Catoire Symphony

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 02 July 2011, 10:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

The Symphony in C minor Op.7 (1897) by Georgy Catoire referred to in the Isaak Dunayevsky thread in Composers and Music is a fine work. Think later Glazunov, maybe, and you are in the right ballpark stylistically. Add in some lovely 'scrunchy' harmonies looking forward, maybe, to Scriabin and you have a most attractive concoction. I'll be playing this again, methinks...

Mark Thomas

Yes, agreed, late Glazunov is spot on. A very attractive piece.

Amphissa

Was this added to Downloads? I'm not seeing it.

Mark Thomas

It is available at the Russian download site mentioned in another thread. It appears to come from an defunct LP recording and so I felt it OK to download it for myself, but there are many other files on the site which are clearly rips of currently available recordings, making the site itself of dubious legality overall. There may be no logic to my view, but as owner of this site, I'd rather that people went elsewhere to download the Catoire Symphony than have it downloadable directly from here.

Alan Howe

On listening further to Catoire's Symphony I note a number of elements: Tchaikovsky is in the mix, as is Rimsky-Korsakov in much of the orchestration, but what I find interesting is the occasional hint of 'wildness' which takes the music beyond the more restrained tones of Glazunov, as well as a chromatic density which looks forward to Scriabin (although it never seems to last all that long here).
Altogether a work crying out for a good modern recording. Neeme Järvi, where are you?

jerfilm

Just a curiosity question - if this is not available in the Downloads section, what's it doing here in the download discussions? 

Jerry

Mark Thomas

Good point, but I can't be bothered to move it now  :)

herrarte

I don't know how to upload picture files directly here, so I uploaded the Cover artwork to Filesonic. Now you have the artwork to go with the Symphony.

Cheers,

http://www.filesonic.com/file/1383742934/catoiresymph.jpg

jerfilm

Mark, did you wait the two hours for the download from the Russian site or did you figure out how to get around the time limit?  That is the screwiest website that I think I've ever seen.  You can go round and round in circles, get nowhere.  Hafta wonder what the point of it is.....

Jerry

eschiss1

Mark Thomas

No, I waited about 15 minutes I think. The idea is to spread out the load on their server by avoiding too many downloads at the same time. As for the cover artwork: is this an actual CD or LP cover or what? If so, who are Yedang Classics and where and when was the recording issued?

herrarte

I don't know when it was reissued, but the Label is Korean and info suggests it has the rights to the now defunct Revelation Records.
Yedang Classics is sold primarily in Asia (Japan, Korea, etc).
The file was sent to me by a US NAVY pal stationed in Japan. I have the Symphony with its tracks, timings and artwork and to me it seems is the same one this thread is about.

Cheers,

jerfilm

Well, not to belabor a point, I tried to download this symphony, waited the full two hours, and then like an idiot instead of right clicking on the "download" button as instructed, I just clicked on it.  The symphony immediately started playing and when I tried, vainly, then to download it, it set up another two hour wait.  I gave it up.  Perhaps someone will be kind enough to post it elsewhere.....

Jerry

herrarte

I can post it,  if there's no problem here with Moderators.

Salutations,

Paul Barasi

4 hours for a download? Even in Soviet days they didn't queue that long.