Dutch Music Institute threatened with closure

Started by Ilja, Monday 20 June 2011, 08:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

Dear all,

I hope you don't mind me asking for your support in preventing the closure of the Dutch Music Institute in The Hague - the largest collection of musical scores in the Netherlands, and a crucial component in keeping our musical heritage alive.

Due to serious government cutbacks the institute threatens to lose its subsidies without even being given the opportunity to look for money elsewhere; the motivation is that it is deemed of 'merely local interest', which is strange seeing that it is the only depository of scores and music-related archives in the country (there's Donemus, but they're more like a union).

To avoid catastrophy (and the possibility that scores will become impossible to access for years), might I suggest the possibility of petioning the Dutch government through this web site:

http://petities.nl/petitie/steun-behoud-van-muzikaal-erfgoed

Non-Dutch citizens are allowed to sign, even if the site is in Dutch - it is a fairly straightforward process. You will receive a confirmation e-mail that will lead you to a second page where your date and place of birth are also asked; for this initiative you don't need to fill those in.

Thank you for your time.

p.s. just to make sure: I'm not in any way attached to the NMI, but I am concerned - very much so.

Gareth Vaughan

Signed it today. This petition needs the support of everyone.

giles.enders

I have just signed the petition.  A country that does not support its culture is surely one whose identity is in question.

Lionel Harrsion

I have signed the petition.  I agree with Gareth -- we should all support it.

Ilja

Quote from: giles.enders on Monday 20 June 2011, 11:06
I have just signed the petition.  A country that does not support its culture is surely one whose identity is in question.
Don't get me started... but I'm trying to keep this as a-political as I can.

John H White

I've just attempted to sign, after having it translated by Google, but my signature doesn't appeared to have been registered. Should I have gone back to the original to sign it?

Peter1953

Closing the NMI would be nothing less than a catastrophe for the Dutch cultural heritage. Absolutely unacceptable. Petition signed.

Peter1953

John, you have to fill in your email address. Then click on "Onderteken" (= sign). Within a minute or so you receive an email from "Petities.nl" with a message "Bevestig uw ondertekening op Petities.nl" (= confirm your signature on Petitie.nl). The second blue sentence says "U kunt uw ondertekening bevestigen door op deze zin te klikken" (= you can confirm your signature to click on this sentence). That's all. After 5 minutes your name is listed.

jimmattt

JimL

I signed the petition, but I still don't see my name yet.  I see a bunch of yours, though.  And Louis Andriessen, amongst others.

jerfilm

JimL

I still don't see my name.  I tried to sign it again, but I think it's trying to tell me I already did.  Pass the word I'm in too.

Mark Thomas

Jim, if it's any help, whilst you can view the sign-up page via Google Translate, I found that the sign-up process doesn't work if you try to initiate from with Google Translate. The confirmation email which Peter refers to isn't generated. Sign up on the original page, follow Peter's very clear instructions and you name will be there within a few minutes.

JimL

You don't understand.  I got the confirmation email.  And clicked on the confirmation link.  So I don't know what's going on. 

chill319

Petition signed. I think Giles has stated the case eloquently.  Jim, did you click the checkbox authorizing them to list your name and address?