Halfdan Cleve (1879-1951)

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 28 May 2011, 16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I don't know, Eric, but I think that the above info. came from the manuscript. I certainly can't track down a library (including the Norwegian National Library) that has a published score.

Pianoconcertophile

Hello !

Maybe I'm wrong, but according to the sheet of the 1st PC of Cleve on IMSLP, the 4th movement seems to be missing in the downloaded files ...

Thanks for that post : it's an incredible discovering ! (but I always said that, when I hear an unknown romantic PC)

Always in Normay, does anybody has recordings of Tveitt playing his own concertos (radiobroadcast or LP) ? Only the 3rd have been available on Simax ...
Idem for the 5th by Knardhal ...

Best regards,

Pianoconcertophile

Mark Thomas

I can't access at present the tracked mp3s which I made from jerfilm's RAR archive, but they all seemed complete to me, although IIRC, there was some doubt as to the divide between slow movement and scherzo in the First Concerto. However, as the final three movements are played attacca, it diodn't seem to matter much. Mind you, I wasn't comparing what I was hearing with the IMSLP copy of the two piano reduction.

fyrexia

I want to say how much i am dissapointed about the second cleve pc.
The quality is excellent.
The cadenza from 1st movement has passage unplayed. And the last movement.. toward the end..  has a huge gap unplayed.
I say... the last movement was shortened to 4 minutes only?
I assume that there was a only a certain time for broadcasting, to do such things.
Not only this cleve work i have seen with huge cut out passages. Nikolai Tcherepnin is also victim. Just watch all the score with the music. Its right there !

Have performed a conducting class with cleve no.3, and there is no problem. Have not checked the 1st pc. Unfortunately we do not seem to posses no.4 and 5.

Tony

eschiss1

also wonder if the arrangement of no.3 as a piano quintet (published in 1926, perhaps also earlier) has been broadcast. anyhow- putting cart before horse- time for me to download what is here and try it out. have enjoyed very much (belatedly) the downloads I've been trying so far.