Halfdan Cleve (1879-1951)

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 28 May 2011, 16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

have only seen the scores and/or arrangements of the first three and that was the first time I'd even heard of the composer - liked a lot about what I saw (even the very minor but decent fact that the scores included so much incidental "premiered and published" info frustratingly lacking to a semi-librarian ;).) - thank you, this is promising.)

Mark Thomas

Very many thanks for this Jerfilm. I have a recording made from the old NKF LP of the Fourth Piano Concerto. As far as I know this not available commercially in any form now and I'll happily upload it if any body is interested.

JimL

I'd be interested.  Collect the whole set!

Dylan

Very enjoyable - and a complete out of the blue discovery! (And there was me thinking I was a Scandinavian music know-all.) Many thanks.

Mark Thomas

Jerfilm wrote:
QuoteI apologize if a couple of times there is a bit of peak distortion
No need to apologise - they're in excellent sound. Thanks very much, it's very good to hear the other four concertos at last.

Richard Moss

Just back from hols, catching up and hence now trying to download the Cleve PCs kindly uploaded by Jerfilm. 

However, whereas with PC4 uploaded by Mark I was able to download for free straightaway, with those uploaded by Jerfilm, the RAPIDSHARE system appears to be asking for me to pay a fee to join before I can download. 

Is this correct or am I missing an option or something?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

Mark Thomas

Richard, when you go to the Rapidshare site, look for the green button bottom left which says "High Speed Download". To the right is a button marked "I want to wait". Click it, you'll see a countdown (mine was 5 minutes) and then you'll be able to download the file.

Mark Thomas

Having listened to all five concertos once through now, I must say that this is very enjoyable music. Not deep maybe, but substantial works which don't outstay their welcome (none lasts more than half an hour). Cleve isn't the world's greatest melodist, but he's not a no-hoper either. I've heard much worse from Hyperion's weaker efforts in the RPC series.

The scores for the first three PCs are available at IMSLP (Nos.1 and 2 in two piano reductions). For those interested, the full details of the first three concertos are:

Piano Concerto No.1 in A op.3 (1901)
Dedicated to Martin Knutzen
I. Allegro risoluto energico
II. Andante tranquillo [attacca]
III. Scherzo: Allegro vivace [attacca]
IV. Finale: Allegro animato
Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Herbert Blomstedt
Thoralf Norheim, piano

Piano Concerto No.2 in B flat minor op.6 (1904)
Dedicated to Xaver Scharwenka
I. Allegro moderato e maestoso [attacca]
II. Adagio
III. Finale: Allegro risoluto.
Charlotte Perrochev, piano - Hannover Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by  H. H. Jaris

Concerto No.3 for Piano and string orchestra in E flat op.9 (1906)
Dedicated to Philipp Scharwenka
I. Allegro energico
II. Andante tranquillo
III. Scherzo
IV. Finale: Allegro comodo
Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Sverre Bruland
Thoralf Norheim, piano

Apart from the fact that No.5 dates from 1916 I can find nothing about it anywhere. Can anybody else help? Also, I can find no internet trace of No.2's pianist Charlotte Perrochev and conductor H H Jaris. Again, can anybody shed any light?

eschiss1

since opus 21 (violin sonata) was published around 1931, I'm guessing there was perhaps rather a gap between the 5th concerto's composition and publication. hrm. ...

Richard Moss

Mark,

Tks for updt on how to download Cleve PCs. 

Have now done so and extracted the (7) individual files from the RAR compressed download. 

Do you have any 'track timings' and correlation between the extracted files (7) and the 4 PC movements (>11).  The individual extracted file titles give an indication of their content but some obviously contain more than one movement.

Cheers

Richard

pianoconcerto

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 29 May 2011, 20:47

Piano Concerto No.2 in B flat minor op.6 (1904)
Dedicated to Xaver Scharwenka
I. Allegro moderato e maestoso [attacca]
II. Adagio
III. Finale: Allegro risoluto.
Charlotte Perrochev, piano - Hannover Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by  H. H. Jaris

Apart from the fact that No.5 dates from 1916 I can find nothing about it anywhere. Can anybody else help? Also, I can find no internet trace of No.2's pianist Charlotte Perrochev and conductor H H Jaris. Again, can anybody shed any light?

I believe the spellings of the performers' names are incorrect.  Maybe someone's handwriting was not clear.  Try Charlotte Purrucker/Hanover Radio SO/Hans Herbert Jöris.

jerfilm

Thanks for that spelling, pianoconcerto.  I thought it probably was incorrect but it actually came to me that way - typed.  So someone else down the line was the culprit.

Jerry

Mark Thomas

Yes, thanks PC for the corrected artists. Much appreciated.

Mark Thomas

Øyvind Norheim of the Norway National Library has very kindly researched the Piano Concerto No.5 and so I can confirm that the full details are:

Piano Concerto No.5 in C sharp minor op.20 (1916)
I. Lento, ma non troppo - Maestoso, ma non troppo lento - Allegretto
II. Lento - Allegro - Largo
III. Finale: Allegro - Andante tranquillo - Allegro moderato - Largo - Allegro energico
Hannover Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Willy Steiner
Eva Knardahl, piano

eschiss1

thanks- was the score of no.5 ever published do you know?