British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Tuesday 17 April 2012, 15:15Can that be confirmed?

Music Heritage Society LP 3586 has an identical coupling to the 1975 Lyrita LP (SRCS79) - the Organ Concerto under Boult and the Piano Concerto No.3 under Dommett: they were effectively the same release licensed to different companies in the UK and the US, now coupled on CD with the Sonata for Two Pianos. I don't have the necessary authorisation to remove a download post, but this will have to be done by either Mark or Alan as the Lyrita disc (SRCD280) is still available.

fr8nks

I have removed the posting. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Frank

albion

Thanks, Frank - no harm done.

:)

It's easy to overlook in cases like this where the same recording was originally and confusingly available simultaneously on two completely independent labels.

:o

Dundonnell

Absolutely :)

No inconvenience at all :)  Just keeping us all on "the straight and narrow" ;D ;D

albion

Many thanks to gabriel for

Arthur Butterworth - Viola Concerto, Op.82 (1992)

As some members possibly might not be able to play .ape files (I can't) I have converted the broadcast to .mp3 as an alternative and put a copy in the archive.

semloh

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 25 April 2012, 17:03

As some members possibly might not be able to play .ape files (I can't) I have converted the broadcast to .mp3 as an alternative and put a copy in the archive.

Many thanks, Albion.... the download in ape format was so big that I had to give up.  ;D

albion

Quote from: semloh on Thursday 26 April 2012, 00:12Many thanks, Albion.... the download in ape format was so big that I had to give up.  ;D

You're very welcome. The original file took an hour and a quarter to download on a kbps trickle ...

... and then I discovered that my usual format-converter didn't handle .ape ...

::)

... so I downloaded another free one which did.

;D

britishcomposer

I am just listening myself through the Daniel Jones uploads. Today it's the Overture 'Ieunectid', kindly uploaded by Holger. I tried to find out what 'Ieunectid' may mean and it seems that this is a spelling mistake. I suppose the piece is called 'Ieuenctid' which means 'youth'. :)

albion

Quote from: britishcomposer on Thursday 26 April 2012, 13:26I am just listening myself through the Daniel Jones uploads. Today it's the Overture 'Ieunectid', kindly uploaded by Holger. I tried to find out what 'Ieunectid' may mean and it seems that this is a spelling mistake. I suppose the piece is called 'Ieuenctid' which means 'youth'. :)

Quite, right! The catalogue entry was correct, but the file title wasn't - this is now corrected.

JimL

Quote from: semloh on Thursday 26 April 2012, 00:12
Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 25 April 2012, 17:03

Many thanks, Albion.... the download in ape format was so big that I had to give up.  ;D
...When he gets in a scrape, he'll make his escape, with the help of his friend, a great big ape!  ;D

albion

I have added one of the highlights of last year's Proms season to the archive -

Arnold Bax - Symphony No.2 in E minor and C (1924-26)

This was the symphony's first appearance at the Proms, played by the Royal Philharmonic under Andrew Litton.

semloh

Quote from: Albion on Monday 30 April 2012, 07:24
I have added one of the highlights of last year's Proms season to the archive -

Arnold Bax - Symphony No.2 in E minor and C (1924-26)

This was the symphony's first appearance at the Proms, played by the Royal Philharmonic under Andrew Litton.

Albion - you surely aren't counting Bax as an "unsung composer"?  ( ;D)

albion

Quote from: semloh on Monday 30 April 2012, 08:14Albion - you surely aren't counting Bax as an "unsung composer"?  ( ;D)

When one of his finest symphonies has had to wait 80 years for a Proms outing ...

... I think I probably am.

;D

Jimfin

There are certainly degrees of "unsungness". Bax is hardly frequently programmed, even if he is fairly well represented in the recording catalogues. Only one recording of the violin concerto, I believe. Of course that's nothing to Goring Thomas or Prout. Bax certainly deserves to be far more sung than he is.

suffolkcoastal

Bax is definitely 'unsung'. His symphonies are rarities in the concert hall and on R3 these days. The 2nd which finally got a Proms airing last year is a masterpiece IMO as are the 3rd & 6th. All we seem to get these days are occasional airings of Tintagel, The Garden of Fand or Mediterranean. I don't believe his chamber or piano music fairs any better.