British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Mr. Godfrey - I'm guessing (with some nudge from web searching) that the composer of the music of the Hedda Gabler opera is Edward Harper (1941-2009) - I don't see his name mentioned, though. (It may say on the broadcast itself, which I will download soonish. Then again, maybe it's truly and authentically (neo)classical... or filmic... in either case the composer's name would be fine-printish... :D ) Thanks!

paul corfield godfrey

Sorry, yes the composer is Edward Harper. The download was posted in response to a request which did give the composer's name, but it has now become divorced from that original posting.

eschiss1

Ah, I see now - sorry again...

Mark Thomas

I've added the composer's name to the post in the Downloads board. My error in not doing so when I moved it.

Christopher

Quote from: paul corfield godfrey on Tuesday 19 June 2012, 10:06
Sorry, yes the composer is Edward Harper. The download was posted in response to a request which did give the composer's name, but it has now become divorced from that original posting.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused about the Hedda Garber - in the British and Irish Music download, it links to a piece called Burghers of Calais...

albion

Quote from: Christopher on Tuesday 19 June 2012, 20:21in the British and Irish Music download, it links to a piece called Burghers of Calais...

Does it? I've just downloaded Acts 1 and 2 from the HA-HI folder and get exactly what is described in the catalogue, namely the first two acts of this three-act opera.

???

Christopher

Sorry, to clarify:

In the British and Irish Music downloads stream, it connects to two pieces, called Hedda Gabler Act I and Hedda Gabler Act II (Albion's posting).

In the British Music downloads section, user Paul Corfield Godfrey wrote "I now attach my incomplete recording of HEDDA GABLER" - and then provides THREE links, but these connect to Burghers of Calais Act 1, Act 2 and Act 3......

albion

The Burghers of Calais files are in fact the opera by Rudolf Wagner-Régeny (1903-1969) which was recorded by the BBC in 1986 and is now to be found in the German folder.

The incomplete Hedda Gabler broadcast (Acts 1 and 2 only, lacking Act 3) can be obtained from within the British and Irish Music archive.

Also, four dances from Norman O'Neill's incidental music to The Blue Bird, Op.37 (1909) are in the British section.

Thanks to paul corfield godfrey for all these recordings.

:)

Dundonnell

Should the Brabbins version of Brian's Gothic not be removed from our Archive here since it is now on cd :(

Dundonnell

On the other hand, I have recordings of the Havergal Brian Symphony No.8: BBC Symphony Orchestra/Rudolf Schwarz(1968) and Symphony No.12: London Symphony Orchestra/Harry Newstone (1959) which do not seem to be in the Archive.

Johan will remind me of the origin of these recordings and whether or not they should be uploaded ;D

Mark Thomas

Yes, the Brabbins Gothic definitely should go. Thanks for the reminder Colin.

albion

I have removed the Brabbins Gothic as suggested. Colin's post reminded me of a job which I meant to do some time ago but then completely forgot all about: I have now added the 8th (Schwarz) and 12th (Newstone) Symphonies to the archive.

:)

mjkFendrich

I've tried to get some information from Hyperion whether they will ever release Brian's Gothic with Brabbins
in form of a 24 bit Studio Master Download. Several attempts contacting them via e-mail remained unanswered.

Does perhaps anyone of you have better contacts to Hyperion to obtain some answer from them?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 20 June 2012, 16:09
On the other hand, I have recordings of the Havergal Brian Symphony No.8: BBC Symphony Orchestra/Rudolf Schwarz(1968) and Symphony No.12: London Symphony Orchestra/Harry Newstone (1959) which do not seem to be in the Archive.

Johan will remind me of the origin of these recordings and whether or not they should be uploaded ;D

They're from the site of the HBS...

http://www.havergalbrian.org/download.htm

Quote from: mjkFendrich on Wednesday 20 June 2012, 17:11
I've tried to get some information from Hyperion whether they will ever release Brian's Gothic with Brabbins
in form of a 24 bit Studio Master Download. Several attempts contacting them via e-mail remained unanswered.

Does perhaps anyone of you have better contacts to Hyperion to obtain some answer from them?

This should be a question for the HBS...

britishcomposer

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 20 June 2012, 15:57
Should the Brabbins version of Brian's Gothic not be removed from our Archive here since it is now on cd :(

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Wednesday 20 June 2012, 16:12
Yes, the Brabbins Gothic definitely should go. Thanks for the reminder Colin.

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 20 June 2012, 17:02
I have removed the Brabbins Gothic as suggested.

Wasn't there a discussion about this issue back in November...

http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,1625.msg24115.html#msg24115

;)  ;D