Russian & Soviet Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 17 June 2011, 03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Many thanks Tony Fyrexia for uploading this piece.  Do you know who the performers are (pianist, orchestra, conductor)?

Dundonnell

Dvarionas Piano Concerto No.1:

A. Dvarionate(piano) and the Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra/the composer.

.....according to information supplied earlier :)

JimL

The Violin Concerto is in D minor.

[This reply refers to Ilja's post of concertos by Bortkiewicz, an explanation I would not have to give if it had been posted where it belongs in the Downloads Discussion board. As is posted prominently in several places, the Download board is only for download links. I have to manually split replies like this off and then merge them back into the appropriate topic on the Discussion board, which is time consuming and runs the risk of the post getting lost altogether.  Not to mention the fact that I find it irritating to still have to keep on doing this! Nothing personal, Jim, it applies to others too. Mark]

JimL

Just downloaded the Russian Overture by Golovanov.  One of the themes he uses was previously used by Lalo in the finale of his Concerto Russe for violin.

fr8nks

Thanks, Sicmu, for uploading the works by Gubarenko.

JimL

Finally downloaded that Kalachevsky Ukranian Symphony.  Some movement titles would be lovely.  Surely they must be on the record jacket.  Sorry if this means you have to go digging around in your record pile, Atsushi!  :(

fr8nks

The movement titles are:

1. Poco andante-Allegro
2. Intermezzo: Scherzando
3. Andante con moto
4. Finale

I hope this helps.

Frank

JimL

Quote from: fr8nks on Saturday 04 February 2012, 17:17
The movement titles are:

1. Poco andante-Allegro
2. Intermezzo: Scherzando
3. Andante con moto
4. Finale

I hope this helps.

Frank
Quite a bit, Frank.  Thanks.  A bit more detail about the finale (Allegro?  Presto?  That sort of thing) would be even more greatly appreciated.  Perhaps it wasn't printed on your source?  A lot of the old LPs were like that.  Turnabout was particularly guilty, as I recall.  Some CDs still are.

P.S. Apparently this is Kalachevsky's 2nd Symphony.  And the score doesn't seem to be available anywhere.  It's on the IMSLP wishlist.

fr8nks

JimL--this information was given to me several years ago by Latvian. You might ask him in a private message if he can answer your questions.

JimL

Latvian

Sorry, JimL -- no further detail available for Kalachevsky. The LP gave no tempo indication for the finale whatsoever. Also, it was a generic sleeve, so there were no program notes of any kind, hence I was unaware of the symphony's numbering. It was only identified as "Ukrainian Symphony."

Latvian

QuoteP.S. Apparently this is Kalachevsky's 2nd Symphony.

May I ask your source for this information, JimL? Neither New Grove nor Ho & Feofanov's Biographical Dictionary of Russian/Soviet Composers mention the existence of any other symphony by Kalachevsky.  ???

eschiss1

His only surviving symphony- I am not sure why I'm under the impression there was a first, I'll see where I got that information/claim/... (Kalachevsky/Kalachevskii/Kolachevskii/... way too many ways to transliterate even without using Cyrillic scripts...)

eschiss1

It (the Ukrainian symphony) has been published, but recently - 1974 score. (About 98 years after composition. IMSLP editors- please never assume date of composition is "ca." date of publication - 98 years is hardly the maximum gap ;^) Yes, this wasn't on IMSLP - not with a publication date of 1974 ..., but JustSaying)

JimL

Quote from: Latvian on Sunday 05 February 2012, 00:32
QuoteP.S. Apparently this is Kalachevsky's 2nd Symphony.

May I ask your source for this information, JimL? Neither New Grove nor Ho & Feofanov's Biographical Dictionary of Russian/Soviet Composers mention the existence of any other symphony by Kalachevsky.  ???
You asked for it, you got it: http://imslp.org/wiki/Wishlist_G-K.  Just click on Kalachevsky (#138) and read what it says.