British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 12 March 2012, 21:16Perhaps Albion can identify the orchestra and conductor for the McCabe ???

David Atherton conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra.

:)

Sicmu

Quote from: shamokin88 on Wednesday 14 March 2012, 13:54
Eugene Goosens: Variations on a Theme by Goosens
Cincinnati SO/Eugene Goosens [premiere; 23 March 1945]
http://www.mediafire.com/?cl5fyfac9eymxli

A word of explanation. This comes from a request. I hesitated for a while, where to put it. I was given the welcome suggestion to stow it under "American" since that is from where most of the notes come. But I decided to ignore that advice because the theme and the impetus were British. Anyway, in order, the variations come from Paul Creston, Aaron Copland, Deems Taylor, Howard Hanson, William Schuman, Walter Piston, Roy Harris, Anis Fuleihan, Bernard Rogers and Ernest Bloch, an appropriate selection from then-current American composers whose works you would have heard in our concert halls in 1945. Only the Cyprus-born Fuleihan [1900-1970] has passed from view.

From a broadcast.

I'm confused : is it Goosens or Goossens ?

JimL

shamokin88

Thank you. I have probably spelled it wrong since 1958!

albion

Recent additions ...

from Sydney Grew - Eugene Goossens: The Eternal Rhythm, Op.5 (1913); Symphony No.1, Op.58 (1938-40); Symphony No.2, Op.62 (1943-45)

from PJ - Derek Bourgeois: Chamber of Horrors - Four Demonic Dances, Op.66 (1980)

Many thanks.

albion

Many thanks to Sydney Grew for his broadcast of

Eugene Goossens - Judith, Op.46 (1925-27)

Curiously, some sources (including the 1983 EMI Australia release of the same performance) give the opus number as 55 - but most (including Grove) agree on 46.

In any case, this grippingly dramatic and sumptuously scored one-act opera is an excellent addition to the archive. Hopefully, we will also have Goossens' larger-scale Don Juan de Mañara, op.54 shortly (courtesy of patmos.beje).

;D

albion

An excellent addition from patmos.beje -

Goossens, Eugene (1893-1962) - Don Juan De Mañara, Op. 54 (1934-37)

This opera (originally in four acts) is performed under the composer in a 1959 BBC broadcast, here divided into three acts with two scenes in the (therefore very lengthy) first act.

Many thanks.

minacciosa

Quote from: Albion on Sunday 11 December 2011, 00:06
Established members will recall the saga of myself and Gareth Vaughan attending upon De Wolfe's London offices earlier in the year in order to ascertain the survival (or non-survival as it unfortunately turned out) of their one-time extensive holdings of York Bowen's unique unpublished autographs, including Symphony No.3, Op.137 (1951).

This work is almost certainly, to all intents and purposes, now lost - and so it is with the greatest pleasure and gratitude that I can report that another vintage broadcast recording (1954) of the score (this time conducted by Ian Whyte) has been provided, in answer to a direct request, by shamokin88 and will very shortly be available. The recorded sound is, if anything, even more detailed than that of the Tausky peformance already in the archive, which is fantastic news should any reconstruction be seriously considered in the future.

Many thanks, Edward.

How is this possible? That is just criminal! I would bet that it is not lost, but exceedingly well misplaced. I would love to have a crack at DeWolfe. There should be a penalty for losing an invaluable asset; perhaps losing contra of their entire holdings. If you can't protect them, what good are you?

minacciosa

Thanks to everyone for the incredible treasures contained within this thread. I have spent the last two days reading all 84 (at this point) pages of the thread, and have learned so very, very much. I will contribute from time to time, but I'm afraid that what I have is nothing compared to the resources already stored here. Really guys, being here is better than two years in conservatory.

BTW, if Chandos, Hyperion or Dutton need a conductor willing to learn recondite material, I'm motivated and available!

hattoff

Many thanks to Sydney Grew and Albion for the Goossens. Music I have been wanting to hear for a long time.

John Whitmore

Dead in Tune!! This is a real coincidence further to the previous poster. I played on this Argo LP in 1970 and managed to get a professional transfer produced only a month ago. I also made a few adjustments here and there to tidy it up. You cannot tell that it has a vinyl source. If you are allergic to puns then please stay away. If you like attractive music with a very interesting narration by Robin Ray this will be just up your street. If you are interested here it is:
http://www.klassichaus.us/LSSO.php
Other LSSO titles are also to be found here.

albion

Two exciting LP transfers:

from dafrieze -

Frank Bridge - The Christmas Rose (1919-29)

and from mikehopf -

Eugene Goossens - The Apocalypse, Op.64 (1953)

Many thanks to Dave and Mike for these additions - full annotation is given in the catalogue.

I have tidied the beginnings and ends of the Goossens files and merged them in order to present one file for each of the original LPs.

britishcomposer

This particular recording of Frank Bridge's Christmas Rose has been transferred to CD some time ago:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2000/nov00/BridgeChristmasRose.htm

albion

Quote from: britishcomposer on Tuesday 20 March 2012, 17:52
This particular recording of Frank Bridge's Christmas Rose has been transferred to CD some time ago:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2000/nov00/BridgeChristmasRose.htm

It has been deleted (and therefore not available for purchase from the licensed source) for years.

The LP -

britishcomposer

Quote from: Albion on Tuesday 20 March 2012, 18:01
Quote from: britishcomposer on Tuesday 20 March 2012, 17:52

It has been deleted (and therefore not available for purchase from the licensed source) for years.

Then I don't quite understand Mark's announcement in the downloads section which goes:
'A recording must not have appeared on CD, even on a CD which is now unavailable or which was publishd by a now-defunct label.'

Can anyone explain this to me? Some time ago I wanted to upload a recording from a CD which has been deleted but I hesitated because of UC's policy not to upload CDs.
Is this perhaps the difference that the source must be the LP-version of the Bridge opera and not the CD-version - though both are the same?  :-\