British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Can I reiterate Albion's thanks to MVS for the Graham Whettam Sinfonia Drammatica :)

This turns out to be every bit as fine a symphony as I had hoped :) Effectively Whettam's 3rd symphony, it confirms that composers could still write imposing tonal symphonies in the late 20th century(the symphony dates from 1978). Whettam's neglect and the fact that this symphony has been virtually forgotten since that first (and, presumably last, performance) when so much meretricious rubbish continues to be peddled by others is the abiding tragedy of contemporary music in Britain (and other countries) >:( :(

MVS-you have already indicated that you have works by Havergal Brian in your collection. There are threads on this forum concerning Gaps in the recorded repertoire of British symphonies and concertos. If you are able to plug any of these it would be wonderful ;D

eschiss1

Re Josephs' 5th symphony "Pastoral" - this work has appeared in a different recording, on CD (conducted by Measham, on Unicorn Kanchana)- that by itself should make it somewhat easier to find out the movement listings - I hope. Even though it's out of print now. (It seems to be 1970, "First performed 25 November 1971 in the Hull City Hall by the Hull Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Terence Lovett.", rather than 1971-72 as given (unless it was revised after premiere?), and published in 1975.) (I see Mr. Herman already pointed out the first part. I have the date 1970, rather than 1971, from a reference to the score, which is headed, I gather, "Pastoral symphony (1970)". That may mean begun in 1970, it's true.)

According to an ebay photo of the CD of symphony 5, 3 of the 4 movements (there are 4 according to reviews, but only 3 tracks) of symphony 5 are titled
Andante - Vivace leggero - Adagio (followed by a fast finale.)

As with a work by Wordsworth (WB Wordsworth, I mean), I wonder if Josephs' Symphony no. 6, op. 83, for chorus & orchestra with lyric soprano & baritone soli has been performed... hrm...

Dundonnell

Eric....listen to the introduction to the recording available from this site which I uploaded last year. That introduction explains exactly the nature of each of the five movements:

Andante
Vivace leggiero
Adagio
Intermezzo notturno
Epilogue

eschiss1

Oh, thanks *whoops*! Though absent the score I'm still going with leggero (which I have seen as a written alternative, I think and is on the CD.) :)

albion

Lots of interest -

from allison we have Arthur Hinton's Piano Concerto and Frederic Cliffe's Symphony No.1

and from MVS alternative copies of the Mackerras-Pope-Poole Havergal Brian Symphonies 2-4 in superior sound

Many thanks to both members.

:)

Dundonnell

Whilst I have no difficulty in agreeing that the MVS recordings of the Brian symphonies have clearly superior sound quality to the versions previously uploaded for the members of this site and whilst, speaking personally, I have no issue with Albion removing the recordings which I previously made available, I think that there is a point which needs to be made here.

I tried to make it quite explicitly clear that if other members could provide better recordings than mine then I would gladly withdraw my originals. I know that other members have made the same point. As we "get rid" of these less well-recorded versions however we should recall the time and effort put in by those of us who digitised, struggled to improve the existing sound and finally made the recordings available.

The original Brian 3rd which I recorded back in 1974 was improved by John Whitmore and the amount of effort put into that task was considerable. It is with very considerable pleasure that I join in welcoming superior recordings which can, appropriately, replace inferior versions but let us never deter others from taking the time and putting in the effort to digitise old recordings in sound which, by modern standards, may be regarded as 'poor'.

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 30 May 2012, 16:31The original Brian 3rd which I recorded back in 1974 was improved by John Whitmore and the amount of effort put into that task was considerable. It is with very considerable pleasure that I join in welcoming superior recordings which can, appropriately, replace inferior versions but let us never deter others from taking the time and putting in the effort to digitise old recordings in sound which, by modern standards, may be regarded as 'poor'.

Absolutely! There has been an enormous amount of work put in by many members right across the entire Downloads section of the forum, primarily to ensure that their recordings can be heard by other listeners for the ultimate benefit of the composer concerned. We all wish for this to continue quite regardless of the perceived 'quality' of any particular recording.

Personally speaking, quite a number of my own off-air recordings originally in the archive have gradually been superseded and I would welcome cleaner versions of several of the others (the Cipriani Potter symphonies, for example).

With a view to slimming down the relevant section of the archive I have removed the Aries LP transfer of No.4 and (with his permission) Johan's copy of No.2.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I have been listening to the four symphonies all day. I am a very happy Brianite.

albion

Many thanks to MVS for additional important Havergal Brian recordings -

the first performance of Symphony No.4, Das Siegeslied under Maurice Handford in 1967

the first performance of Symphony No.21 under Edward Downes in 1969 (broadcast 1970)

Jimfin

Thank you so much! You have just decided my weekend listening for me!

J.Z. Herrenberg

hattoff

An unbelievable amount of thanks to MVS, I'm completely stunned.

And, thanks so much, too, to Dundonnell, Albion and John Whitmore for their work and making all this available in the first place.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: hattoff on Thursday 31 May 2012, 10:04
An unbelievable amount of thanks to MVS, I'm completely stunned.

And, thanks so much, too, to Dundonnell, Albion and John Whitmore for their work and making all this available in the first place.

Hear hear!

I have already started to revise my opinion of symphonies 2 and 4...

P.S. I am (pleasantly) surprised at how many people actually like Brian's music (and even consider him their favourite composer). I also check Twitter regularly and have discovered other music-lovers who don't find his music as impenetrable as it is often presented. A wonderful development, that bodes well for the future.

P.P.S. The recording of No. 21 is between a major second and a minor third too high, if I'm not mistaken. The drum-roll that starts the main Allegro e con Animo after the slow introduction should be a B flat. It sounds more like D flat... But John Whitmore has perfect pitch...

P.P.P.S Second movement is a minor second too high... As is the third movement... Final movement: major second too high.

Apart from these sonic nitpicks, I like Downes's performance a lot. It isn't better than the one by the LSSO, though. They are about even.

albion

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on Thursday 31 May 2012, 10:59I have already started to revise my opinion of symphonies 2 and 4...

I have always liked Das Siegeslied, but have hitherto found No.2 an impenetrable miasma of indigestible clag ...

:P

.. but, now that I can hear far more of the orchestral detail, I am beginning to like it!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Albion on Thursday 31 May 2012, 11:42
Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on Thursday 31 May 2012, 10:59I have already started to revise my opinion of symphonies 2 and 4...

I have always liked Das Siegeslied, but have hitherto found No.2 an impenetrable miasma of indigestible clag ...

:P

.. but, now that I can hear far more of the orchestral detail, I am beginning to like it!

Same here.  :)