News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

The music of Erkki Melartin

Started by DennisS, Saturday 25 July 2009, 12:32

Previous topic - Next topic

LateRomantic75

Quote from: atterbraga on Monday 04 November 2013, 15:58
I too have discovered the joys of the Melartin symphonies, although I feel the Ondine recordings unsatisfactory. Does anyone know if any other conductor or record compamy has plans to record them? I am surprised the enterprising Mr Jarvi senior has never recorded them.

I agree with your post! The problem is, Jarvi is now getting up there in years and there is a lot of music I and others would still love to see him record. Love your username by the way! Atterberg and Braga Santos are two of my favorite composers!

LateRomantic75

I love all the Melartin symphonies, but no. 4 really stands out for me. It is one of the most beautiful, atmospheric works I know, with a life-affirming quality that reflects the unbridled joy of a Nordic summer. The wordless solo voices used in the third movement (shades of Nielsen's Espansiva) are quite haunting. The dark, stormy Symphonies 5 and 6 provide excellent contrast to the 4th.

Dave

Ditto. Atterberg is quite amazing and I enjoy Braga Santos immensely.

LateRomantic75

Quote from: Dave on Thursday 07 November 2013, 00:27
Ditto. Atterberg is quite amazing and I enjoy Braga Santos immensely.

Yes, Atterberg's Symphony no. 3 and Braga Santos' Symphony no. 4, in particular, were amazing discoveries for me and are among my all-time favorite pieces of music! :)

Dave

Same here, although I have a tremendous warm spot for both Atterberg's and Braga Santos' Second Symphonies. These composers were natural symphonists (as Tubin was in particular, come to think of it).
:)

Speaking of Melartin, Rasilainen would be a nice choice in doing the Finn's symphonies, since he is mighty strong in bringing out the structural integrity of a piece coupled with his penchant for detail voicings (rather like Bernstein, but with less idiosyncrasy). What orchestra would do the honors in that journey is the question. From what I understand, the Finnish orchestras were not interested in recording Melartin's symphonies the first time round and Tampere decided to engage in the project, but with reluctance. Rasilainen may have to go international on this one (as he did with Atterberg's music, which surprised me at first). Authentic/complete performing editions may be another issue.

Segerstam is also worth thinking about here.

chill319

What would members think of Segerstam leading the symphonies?

I have always thought the recording of Symphony 2 was quite the missed opportunity and that the symphony contains the kind of music that Segerstam conducts well. I think his Suite lyrique 3 is a success.

BFerrell

Finnish orchestras are heavily subsidized by government entities (national, state and city) and feel committed to very new music by subsidized composers. I think overall it's a good thing because their orchestras and composers are well taken care of. Much better than in Melartin's time.

anssik

Alba Records might be the company to do a new complete Melartin symphonies; Ondine, I take it, is unlikely to engage in such a project, as they already have their "complete symphonies" on the market, albeit an incomplete one, as it has turned out. Petri Sakari and Turku Philharmonic Orchestra recorded Aarre Merikanto's three symphonies for Alba. THey did wonderful job, and I see no reason why they couldn't excel in Melartin as well; to be sure, Merikanto's idiom is mostly quite unlike Melartin, but Sakari has done reliable Sibelius for Naxos and excellent Madetoja for Chandos, so why not? Segerstam is currently the chief conductor of the Turku orchestra, and would no doubt excel in Melartin as well; the Ondine recording containing Melartin's Violin Concerto, Lyric Suite No. 3 and incidental music for the Sleeping Beauty is utterly charming. I do have one special hope: should there ever be a new take on Melartin's symphonies, this should definitely include the existing material for his 7th symphony as well.

Stamford

Why another run-through of these symphonies.  Aren't the Ondine discs sufficient?  If I were CEO of a recording label I would, unless I had unlimited funds to do so, find something else to put on my discs.  I cannot imagine much of a market for a second set of Melartin symphonies.

BFerrell

We discussed the Melartin 7th elsewhere. Erkki Salmenhaara tried and there's just nothing usable, just faint and confused sketches by a very sick composer.
No one in Finland has any plans to record the Melartin symphonies, unfortunately.

eschiss1

Stamford- have a listen to the recording of the complete and uncut 3rd symphony in our archives and compare with the recording on Ondine. There probably isn't the market for a 2nd set, but one may be allowed to regret this fact and not find the Ondine set quite sufficient, as the recordings were, among other things, based on somewhat damaged musical material, as I understand (I may not be conveying properly or understanding exactly.)

The revised scores and (Finnish-language I think) prefaces to them can, I think, be downloaded (for individual use, not wide broadcast- I doubt they're public domain :) ) be downloaded from a website of the Melartin Society- someone posted the link awhile back, I may have reposted it to the Melartin IMSLP category and will see if I can find it...?

Or am I being too picky? Not being sarcastic!!!