Romanian music

Started by lechner1110, Wednesday 13 July 2011, 08:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Could I just add-in the spirit of Christmas Good Cheer-that, having almost entirely restricted my involvement to date to uploading (mainly British) music and to downloading British, American, French, German and Scandinavian music it is now a wonderful treat to be able to turn to all the treasures which, I know, are contained in the Russian, Polish, Czech, Rumanian, Japanese and other Download sections :) :)

This is a post-Christmas treat I have been saving up for myself ;D ;D ;D

Holger

fr8nks, thanks for your recent uploads. I am glad to have Richter's Variations and also the Řídký Serenade now - great you fulfilled my request that quickly.

jerfilm

Are the Variations for piano and orchestra of Richter his opus 121?   I have a cassette of that but it says that it was composed in 1924 and I'm wondering if that is an error??

Jerry

fr8nks

Jerry, It is Richter's opus 121 and I can't confirm either date. I made an entry in my records that it was 1943. Please let me know if you can verify either date.

Holger

If Richter's Opus Numbers make any sense then 1943 will be more reasonable. Actually, 1943 is what the New Grove entry on Richter says as well. The key of this piece is A Minor, by the way.

fr8nks

JimL

If anybody has some movement titles for Richter's 5th, I'd mightily appreciate it.  Now THAT is one DAMN fine symphony!

JimL

Fr8nks, are you sure about the movements of Richter S 3?  Two Andante molto moderatos in a row?  Mayhap the 1st movement is Allegro molto moderato?

jerfilm

I'm inclinded to agree on the 1943 date.  1924 would be pretty early for an opus 121.  Perhaps I was originally told 1942 and did a switcheroo.   Which still wouldn't have been correct.  Thanks for the help.

Jerry

fr8nks

JimL, I received the information from Latvian several years ago. I will ask him to check it.

eschiss1

By the way, Worldcat seems to give the symphony no.3 the opus number 62 (from a record of the same LP conducted by Galati) but I may be misunderstanding. Parts and perhaps score for symphony 5 in D were published a few years ago so movement titles are "hypothetically" available (I think a Leipzig library has them. Karlsruhe: Frieder Latzina has been publishing/republishing a whole load of this composer's music.)

Holger

The information about movement titles for Richter's Third and the Carpathian Suite exactly corresponds to what is written on the LP in question, and yes, there are two Andante molto moderatos. I think this could well make sense because if you listen to the first movement the initial tempo is rather slow - which changes later but this wouldn't be the first LP / CD on which they only state the first tempo marking.

In terms of keeping the catalogue precise, here are the data on all the Richter pieces which were uploaded here as far as I could find them out:

Symphony No. 3 in G Minor, Op. 62 (1925) (not 1935)
Symphony No. 5 in D Major, Op. 106 (1936)
Suite for Orchestra No. 2 in F Major Op. 85 "Carpathian" (1923)
Concerto for Piano and Orchestra in B Minor, Op. 58 (1918-20)
Variations for Piano and Orchestra in A Minor, Op. 121 (1943)

In case of the Suite, opus number and date of composition really show some differences but that's all right as I think, all sources state the same in this case. As I said New Grove says the Variations were composed in 1943 and this makes sense in my view. I wanted to check the MGG (the German equivalent of New Grove) article in addition but in fact, there is no MGG article about Richter. This is somewhat astonishing as Richter is actually a German composer (member of the German minority in Romania).

fr8nks

Thanks for your help, Holger. I've added the opus numbers and corrected the date. Thanks to all of you for the favorable comments on Symphony No.5. The Otaka Cello Concerto that I posted in the Japanese folder is equally enjoyable.

JimL

Quote from: Holger on Wednesday 28 December 2011, 07:47
The information about movement titles for Richter's Third and the Carpathian Suite exactly corresponds to what is written on the LP in question, and yes, there are two Andante molto moderatos. I think this could well make sense because if you listen to the first movement the initial tempo is rather slow - which changes later but this wouldn't be the first LP / CD on which they only state the first tempo marking.
Haven't downloaded this one yet, but you're probably right.  It may be just the slow introduction to the main body of the first movement, and, as you've noted, they didn't give the tempo of the rest of the movement.

Amphissa

John Dracula from Romania? Wow! Gotta love it!