Russian & Soviet Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 17 June 2011, 03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

lechner1110

Jerry

Thank you to tell me Akhinian's information.

I bought these LPs from Parnussus records in US and Russian collectors (http://rarerv.narod.ru/).
  But I don't have many recordings by Melodiya.
  Especially I hope to these

Abaliovich, Lev     Symphony No.2
  Aladov, Nikolai     Symphony No.10
  Astvatsatryan, Levon   Symphony No. 1 "Soviet" (1947)
  Chalayev, Shirvali   Symphony No.1 in c "Mountains and People"
  Dominchen, Klimentiy    Symphony No.1 in d min. (1940)
  Gadzhibekov, Soltan     Symphony No.1
  Gonchiksumla, S    Symphony No.1 Op.21
  Kholminov, Alexander  Symphony No.1 Op.46

I hope someone uploads these recordings someday.

Best

A.S

Sicmu

Quote from: A.S on Thursday 15 September 2011, 16:17
  Jerry

Thank you to tell me Akhinian's information.

I bought these LPs from Parnussus records in US and Russian collectors (http://rarerv.narod.ru/).
  But I don't have many recordings by Melodiya.
  Especially I hope to these

Abaliovich, Lev     Symphony No.2
  Aladov, Nikolai     Symphony No.10
  Astvatsatryan, Levon   Symphony No. 1 "Soviet" (1947)
  Chalayev, Shirvali   Symphony No.1 in c "Mountains and People"
  Dominchen, Klimentiy    Symphony No.1 in d min. (1940)
  Gadzhibekov, Soltan     Symphony No.1
  Gonchiksumla, S    Symphony No.1 Op.21
  Kholminov, Alexander  Symphony No.1 Op.46

I hope someone uploads these recordings someday.

Best

A.S

thank you for letting me know about your upload plans : so I will post different soviet works including the ones from your wishlist (I have all these).

lechner1110

Wonderful!
  Thank a lot Sicmu.
  I'm looking forward to your uploads :D

A.S

eschiss1

what is the Lokshin recordings/broadcast situation? :)

lechner1110

Hi Arbuckle

Thank you for your uploads.
  These women composer's works are very interest for me.
  Especially, I hear first time both Saidaminova and Zhubinskaya works.
  Thanks again these treasure recordings ;)

A.S

jerfilm

Vartazarian, Martin (1938-    )
Mansurian, Tigran (1939-    )

If this is missing information for you.

Jerry

Sicmu

Thx for the Melikian : I played the String Quartet and  I think it sounds very much like...Moeran ! I also noticed something similar when listening to Gonchiksumla's Symphonies : they sound like VW because of the same modal treatment of the harmony ( the Melikian is also mostly modal). Maybe we should now sort the music by harmonic criterias, just a thought...  ::)

Dundonnell

Sorry..but today's link to the Knipper Symphony No.13 does not seem to be working :(

shamokin88

Messages from both AS and Dundonnell to the effect that the link to Knipper 13 did not work. I have deleted the file and uploaded it once more with a new URL. I hope that this link works. I have absolutely no idea why or how this happens. When I uploaded three Clapp pieces in the same session I did the identical thing with each - two at first worked, the other didn't. Please let me know about this one. Best from Shamokin88.

Dundonnell

The download works now :)

Pretty awful sound quality....but that is not your fault ;D

Sicmu

Quote from: Dundonnell on Friday 30 September 2011, 16:42

Lyev Knipper: Symphony #13 in c [1960] USSR State Radio O/Lyev Knipper; Melodiya D 3030/31

Congratulations for having that one : this is probably one of the rarest Melodiyas ever, I think that like Myaskovsky, Knipper deserves a new recording of his complete symphonyc cycle ( 20 symphonies !).

semloh

Arbuckle - thank you for that beautiful symphony by Gonchiksumla - shades of Vaughan Williams. It has kept me company in the early hours. The name doesn't seem to appear on the web - can you tell me anything about him/her, or about the symphony? Maybe there's an alternative spelling?

Arbuckle

Cribbed info on Gonchiksumla

Sambyn Gonchiksumla (Mong. Sembiyn Gonchigsumlaa) - Mongolian composer. One of the founders of the national professional school of composition. Chairman of the Composers' Union MPR since its inception (1964) The formation of the musical language was influenced by G. traditions of European, Russian and Soviet classics, as well as music of his native country of Mongolia. National character is manifested in the writings Gonchiksumly plasticity of musical phrases, based on short melodies of folk songs in the pentatonic scale, asymmetry in the structure of the music the stanza, in the vicinity of the epic melodies of traditional Mongolian steppe lingering song "urt-duu" that has a large range, complex rhythmic . figure, richly ornamented melody (melisma, and tremolo mn.)

eschiss1

I think one can upload a troubled file under the same URL, by the way, under certain conditions- not others (if it's a MIMEtype problem - e.g. if one uploaded it with a unicode-flat in the filename as I did at first with the Wellesz first movement - forget-about-it, it's delete and reupload time; otherwise one can 
upload a new file and sort-of-merge, having the link to the old file point to the new file instead of having to rewrite the link, a mediafire feature explained onsite. But the files do have to be of the same filetype.)

eschiss1

Esinov? Odd- that name seems to be associated with a filmmaker, not a conductor- perhaps he was a person of many hats, not unknown I suppose, or of course the name might attach to several (maybe related) heads, too.  Very little information online about the conductor or composer (aside from what you have provided above- I like adding birthyear etc. when I can to the "composer" field- on my own, I mean...! - but sometimes this is not a possibility) of that particular LP (as spelled there) that I can find. (And I don't have a copy of The Melodiia Discography though the university library up 1000 feet from me or so does. :)  Though I haven't yet checked musicsack or viaf... I wonder- why not...)

Bingo.

MusicSack -- Gontschiksumla, Sambin , or Gontschik-Sumla, Sambyn - born 18 February 1905 in Bain-Chongor, Mongolia. (etc.) However:

VIAF has two entries for him both with birthyear 1915.