Belgian music

Started by lechner1110, Friday 15 July 2011, 10:57

Previous topic - Next topic

lechner1110

Hello
   I upload next symphonies on Download board.

Jef Van Hoof; Symphony no.1 in A major
   Jef Maes; Symphony in G major

All Best
                                                                                           A.S

eschiss1

the van Hoof first symphony was on Classical Choice TV (channel 740 in my area)  probably in the new Phaedra CD (cond. by F. Terby) a few days ago, I noticed. (I'm not positive- I didn't write down the conductor).

(for a TV station that I expected to play Beethoven symphony movements all the time alternating with arrangements of Rossini overtures and snippets of Pachelbel's Canon they've actually almost exceeded my best expectations, not my worst, so the Van Hoof symphony was not that unusual a choice for them...)

(not meant as a knock on Beethoven, my favorite composer... hopefully my intent is clear)

fyrexia

A.S,

Thank you as usually, for you rare symphonies !
Yet another european composer i never heard of!

Tony

Paul Barasi

Wot – Belgian music without remembering Guillaume Lekeu? Not any more. He still slips onto the occasional chamber music CD but he had a wonderful feel for orchestral music. I don't suppose there are any copies left of the Ricercar set issued 20 years ago (If you see any of this, do snap 'em up) ...  Barberine Prelude;  Hamlet, Ophelia too from a study symphony, Chant de triomphale deliverance, Introduction et Adagio – all great stuff and all ignored by the world.

eschiss1

the Lekeu 2nd etude symphonique is stunning, no argument... (as Belgian composers go I also like Legley and a number of others... :) )

eschiss1

Kersters symphony no.3 op.39 (1967, pub.1975) - movements
*Largo
*Poco allegro
*Allegro molto

Ryelandt- still looking for the tempo headers. Op.108, 1933.
Thanks! (I have heard of but not, I think, yet heard Ryelandt. Symphony no.5 has been recorded on CD too, in a new performance- well, no longer new, released in 1991 - conducted by Peire, with sym. 3 and a suite. Maybe allmusic.com has info about that CD, or something- checking.)

lechner1110

eschiss1

Thank you very much detail explanation always ;)
  I have Ryelandt's CD which contains Sym3 and sym5 by P.Peire.
  Both symphonies are petit work than his large scale symphony no.4
  But I like  Sym3 and 5 very much.
  Both works are filled with romantic flavor of Flemish.

A.S

jimmosk

Quote from: A.S on Sunday 17 July 2011, 13:52
  I have Ryelandt's CD which contains Sym3 and sym5 by P.Peire.
  Both symphonies are petit work than his large scale symphony no.4

I have to disagree with you there. While Sym5 is indeed small-scale and rather Neoclassical, Ryelandt's Third is ambitious and dramatic. It's true that it's only 32 minutes long, not the same size as Ryelandt's huge Sym4... but it's about as "petit" in ambition as a Taneyev symphony!

-J

--
Jim Moskowitz
The Unknown Composers Page: http://kith.org/jimmosk/TOC.html
My latest list of unusual classical CDs for auction: http://tinyurl.com/jimmosk

lechner1110

jimmosk

I understand.
  I shouldn't have used word 'petit'.
 I agree with you.

A.S

jerfilm

Oh, Ilja, I love the Benoit oratorio and I'm only about 2/3rds of the way thru the Prelude....

Thanks - Jerry

Ilja

Hi Jerry,

Glad to hear it. More coming up!

lechner1110

Hello Arbuckle

Thank you very much to upload many Belgian Composers music (and other countries music too!)

I like Belgium symphonic music very much.
  So I hope to listen next Symphonies long time.
  I hope someone will share these someday!

Baeyens, August   Symphony No.3
  Brusselmans, Michel   Symphony No.2 and no3
  Chevreuille, Raymond   Symphony No.2 "Des Souvenirs"(1944)
  de Jong, Marinus   Symphony No.2
  Meulemans, Arthur   Symphony No.6 "Sea Symphony"
  Rasse, Francois   Symphonie Romantique
  Schoemaker, Maurice   Symphony in a

A.S

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Arbuckle, for Tinel's Feest - previously I've only known his Polyeucte.

A.S,: I have a recording of Rasse's Symphonie Romantique and will upload it to MediaFire later today, if no one beats me to it!

lechner1110

Hello Mark

Wonderful!!
  I'm looking forward it!
  Thanks a lot!!

A.S

Mark Thomas

Rasse's Symphonie Romantique has now been added to this thread in the Downloads board.