British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

We are all very much in John's debt for the immense of amount that has gone into his custodianship of this incredibly important Archive of British Music(quite, I would suggest, without parallel now) and for his recent changes-which are eminently sensible :)

Thank You :) :)

Greg K

The alphebetizing is indeed a great relief.

semloh

Quote from: Albion on Saturday 18 February 2012, 15:09
I have made some changes to the archive:

:)

Albion - you're a gem!
Thank you. :) :)

semloh

I have always wondered why the performance of the syncopated Arnold concerto made it to CD, but the concerto by Jacob didn't. They both seemed like excellent recordings and performances, with Sir Malcolm injecting a sense of fun.

All part of the "unsung composer" syndrome, I suppose!

Jimfin

Yes, I guess A-Z is a little easier, although I organise my own records by birth date, so it always made perfect sense to me.

eschiss1

Must make it somewhat more difficult for certain early music especially though  (and Josquin(s) must have gotten shuffled around a bit in the last decade or so, I gather! :D )

J.Z. Herrenberg

I did find my way, but thanks for taking all that trouble, John!

albion

Another Savoy addition -

Arthur Sullivan (1842-1900) - The Gondoliers; or, The King of Barataria (1889)

conducted by Charles Mackerras.

Many thanks, Herbie.

Dundonnell

Many thanks to Holger for making available the Fricker Concertante No. 2 for three pianos, timpani and percussion :) This does indeed plug a gap in the Fricker catalogue and is therefore especially welcome :)

Holger

I could also provide recordings of the following Fricker pieces:

Rondo Scherzoso for Orchestra (1948)
Comedy Overture Op. 32 (1958)
Cantata Op. 37 (1961/62)
Three Scenes for Orchestra, Op. 45 (1966, rev. 1977)

In case nobody else intends to upload them and there is any interest I will upload them in a few days.

Dundonnell

Adrian Cruft's Divertimento for Strings has now been successfully restored to the British Downloads section, I am delighted to report :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Holger on Thursday 23 February 2012, 16:07
I could also provide recordings of the following Fricker pieces:

Cantata Op. 37 (1961/62)

In case nobody else intends to upload them and there is any interest I will upload them in a few days.

"...there is any interest"  ??? ;D  Eh..........YES ;D

albion

From shamokin88 -

Peter Racine Fricker (1920-1990) - Comedy Overture, Op.32 (1958); Three Scenes for Orchestra, Op.45 (1966); Sinfonia for 17 Winds, Op.76 (1977)

Many thanks, Edward.

Quote from: Holger on Thursday 23 February 2012, 16:07I could also provide recordings of the following Fricker pieces:

Cantata Op. 37 (1961/62)

Thanks, Holger - with two of these now coincidentally supplied, it would be great if you could possibly provide the Rondo and Cantata ...

Paulp

I've just joined this forum and I'm having a marvellous time burrowing further and further into this Aladdin's Cave. One particular pleasure has been reacquainting myself with Fricker's music, which I first came across back in 1980 when there was a series of R3 broadcasts to mark his 60th birthday (the 3rd Symphony is what turned me on to his stuff). With that in mind, I ought to mention that something is badly amiss with the file of the 4th Symphony. I was really enjoying getting back to grips with a work that I had last heard some 30-odd years ago when, at the 19:48 mark, the music turned without any warning into the second of Schoenberg's 5 Orchestral Pieces; and from thereon the music stuck remorselessly with Schoenberg to the bitter end!  :o
Now, I haven't heard as much Fricker as I would have liked to, but I'm quite sure he wasn't given to quoting other composers, never mind plagiarism! So I think something went wrong with the broadcast or the tape or something. What a pity.  :(
Of course, if someone else has already pointed this out, my apologies in advance.

RTM

I vaguely remember Harold Truscott (whom I know only from his writing on Havergal Brian) mentioning that some of his piano sonatas were broadcast by the BBC...would anyone happen to have recordings of them?