Austrian Composers

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 21 July 2011, 11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Is the Weigl another Wittgenstein commission?

Ah.  Never mind.  I see it was dedicated to him, but not commissioned by him, and apparently never performed by him either.

Dundonnell

The Hans Gal Music for for String Orchestra has been made available in the Austrian Music section but his Cello Concertino and the Cantata "De Profundis" are in the British Music Catalogue.

I have recently posted a catalogue of Gal's orchestral music, treating him as an Austrian composer(as indeed I did Toch, Weigl and Wellesz).

I think that we need to be consistent :)  In which case it might make sense to move Gal out of the British section ???

shamokin88

Marcel Rubin

Something has happened to the September 2011 Arbuckle upload of a handful of Rubin's pieces, including his 8th symphony. The URL leads to a page with no information or at least no information I can figure out how to use.

The suggestion was made that others could fill in the blanks of the other symphonies. I can supply 5, 7, 9 and 10 in addition to those subsequently uploaded but not 6 - and 8 has evidently flown the coop.

Best to all

Arbuckle

Will re-upload Rubin No. 8 as per Shamokin request

swanekj

Which Austrian composers might be deemed "popular only under Anschluss"?  Recordings of such must be rare.

shamokin88

Many thanks from Shamokin88 for the return of the Rubins; I will put up such symphonies as I have tomorrow.

Dundonnell

It is only a few days ago that I posted a complete catalogue of Marcel Rubin's orchestral music.

It is a wonderful surprise to be able to update the catalogue with the addition of five more Rubin symphonies available here. This means that all ten of Rubin's symphonies can be downloaded from this site :) Many thanks to Shamokin and MVS :)

eschiss1

Kaufmann sym. 3- the orchestra's description sounds similar, not sure - the premiere was given " 22.12.1967, Wien, Großer Sendesaal des ORF, Großes Rundfunkorchester, Dirigent: K. Etti" (see Armin-Kaufmann.at) - wondering if that broadcast might be of the 1967 premiere of the 1962-66 work (symphony no.3, op.83.)

oleander55

...could be!  I just have the information supplied to me on the tape... which is usually reliable since it comes from Mike Herman.

eschiss1

About Rubin 9 - who was Walter Fägel? I admit I have never heard of this conductor, which says nothing of course...
it seems MusicSack and some other sources haven't either. I'll keep looking. (The conductor's name as pronounced doesn't sound like Fägel to me- which I think would be more of an eh or aei sound - I'll have to check my pronouncing sources :) ... , but more like Feigle? Weigle? Weigele? - the vowel comes out distinctly as an aye/hard i...)

I have it, I think: Walter Veigl, who is mentioned as a conductor elsewhere, is also a modern composer, the pronunciation and dates fit, I think. Yes. Well, at least, perhaps? (The announcement before Rubin 9 also lists at least 3 of the movements/sections of the work in German. Good, one doesn't have to seek them elsewhere. Allegro deciso - molto tranquillo - Tema con variazioni - (didn't catch the last if there is a fourth- will listen soon and see. :) )

shamokin88

The recent Karl Weigl offerings are most welcome, especially the Triad LP with the 6th String Quartet - I used to have a copy. The Record Hunter store in New York had a bin full of these things during the late 1960s at 99 cents the copy.

There is [or was] a two CD set of his music issued in a limited edition by the Karl Weigl Foundation offering a complete Viola Sonata, the 4th String Quartet, the Two Pieces for 'Cello & Piano on one disc and a collection of songs on the other <kweigl@brsgroup.com>.

I will shortly put up the Violin Concerto, the String Quartet #8, the adagio - only - from the Symphony #2,  the same Two Pieces for 'Cello & Piano, the latter from a different source, and the Pied Piper orchestral suite, if I can find it.

The String Quartet #2 has not yet been recorded but it was played in Philadelphia about fifty years ago as part of a recurring chamber music concert series offering mostly baroque and renaissance music. The Weigl snuck in because a viola d'amore is employed rather than a standard instrument.

Another deserving composer who was a victim of history.

Best from Shamokin88.

minacciosa

I was going to post those as well (except the cello works), but please go ahead and post them. I'll fill in the blanks as best as possible. You can still get that two cd set from the Weigl Foundation. Regarding the Pro Defunctis movement from the 2nd Symphony, I debated whether I should upload it or not  It's performed by a university student orchestra, the conductor has no control over tempo, so the performance captures none of the movement's drama or gravitas. Maybe it's better than nothing; sometimes I prefer nothing to misrepresenting the intentions of an unsung composer.

Thanks for your uploads.

oleander55

I just got a note from Greg K that the Rubin 4th that I uploaded ends strangely!  Boy, does it ever.  There's another piece accidentally stuck on the end!  The Rubin ends at about 5:40 in the third movement!  Geez!  Sorry!  I've replaced the link with one for the corrected download.  Thanks, Greg!!  ...Mercy!   :-[ :P :o

eschiss1

Which reminds me that I still haven't listened to the Botstein-conducted Rubin 4 that was uploaded here late last year. Rather an embrace by riches to have two versions (I think) of his 1st and 4th symphonies available to us. I remember seeing scores of a symphony or two of his - back in college - while looking at the shelves over near "Rubbra" :) - but not exploring them at the time, let alone thinking I'd be sometime having a listen and finding them quite good.

JimL

Any chance of posting movement information on the Weigl VC?