

semloh

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 11 January 2012, 22:31

Paul has now sent a replacement file which should be complete.

I am most grateful....  :) :)

eschiss1

Re Denis Vaughan's Benjamin Frankel 5  - at a guess but of course not certainly, maybe it was in a concert with the premiere of the same composer's 6th - same conductor, same orchestra,
BBC studio concert, Broad casting House, 23rd March, 1969?
(http://www.musicweb-international.com/frankel/works.htm)

Dundonnell

Well if it was then it would have been a re-broadcast of the 5th only because I would have but did not record the 6th.

eschiss1

Further in re Benjamin Frankel - did a bit further checking and summarizing :) (since this information is since not certain, not available in the other subsubforum) ... :

Denis Vaughan performed the 5th symphony, 6th symphony and viola concerto of Frankel, 23rd March 1969 at BBC Maida Vale Studios with the New Philharmonia Orchestra. It was the premiere of the 6th and the British premiere of the 5th. According to communication with Mr. Kennaway (the composer's stepson), this was-- as far as he knows-- the only performance by Vaughan of any of these three works with any orchestra. Much of that information is also available on a few websites (Chester, Musicweb, Schirmer, etc.)

Personal opinion: of Frankel's 8 symphonies, the 5th symphony is among the more accessible but also an excellent work (to speak "technically" two movements are serial and one isn't, but the whole thing makes me think a little - general affect - of works composed several decades earlier. Maybe because the very opening makes me think of Mahler's 9th likewise, and the earlier violin concerto several better-known violin concertos ... but- that's just me... I don't think this is a connection likely to be shared.  That said again, I think they're fine works worth hearing and recommend too the suite from his film score The Night of the Iguana (on cpo), compiled by the same Mr. Kennaway, and good and memorable and striking.
Eric

albion

From britishcomposer, in direct response to a member's request -

Nicholas Maw (1935-2009) - String Sextet, Melodies from Drama (2007)

This was the European premiere of one of Maw's final works.

Many thanks.

BFerrell