British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Holger

Thanks for the Joubert Cello Concerto as well. I have just given it a listen and liked its lyricism and altogether contemplative mood, very enjoyable indeed.

In terms of accuracy: it's Joubert's Opus 171 and it was composed in 2011, cf. http://schirmer.com/default.aspx?TabId=2420&State_2874=2&workId_2874=47309

Also, thanks to Albion for adding performers details to my upload of Fricker's Cantata, and congratulations to dafrieze for his fine ear (as we now know, it's Peter Pears indeed!).

fr8nks

Quote from: Holger on Monday 05 March 2012, 19:05
Thanks for the Joubert Cello Concerto as well. I have just given it a listen and liked it lyricism and altogether contemplative mood, very enjoyable indeed.

In terms of accuracy: it's Joubert's Opus 171 and it was composed in 2011, cf. http://schirmer.com/default.aspx?TabId=2420&State_2874=2&workId_2874=47309

Also, thanks to Albion for adding performers details to my upload of Fricker's Cantata, and congratulations to dafrieze for his fine ear (as we now know, it's Peter Pears indeed!).

Thanks, Holger. I've modified my upload to correct the date.

britishcomposer

I have just listened to Arthur Butterworth's 3rd Symphony 'Sinfonia Borealis'.
Does anyone know details about the quotations? RVW 5th and Sibelius 4th are obvious.
I suppose they are actually meant to be quotations; I have no intention to accuse  Butterworth of plagiarism.
Impressive as the work is, these quotations make me feel a bit uneasy.
Well, the subtitle 'Borealis' may hint at some sort of homage to Sibelius; RVW's 5th is in the same line, being dedicated to Sibelius.

Dundonnell

I believe that the quotations may well be quite deliberate. It was certainly Butterworth's intention to pay homage to both Sibelius and Vaughan Williams in this symphony :)

Dundonnell

Once again, we are in debt to shamokin for yet more Fricker uploads, including two further performances of the First Symphony and  the Nocturne for Chamber Orchestra.

:) :)

Alan Howe

Thanks so much, David, for the Birtwistle VC. Very much appreciated!

dafrieze

You're very welcome.  And for those into whose hearts the very name of Birtwistle strikes fear and loathing, I must say that I found this piece very beautiful and very moving.

Dundonnell

I am a trifle perplexed ;D

After writing in a recent post that Birtwistle's music was, presumably, off-limits here (an assumption which no doubt was somewhat presumptuous of me ;D) there is a request for the Violin Concerto-from Alan no less-and then an upload and a commendation :)

Should I download and listen to it ??? I have to date been totally repelled by any Birtwistle :(

Alan Howe

I wouldn't normally listen to Birtwistle, but his VC, while obviously written in an advanced idiom, is full of interesting and beautiful sounds. For me, an exception that proves the rule. And I'm a sucker for VCs in general; after all, the violin is an instrument that sings. In addition, I'm always fascinated when an avant-garde composer decides to take on one of the traditional forms; for example I would never have given Maxwell Davies the time of day - until he started writing symphonies.

Anyway, apologies if I'm subverting the ethos of the forum. I trust my reasons are sufficient to forgive my evident hypocrisy...

Alan Howe

A further thought on Birtwistle's VC: it seems to me that this is where Schoenberg's VC eventually leads. I don't necessarily like either, but I can hear the connection...

Dundonnell

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 12 March 2012, 08:02
I wouldn't normally listen to Birtwistle, but his VC, while obviously written in an advanced idiom, is full of interesting and beautiful sounds. For me, an exception that proves the rule. And I'm a sucker for VCs in general; after all, the violin is an instrument that sings. In addition, I'm always fascinated when an avant-garde composer decides to take on one of the traditional forms; for example I would never have given Maxwell Davies the time of day - until he started writing symphonies.

Anyway, apologies if I'm subverting the ethos of the forum. I trust my reasons are sufficient to forgive my evident hypocrisy...

Well if an Administrator can't subvert the ethos of the forum no one can ;D ;D

Alan Howe

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 12 March 2012, 14:57
Well if an Administrator can't subvert the ethos of the forum no one can ;D ;D

It was a bit naughty, I agree. So, no more Birtwistle - until, that is, he writes a symphony  ;)

Dundonnell

Well.....you never know ;D

Who would have predicted in the sixties that Maxwell Davies would write eight ???

Jimfin

I think Birtwistle's discovery of stringed instruments greatly improved his music. I recently discovered his opera 'Minotaur' and was very impressed. As with Tippett, having a classical subject rather than writing his own story seems to have helped too.

Dundonnell

Thanks to Sydney Grew for the addition of the John McCabe Symphony No.4 and the Robert Simpson Symphony No.3.

The Simpson is, as he said, the first broadcast performance and is by the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra conducted by Hugo Rignold (who premiered the work). Rignold was another fine conductor who was committed to British Music. Oh....for the days when conductors like Rignold, Sir Charles Groves, Sir Edward Downes, Norman Del Mar, Bryden Thomson, Vernon Handley, Maurice Handford, Meredith Davies were either in charge of or regularly guested with British orchestras and could be heard on the radio conducting British music :(

Perhaps Albion can identify the orchestra and conductor for the McCabe ???