Russian & Soviet Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 17 June 2011, 03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

TerraEpon

Unfortunately that one (and the cantata) are in mono. But thanks for the upload anyway. Though I'll have to check, a couple of the pieces MIGHT be the same recordings as on a pair of Regis discs with the string quartets.

britishcomposer

herrarte, thanks for these Bortkiewicz PC versions! :D

May I ask again, if there is anybody who has the Violin Concerto without the 'distortions'? ;)
I am sure they weren't part of the master tape.

Christopher

Quote from: herrarte on Tuesday 25 October 2011, 22:14

It seems one of our favorite Unknown Composers is getting his due as of late.
I'm still trying to find his Rhapsody, which I know has now been included (played) in a 2011 Ukrainian Radio broadcast, it would be easier to find if I knew the performers.

http://files.mail.ru/AP3VND

Hi Herrarte - I would bet that the performers are Mykola Sukach conducting the Chernigiv Philharmonia (maybe with Vyacheslav Zubkov on the piano). (Mykola is Ukrainian for Nikolai, so maybe also search for that.)

There is also a piece called simply "3/4" for violin and orchestra by Bortkiewicz on the site http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/21926   which I just cannot download - do you have any luck with it?  Yes it's certainly a good thing that a lot of Bortkiewicz recordings are now being produced.  I hope this will inspire a search for his lost music, especially the opera "The Acrobats".

britishcomposer

Christopher:

You asked about the piece '3/4':
Bortkiewicz wrote a few violin-and-piano pieces simply called 'Im 3/4 Takt'. They are available on an apex release:
http://www.amazon.de/Bortkiewicz-Violin-Works-Rachmaninov-Morceaux/dp/B001S0AAX8/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1

Edit: Sorry for the wrong link. Now corrected.
I hadn't noticed that you were talking about a piece with orchestra, so it's of course another recording. Don't know if orchestrated by the composer or what.
If you cannot download then just stream the file and record with audacity! ;)

herrarte

Yes I did download that piece, but not from that site.  I will upload it and maybe you can download it more easily.

Cheers,

herrarte

Richard Moss

Eventually managed to download this -  a short piece ca. 3 mins. 

Select the item, click 'download' - this starts is playing in streaming mode.  Then, using the browser tools (Google Chrome in my case) I did a 'SAVE PAGE AS' that triggered the actual download.

Unfortunately this site only allows about 1 download, or attempted download, an hour!

hope this helps

Best wishes

Richard

britishcomposer

Quote from: herrarte on Wednesday 26 October 2011, 20:07
Yes I did download that piece, but not from that site.  I will upload it and maybe you can download it more easily.

Cheers,

herrarte

herrarte, has this other site which you mention also a recording of the violin concerto?
Sorry to be such a nuisance but I've become so much enamoured by Borty!  ::)

herrarte

No, I couldn't find it there. My friend from overseas is also trying to find it. Let's hope he finds it, and the Russian Rhapsody too!

I'll let you know when we track it down.

Cheers

Sicmu

Quote from: britishcomposer on Wednesday 26 October 2011, 20:40
herrarte, has this other site which you mention also a recording of the violin concerto?
Sorry to be such a nuisance but I've become so much enamoured by Borty!  ::)

I don't know what exactly you are looking for, but Bortkiewicz's Violin Concerto can be found here and it is easy to save the file with  Realplayer :

http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/14121

britishcomposer

Yes, that's the site from which I streamed it. However, this upload is somehow damaged: there are many passages which sound like a damaged CD. Now, this recording has never been released on CD but possibly the uploader had got it burned on a homemade CD and ripped it to upload it to this site.

britishcomposer

Arbuckle, thank you for offering this Bortkiewicz VC recording.
I appreciate your effort very much; however, it is the same as that on classical-music-online.net, already mentioned.

Those who would like to compare: listen e. g. from 41:15 onwards: it becomes so very much distorted that you almost get a hiccup.  ;D

I am patiently waiting for glitch-free version. ;)

Please, don't misunderstand me, Arbuckle: this is NOT your fault!!!

herrarte

I think my copy is clean I will upload it, with applause included.

herrarte

britishcomposer

for a 'clean' Bortkiewicz Violin Concerto! I knew it must exist!  ;D

Arbuckle

May I add my thanks to Herrarte, much, much better to be able to hear the fine concerto without the distractions. Great work, and great work by you!

Dundonnell

Herrarte has very kindly provided a link to Steinberg's Symphony No.4 "Turksib".

This is played by the "Scottish Symphony Orchestra". Presumably this is the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra?

The link takes one to a site which is in Russian. There appear to be two files there. I am downloading both on the assumption that the first file contains Movements 1-2 and the second file Movements 3-4. Is this correct?