British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

violinconcerto

Quote from: britishcomposer on Tuesday 20 March 2012, 19:40

Then I don't quite understand Mark's announcement in the downloads section which goes:
'A recording must not have appeared on CD, even on a CD which is now unavailable or which was publishd by a now-defunct label.'

Can anyone explain this to me? Some time ago I wanted to upload a recording from a CD which has been deleted but I hesitated because of UC's policy not to upload CDs.
Is this perhaps the difference that the source must be the LP-version of the Bridge opera and not the CD-version - though both are the same?  :-\

*laugh* maybe this does not make any sense because the whole "definition" does not make sense? Sorry, couldn't keep my mouth shut... but will now  :-X

Mark Thomas

I'm sorry but the rule seems perfectly capable of interpretation by most people here and I'm not going to wast my time repeating or justifying it. As for violinconcerto's snide aside, he'll clearly only be happy when I close down the Downloads Board which, quite frankly, is sometimes a tempting prospect. Enough with the sniping!

albion

As far as I'm concerned the situation is as follows - if you do not have the opportunity to purchase an important recording because it is no longer commercially available, you would ask a friend if he (or she) had a copy which they could bring round to your house so that you could listen to it: the download is the twenty-first-century equivalent to this formerly-much-more-gregarious practice.

Whether something has been available on LP or CD, if it is no longer commercially-obtainable from the progenitor (indicating a willingness on their part to consign it to the dustbin of musical history) it is effectively 'lost' to many listeners to the detriment of both their knowledge and enjoyment, and potentially to the composer's reputation. Certainly regarding the British music archive I have, to the best of my poor ability, tried to make it plain that downloads are provided for private listening in the absence of any other format being readily available. As far as I can ascertain, every single download on this forum has been provided for entirely altruistic reasons and with no pecuniary gain to the provider, in order both to further the cause of a particular composer and provide enjoyment for other music-loving and repertoire-adventurous individuals.

Perhaps this approach is not suited to a cynical world.

???

britishcomposer

Sorry, I did not want to cause trouble nor hurt anybody. I was asking quite earnestly.
Thank you all for commenting!

albion

Quote from: britishcomposer on Tuesday 20 March 2012, 21:10Sorry, I did not want to cause trouble nor hurt anybody. I was asking quite earnestly.
Thank you all for commenting!

No trouble or hurt caused (at least to this member) - your points were (and are) always pertinent.

My position is crudely laid out in the above post and is, of course, quite open to debate.

:)

Sydney Grew

Thanks so much to the uploaders both of The Apocalypse and The Christmas Rose!

There is yet another major work of Goossens which looks as though it deserves a hearing: his Silence opus 31 for chorus and orchestra, to a text of Walter de la Mare. I wonder if it has ever been performed, even?

I'm not sure that the Cowboy Fantasy opus 61 - which is in Grove but not in Mr. D's list - is as tantalizing. Perhaps it was Goossens's Battle Symphony . . .

Dundonnell

Quote from: Sydney Grew on Tuesday 20 March 2012, 23:39
Thanks so much to the uploaders both of The Apocalypse and The Christmas Rose!

There is yet another major work of Goossens which looks as though it deserves a hearing: his Silence opus 31 for chorus and orchestra, to a text of Walter de la Mare. I wonder if it has ever been performed, even?

I'm not sure that the Cowboy Fantasy opus 61 - which is in Grove but not in Mr. D's list - is as tantalizing. Perhaps it was Goossens's Battle Symphony . . .

May I add my most grateful thanks for the upload of more works by Goossens, in particular "The Apocalypse" which I had identified as a work which I was most anxious to hear :)

Regarding the "Cowboy Fantasy", op.61: I had excluded it frm my list because it was named in the Boosey and Hawkes catalogue as "Film Music". Since however it does not seem to have been attached to a specific film ??? I shall happily add it to the list.

albion

From shamokin88 -

Ruth Gipps - Symphony No.3, Op.57 (1965) ...

the real one this time (it accords with David Wright's description - http://www.wrightmusic.net/pdfs/ruth-gipps.pdf)!

Many thanks.

britishcomposer

Thank you very much for the 'missing' Gipps Symphony, Edward! :D

You just have to listen for a few moments to recognize her style. There is perhaps a slight stylistic resemblance to her similarly undervalued contemporary John Veale I think.

Dundonnell

Indeed :) Fantastic to get the Ruth Gipps 3rd Symphony :)

albion

From gabriel -

Arthur Butterworth - Symphony No.4, Op.72 (1986), a live broadcast of the first performance, conducted by Bryden Thomson

Many thanks.

Dundonnell

Yes, many thanks to Gabriel for the Butterworth 4th :)

Although this symphony is on a Dutton cd it is always good to hear an alternative version, particularly a first performance :)

Anyone who doubts that Butterworth is a symphonist of real substance should listen to this magnificent symphony. Yes, Butterworth does sound like a British North Country Sibelius......but so what ???

gabriel

Dear Albion,

Maybe it´s the first performance of Butterworth´s Fourth by a professional orchestra, because I read about a premiere in the Warwick Arts Centre on 8/12/1998 (University of Warwick SO, conducted by Colin Touchin).
See http://www.musicweb-international.com/SandH/conway/butterworth.htm

Yes, Colin, AB sounds too much as Tapiola, The Tempest and other works of Sibelius, but his symphony is really very interesting...

gabriel

Apologies for my mistake!
The concert of the BBC Northern Orchestra (BBC Philharmonic) conducted by Bryden Thomson was on 8 May 1986.

Latvian

It was brought to my attention that yesterday's upload of the Gipps Piano Concerto was afflicted with the same digital noise in the 2nd and 3rd movements that prevented their upload by another forum member a few months ago. Sorry! I did spot-check some moments in those movements before I uploaded, but I hadn't listened to the recording in its entirity in several years and had forgotten there were problems, and the spots I checked were OK.

However... I spent some time this morning performing some digital magic on the offending files and removed much of the digital noise. While still not ideal, I believe those movements are now at least tolerably listenable. I've replaced my previous upload with the corrected files, so if you downloaded before reading this note today, you may want to go back and re-download after deleting your earlier download.

Enjoy!