Russian & Soviet Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 17 June 2011, 03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Latvian

Thanks, JimL. I think Eric has cleared it up!

lechner1110

Frank, Thanks for wrote about movement information instead of me.
  I don't have LPs now, so very helpful :)

JimL

Well, it's a contact, but I don't know if I have to send for the score or I can see it online.  I'll have to inquire, I guess.

jowcol

I've posted the Symphony in C  Major by  SHAKHIDA SHAIMARDANOVA in the downloads folder.  This is a rip from an old Melodiya LP.

She is an Uzbek composer.  I haven't found an Uzbek folder yet, but it would not surprise me.

I haven't found much about her beyond this: 

She attended the Tashkent Cons. (1957-64). In addition to a violin concerto, her early works include a Sinfonietta.
Symphony in C major in One Movement (1960)

And she is supposed to be one of the two women in this picture.

JimL

Quote from: jowcol on Friday 10 February 2012, 17:28
I hope I'm not committing a Faux Pas by putting an Uzbek composer under Russian and Soviet...

SHAKHIDA SHAIMARDANOVA
(b. 1938, UZBEKISTAN)

Symphony in C major in One Movement (1960)
Transfer from LP

Zakhid Khaknazarov/Uzbek State Phlharmonic Symphony Orchestra
( + Vildanov: Symphony No. 2 and Izamov: Uzbek Suite)
MELODIYA D 026785-6 (LP) (1969)

From the collection of Karl Miller
I don't see how you could have made a faux pas.  It does say Russian and Soviet Music.  I believe Uzbekistan was a Soviet republic in 1960.

P.S. Wow!  I guess big hair was in everywhere in the '60s!

JimL

I just gave the Golovanov Russian Overture a good listen-to.  Wow!  Not only is a theme from the introduction used by Lalo as the rondo theme in the finale of the Concerto Russe, but I could swear the principal theme of the overture is the same tune as that used by Miaskovsky in the central episode of the finale of his Violin Concerto!  I guess Soviet composers were pretty much obligated to quote folk tunes in their symphonic works under Stalin.

Amphissa

I was without my main computer the past two weeks, so unable to get to my music files. Finally back to it.

I've added some music by Gliere and Glinka. (I must be in the "Gli" portion of the alphabet today.)

JimL

Quote from: Amphissa on Saturday 18 February 2012, 15:49
Reinhold Moritzevich Glière (1875-1956)
Concerto for harp and orchestra in E flat major, Op. 74 (1938)

Jana Bouskova, harp
Czech Radio Symphony Orchestra
Leos Svarovsky, conductor

Rudolfinum, Prague
22 November 2010

From radio broadcast
The movements of the Glière Harp Concerto are as follows:

I.   Allegro moderato
II.  Tema con variazioni: Andante
III. Allegro giocoso

Thanks, Dave!  I'm going to finally get Ilya Mourometz, too!

TerraEpon

Interesting tidbit about Glinka's Waltz-Fantaisie -- Glazunov used it in his incidental music for Masquerade, but the Naxos recording says NOTHING to indicate this. I actually was going crazy for a bit trying to figure out why it seemed so familiar.

gpdlt2010

Many thanks to Amphissa for the Glière-Glinka Festpost!

TerraEpon

I think the Glinka Serenade is on this:
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=390882
Same performers anyway ("Gran sestetto originale for Piano and Strings in E flat major")

Amphissa

I believe you are right. Thanks for catching that. I've removed it from downloads.

jowcol

Quote from: A.S on Thursday 15 September 2011, 15:20
  Gregori Egiazaryan (1908-1988, Armenia)
    Symphony in B minor "Razdan" (1960) Boris Khaikhin/Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra MELODIYA D 015589 (LP) (1965)

A.S-- THANK YOU for uploading this.  This is a fantastic work, and I've been listing to it over and over.

There are several parts that are just too good. 

lechner1110

It's my pleasure, jowcol ;)

fr8nks

Quote from: jowcol on Thursday 01 March 2012, 16:32
Quote from: A.S on Thursday 15 September 2011, 15:20
  Gregori Egiazaryan (1908-1988, Armenia)
    Symphony in B minor "Razdan" (1960) Boris Khaikhin/Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra MELODIYA D 015589 (LP) (1965)

A.S-- THANK YOU for uploading this.  This is a fantastic work, and I've been listing to it over and over.

There are several parts that are just too good.

I have some more works by Egiazaryan that I will upload soon.