British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

PJ

Yes, my apologies. I've discovered all the remixshare files have vanished.

New today, on mediafire,

Arthur Oldham - Psalms in Time of War

Thomas Allen
Edinburgh Festival Chorus
Scottish National Orchestra
Sir Alexander Gibson
21 August 1977

recorded off-air nearly 35 years ago, and my enthusiasm for this piece remains undiminished and it still raises goosebumps.

albion

Quote from: PJ on Monday 11 June 2012, 13:47Arthur Oldham - Psalms in Time of War

Thanks for sharing your recording of this splendid piece, PJ.

The mezzo-soprano soloist in this performance was Janet Baker and two parts for soprano soloists were taken by Morag Cross and Elizabeth MacLean.

:)

allison

Thank you for the wonderful Oldham Psalms for a Time of War, PJ, great new find for me. A

albion

This premiere of Psalms in Time of War (Edinburgh Festival, 21st August 1977) was part of a concert largely given over to music by Britten, who had died the previous year. Arthur Oldham was the founder of the Edinburgh Festival Chorus in 1965 and this was his farewell concert as chorus master. He was also one of Britten's (very few) pupils, making this performance therefore doubly fitting. The programme was -

The National Anthem (arr. Britten)
Sinfonia da Requiem (Britten)
Phaedra (Britten), sung by Janet Baker
Improvisations on an Impromptu of Benjamin Britten (Walton)
Psalms in Time of War (Oldham)

albion

Now in the archive -

Edmund Rubbra (1901-1986) - Five Motets, Op.37 (1934)

PJ

Thank you for the information about the concert from which the Oldham Psalms came. Most grateful. I remember going to my digs and turning on the radio just before the Psalms started, and didn't hear the rest of the concert.

A little personal information about the work. I had a friend who was a talented musician, organiser and conductor in the UK, and played him the tape and made a copy. Subsequently, he went to Paris and worked with Arthur Oldham, got the parts, and conducted the Psalms in Paris and in the UK, I think - unfortunately, I was working and couldn't attend any of the concerts.

A recording from Chandos would be very welcome.

PJ

Quote from: Albion on Monday 11 June 2012, 16:48
Quote from: PJ on Monday 11 June 2012, 13:47Arthur Oldham - Psalms in Time of War

Thanks for sharing your recording of this splendid piece, PJ.

The mezzo-soprano soloist in this performance was Janet Baker and two parts for soprano soloists were taken by Morag Cross and Elizabeth MacLean.

Thank you - I've added the info to the download information. You'd think I'd recognise Dame Janet..... :-[

albion

Many thanks to MVS for an alternative file of

Havergal Brian - Symphony No.18 (1961)

which is now in the archive.

hattoff

Yes, another excellent recording, thanks very much.

John Whitmore

Quote from: Amphissa on Monday 11 June 2012, 01:28

Did anyone manage to download Herbert Chappell's  Dead in Tune originally uploaded by PJ before the link died? It is not in the catalog. If you did, could you please be so kind as to re-up?

Many thanks!
I made a few subtle edits to the original Dead in Tune/George and the Dragonfly a few months back and had it professionally restored - I played on it and Argo didn't do the best of jobs especially with George. You can get it here.
http://www.klassichaus.us/LSSO-CDs-MP3s.php

albion

Today's miniature (but very welcome) offerings from Radio 3 are now in the archive ...

Edmund Rubbra - Dormi Jesu (The Virgin's Cradle Hymn), Op.3 No.1 (1924); Madrigals, 2nd Set, Op.52 (1942)

... blink and you miss 'em.

albion

From today's broadcasts:

Edmund Rubbra (1901-1986) - The Givers, Op.96 (1957); Introit, Op.162 (1982); Psalm 122, Op.164 (1984)

NB: All these Rubbra performances have been transmitted at a very low volume, so this evening I have increased the volume on all the files (and consequently reuploaded those items from earlier in the week).

eschiss1

As a dedicated Rubbra fan noted and will re-download (pardon grammar) :).
I think somewhere or other I may have a tape of the premiere of his late Sinfonietta... I need to find that. It's a very good performance of that lovely piece..., maybe better than the one that's on Virgin Classics. Even if I find the tape, probably will take me awhile to get to digitize, but will make a point of...

albion

More Havergal Brian from MVS - two performances of Symphony No.2 (1930-31) given by Leslie Head and the Kensington Symphony Orchestra:

Victoria Hall, Hanley on 21st May 1973 (2nd performance)
St John's Smith Square, London on 24th May 1973 (3rd performance)

Broadcast details are in the archive.

Many thanks.

J.Z. Herrenberg