Matthijs Vermeulen (1888-1967)

Started by lechner1110, Sunday 10 July 2011, 23:35

Previous topic - Next topic

lechner1110

Hello Members.

I upload, Matthijs Vermeulen's 1st symphony.
  It's rare live performance.
  I like his powerful music very much.

Please wait few hours.

A.S

lechner1110

Dear members

I uploaded 2nd Symphony (Live performance)
  Vermeulen's 2nd is one of most powerful symphonies.
  Enjoy to listen this exciting performance.

A.S

eschiss1

you mentioned sym 2 has been recorded on Chandos- true- all 7 symphonies and much of his other music (songs, cello sonatas, string quartet, etc.) has been recorded on Donemus Composer's Voice, too. It's good there are these more recent performances though, especially symphony 5 which is so hard to perform (at least according to the notes of the Donemus recording - but listening to it again at Concertzender I can believe them!) (Concertzender broadcast of most of the symphonies.)

lechner1110

Thanks.
  I don't know this website.
  This site include many of Netherland's compositions!

I have All Vermeulen's symphony concert recordings(All symphonies played at June 1999).
  Of course, also includes live recordings of Symphony No. 5. (I.Metzmacher conducting)
  I will upload them.

A.S

eschiss1

this website= the one I linked to, or something else? that's a major radio station in the Netherlands, Concertzender...

lechner1110

eschiss1

Hello.
  I always enjoying live concert from Netherlands Radio 4  http://www.radio4.nl/

Program Schedule  is here http://www.radio4.nl/gids-en-gemist

Peter1953

His Symphonies 1-7 are also available on CD, see here.

eschiss1

We can change the filenames etc. on our end of course but it's worth noting that depending on our hardware, software (my experience is mostly with certain kinds of Macs), etc. , diacritics and other "non-Latin" unicode in your filenames - even if just to provide proper French quote symbols to surround the names of the symphonies, e.g. - can, I believe, create short-term and long-term issues for those of us who upload those files to iTunes (longterm- files that are periodically resetting their general info, etc. - I think, but am not positive, that this relates to diacritics and such in some filenames. It's weird behavior, anycase...)  The solution really is more for Apple to write a better and more robust program, of course!... :)

and yes, Rozhdestvensky besides recording sym.2 for the Holland Festival has also recorded it for Chandos along with symphonies 6 and 7 - well enough that one hopes they'll come out, it's been a few years, with the rest of the cycle :). (I wonder if they might be the same or almost the same performance? Need to look into that - shouldn't be hard, might say at Chandos' site when it was recorded and where.) And yes, there're the fine Donemus recordings, many of which can be heard at Concertzender.nl on one of their archived broadcasts still even along with many other Vermeulen works in a Night Program... (except for symphony 3, I think- or maybe that one too, just not on the same page).  Symphony 5, which I remember from reading the notes at the library to the Donemus LP, was said to have been performed maybe once (before 1997) because of its difficulty (and that once for the recording), does come off very well on Donemus though... looking forward to hearing this newer performance of what's not just a very difficult but also a very good (though not I guess strictly speaking Romantic, except in an extended sense, piece. Expressive, yes; the dying-out minor mode cadence of the first movement of the 5th symphony, and the triumphal opening and closing of the 4th, for instance, are like much Vermeulen both very tonal (-extended-harmonic-practice... :) ) and very expressive (I say, honestly thought.) .

eschiss1

About Vermeulen's 5th symphony btw, (Les lendemains chantants - missing that t! :) - 1941-1945, published 1948, again in 1997) - the 3 movements are apparently
* Avec emportement
* Adagio
* (most places I see here just give "Finale"- perhaps score lacks tempo indication??)