British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Re Brian: fairly sure we should be trying to find some other performance for symphonies 10 and 21 if at all possible I think... :(

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 15 January 2012, 10:50
Re Brian: fairly sure we should be trying to find some other performance for symphonies 10 and 21 if at all possible I think... :(

Brabbins has given us a new performance of No. 10 last year, on the Dutton label - an excellent CD, which also contains Symphony No. 30, the Concerto for Orchestra and English Suite No. 3. Recommended unreservedly!

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CDLX7267

eschiss1

ah right, thanks for the reminder!

semloh

Quote from: JollyRoger on Monday 16 January 2012, 04:34

I Listened to symphonies 3 and 4 of Thomas Wilson and I think it is some of the most powerful and moving music I have ever heard.

Because you were so enthusiastic I gave it a go, and listened to the 3rd symphony. Gosh, this is not my kind of music!!   :o :o  For me, it was just scraping and whining, and popping and crashing - I'd rather watch paint dry!  ;D ;D

I am amazed and genuinely delighted that you (and obviously others) are moved by the music, JollyRoger, and I say all this only to reinforce, again, how wonderfully diverse musical tastes are.  ;)

semloh

Quote from: Albion on Monday 16 January 2012, 09:30
I have uploaded my copy of

Arthur Sullivan (1842-1900) - The Tempest - Incidental Music (1861-62)

This recording was made in 1955 by the Vienna Symphony Orchestra under F Charles Adler with the soprano Patricia Brinton (double-tracked in the duet Honour, riches) and issued by Unicorn on LP the following year. This copy is transcribed from a tape.

Although the choral contributions to Come unto these yellow sands and Honour, riches are omitted this is the only recording which gives the (more or less) complete score.

:)

Sorry to say that this appears to be available as a commercial CD, Albion.
See: http://gasdisc.oakapplepress.com/sullinst-adler.htm

albion

Quote from: semloh on Monday 16 January 2012, 12:13Sorry to say that this appears to be available as a commercial CD, Albion. See: http://gasdisc.oakapplepress.com/sullinst-adler.htm

Thanks for this information about a very obscure CD release - the file has now been removed.

semloh

Quote from: Albion on Monday 16 January 2012, 12:31
Quote from: semloh on Monday 16 January 2012, 12:13Sorry to say that this appears to be available as a commercial CD, Albion. See: http://gasdisc.oakapplepress.com/sullinst-adler.htm

Thanks for this information about a very obscure CD release - the file has now been removed.

Yes, obscure indeed. I am always amazed at how these folk manage to obtain the rights. Interesting about it being the complete incidental music. The Sir Vivian Dunn recording of the Suite, at about 25 minutes, which I have on LP, is old and wavering but every note is music that brightens one's day!   ;D

eschiss1

Re Crosse:
apparently Cadensa lists other recordings of For the Unfallen (listed as For the Unfellen - Hrm) and for the 2nd violin concerto - the first given as first broadcast performance, 1969, with the same vocalist, Alan Civil, horn, and Sir Charles Groves conducting. For the 2nd violin concerto no date is given but conductor Colin Davis (same violinist however) listed. Be interesting to augment the archives with these if not commercially available :)
If Cadensa is right, the performance we have of Crosse's "Play Ground" was probably recorded March 2nd 1978 in Manchester.

albion

From mikben -

Arthur Sullivan (1842-1900) - Princess Ida; or, Castle Adamant (1884)

This is from the 1989 broadcast series of the complete Gilbert and Sullivan canon (with dialogue) and is Charles Mackerras' sole recording of one of Sullivan's finest theatre scores (including the often-omitted Come, Mighty Must sung by Lady Blanche).

Many thanks indeed.

;D

Dylan

Delighted to make the re-acquaintance of Gawain and The Green Knight: I agree with an earlier poster that maybe it sags here and there, but nevertheless I love it, flaws and all. Indeed I've hung on to my LP for years, even though I no longer have a record deck on which to play it (!) as I just couldn't bear to part with it (Recently offered it and a couple of other LPs for transcription to members who have decks, but without interest.) Nothing else by Richard Blackford since has touched me in the same way, although he's certainly been prolific: the setting of the Coventry Carol at the end I find almost unbearably poignant!

eschiss1

attempting to add detail to the Joubert listings in the BMB folder, I notice that Cadensa lists a (maybe not the one we have) recording of Joubert's Déploration as having been broadcast, along with his 2nd symphony (perhaps the same recording, again) on "19892". Does that mean February 1989, unknown date?... (fwiw the broadcast "code" of the recording itself is "T3416BW".) No luck via that source it seems with the Sinfonietta - under Thomson and Sinfonietta Cadensa lists only a recording by that conductor and orchestra of one by (Gordon) Jacob, for instance...

