Romanian music

Started by lechner1110, Wednesday 13 July 2011, 08:53

Previous topic - Next topic

lechner1110

Hi. Today I will upload Romanian symphony.

George Stephanescu (1843 - 1925)
  Simfonia in La major (Orchestra Filarmonicii din Arad, dirijor Eliodor Rau)

It broadcasted yesterday
  This is very romantic piece.
  Enjoy it :D

A.S

Mark Thomas

Thanks, a very pretty work.

fyrexia

Thanks again for you powerful sharings !
Never heard of this roumanian composer.

Tony

lechner1110

Tony,  I say thank you very much too.
  I always enjoying your rare uploads.

Good news!
  I found Kuzhamyarov's music mp3 from my collection.
  It's contain Symphony no.3 and Sax concerto.
  I listened it after a long absence.
  These are very very Exotic works.
  I will upload as soon as possible!

A.S

eschiss1

there's been some very good Romanian 20th century symphonism that I've heard (of course counting Enescu, but others too). And orchestral music (an LP of a work by Vieru at the university library here was coupled with a very attractive - I know I've mentioned this, apologies! - violin concerto by Capoianu. Liked that so much that I've yet to listen to the Vieru, alas.)

dafrieze

Many thanks for the Stephanescu symphony!  I know nothing about this work or this composer.  It sounds quite a lot like Spohr, but with sparks of its own personality.

eschiss1

Stephanescu (Stephănescu), George (other spellings probably) - 1843-1925 - brief bio here - symphony in A (composed or published in 1869, so only 10 years after Spohr's death, and the general style was still current, I'd say...) recorded in 1973 and released on the Electrecord LP label (reissued on CD in 1990 ) by the Cluj-Napoca Philharmonic Orchestra, either Emil Simon or Paul Popescu conducting if it doesn't say in the other thread (haven't checked ... !) (a more recent CD, 2003, has a concert overture by the same composer according to Worldcat- perhaps the National Overture of 1882 listed in Wikipedia, perhaps something else?)

Mark Thomas

Many thanks for Castaldi, AS.

eschiss1

a performance of the Castaldi - probably a remaster of the 1960s LP of the work - was on a 2003 Bucharest (Ministerului Culturii secultelor din Fondul National Cultural) CD. (Along with recordings of works by Flechtenmacher, Stephanescu (overture), Caudella, and Alessandrescu's Acteon. The last-named's Sketch Autumn Dawn is occasionally re-broadcast over European Notturno/Radio 3 Through the Night - good stuff...

britishcomposer

A fine piece, the Castaldi, thanks! :)
Just for information: it was written in 1907.

I see there is no English wikipedia entry, so here is 'my' google translation, slightly edited:

Alfonso Castaldi (born April 23 1874 in Maddalone; † 6 August 1942 in Bucharest, Romania) was an Italian composer, conductor and music educator.

Until 1883 Castaldi had lessons with Michele Picillo Serino and Luigi in his hometown and then studied at the Conservatory of Naples, harmony, counterpoint and composition with Paolo Serrao, Francesco Cilea and Umberto Giordano.

From 1896 to 1901 he taught music theory in Galati, mandolin, guitar and violin. From 1904 to 1940 he was professor at the Conservatory of Bucharest for harmony, counterpoint, orchestration and composition. In addition, from 1925 to 1929 he was inspector at the Ministry of Music.

Castaldi founded in 1914, the Youth Orchestra of Bucharest, in 1920 he was among the founding members of the Romanian Composers' Union. In 1928 he received the Music Prize of the Ministry of Religion and the Arts and in 1929 was awarded the National Prize for Music.

In addition, he also worked as a journalist and published a book of poems in 1892 in Naples. Finally, he was also a renowned landscape painter and portrait artist and member of the group led by Jean Alexandru Steriadi, Camil Ressu, Frederic Storck, Paul Verona, Ştefan Luchian, Ştefan Dimitrescu, Alexandru Szathmary, Iosif Iser and Oscar Hann.

Latvian

Lyubomir Pipkov's First Symphony is an excellent work, and perhaps there's some confusion because a Romanian orchestra is performing in this recording. However, the conductor and composer are definitely Bulgarian, not Romanian.

lechner1110

Ooops!   I confused it.

A true statement

Konstantin Iliev / Sofia Philharmonic Orchestra

Thank your notice.

A.S

lechner1110

Dear, Holger

Thank you very much to share music of Ion Dumitrescu.
  I felt it is a nice piece , filled with Romanian folk music.

I'm looking forward to listen his music , broadcast at Romania radio in future.

Thanks        (A.S)

Christopher

There is a very interesting version of Enescu's Cello Sonata No.1 (first movement) that is used in the movie The Royal Tenenbaums.  I didn't like the movie, but love the music!  You can hear it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RCeQ0JwuJI 

The notes say "op.26 Sonata For Cello & Piano In F Minor- Enescu, The Mutato Muzika Orchestra sound track from The Royal Tenenbaums movie an interesting adaptation of Enescu's Sonata for cello and piano in f minor by Mark Mothersbaugh".

The original version is also well worth listening to, in case you don't know it.

eschiss1

any evidence that the youtube recording isn't from one of the commercial recordings of the work, though (Spanoghe, Buruiana, Rust, that I can find offhand) ? :)