JimL

Does anybody have the movement titles for the Foulds Cello Concerto?  Are they posted somewhere in this thread, or on the downloads themselves?  Also, I have a question.  Are you sure it's in G?  Because when I compare it with some other works in my iTunes it sounds more like it's in A-flat.  Was it recorded on a R2R that was a little slow, and played back on one that was more up to speed?

eschiss1

I haven't been able to find the movement titles for it in several places looked, but several sources seem to agree that the Foulds is in G, I think. Have to keep looking, I guess...

John Whitmore

Quote from: Latvian on Saturday 31 December 2011, 22:45
Havergal Brian (1876-1972)

Psalm 23 (1901, reconstructed 1945)
  Paul Taylor, tenor
  Brighton Festival Chorus
  Leicestershire Schools Symphony Orchestra
  Laszlo Heltay, conductor
    [recorded in 1974]

English Suite No. 3 (1919-21)
    Ancient Village
    Epithalamium
    Postillions
    The Stonebreaker
    Merry Peasant

Kensington Symphony Orchestra
  Leslie Head, conductor
    [concert performance, Jan. 28, 1971]

English Suite No. 4 "Kindergarten" (c.1921)
    Thank You
    Where is He?
    Seeing or Nothing
    The Man With a Gun
    Jingle
    The Lame Duck
    Gentle Bunny
    Death of Bunny
    Ashanti Battle Song

The First Orchestra of George Heriot's School
  Martin Rutherford, conductor
    [premiere, July 5, 1977]

The Tinker's Wedding (comedy overture, 1948)

Fulham Municipal Orchestra
  Josef Vandernoot, conductor [concert performance, Feb. 12, 1972]

[i]English Suite No. 5 "Rustic Scenes"[/i] (1953)
    Trotting to Market
    Reverie
    The Restless Stream
    Village Revels

Eric Pinkett, conductor
    [recorded in 1974]

Symphony No. 15 in A major (1960)

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
  Stanley Pope, conductor
    [recorded for broadcast, June 23, 1976]

The Jolly Miller (comedy overture, 1962)

Garden State Philharmonic Orchestra
  Robert Fitzpatrick, conductor
    [American premiere, Nov. 13, 1976]

Cello Concerto (1964)
    Alla breve
    Adagio con molto passione
    Moderato; Allegro

Thomas Igloi, cello
  Polyphonia Orchestra
  Sir Adrian Boult, conductor
    [premiere, July 19, 1971]

Concerto for Orchestra (1964)

City of Leeds College of Music Symphony Orchestra
  Joseph Stones, conductor
    [premiere, Apr. 12, 1975]

Symphony No. 22 "Symphonia brevis" (1964-65)
    Maestoso e ritmico
    Tempo di marcia e ritmico; Adagio
  Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
  Myer Fredman, conductor
    [premiere, Mar. 28, 1971]

Laszlo Heltay, conductor
    [recorded in 1974]

Symphony No. 30 in B-flat minor "Sinfonia" (1967)
    Lento
    Moderato commodo e leggiero

New Philharmonia Orchestra
  Harry Newstone, conductor
    [premiere, Sep. 24, 1976]

Ave atque vale (1968)

London Philharmonic Orchestra
  Myer Fredman, conductor [premiere, Apr. 1, 1973]

http://www.mediafire.com/?g2395qcq6p9ye

From a variety of sources -- LPs, BBC Radio 3 broadcasts, and private recordings. None ever issued or reissued commercially.
The 2 LSSO LPs - the works marked above in bold plus the 1972 coupling of symphonies 10 and 21 - have been fully restored in excellent sound and can be found at the link below. The official CD of 10/21 never sounded very good. This LP restoration is much warmer and sounds more like the LP but without the clicks . The CBS LP was always very toppy and fierce. This new transfer has sorted this out extremely well. As a former LSSO player I made my own half decent transfers from the vinyl but these pro refurbs are in a different league. The restorations now on offer are really superb.
Here's the link:
http://www.klassichaus.us/

Dundonnell

John Foulds Cello Concerto in G major:

1. Allegretto piacevole

2. Adagio molto

3. Impetuoso