Austrian Composers

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 21 July 2011, 11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

this should probably go in the  main Downloads folder/forum, not this one, in my opinion...

[I moved it to the Downloads Board - Mark]

lechner1110

I uploaded by my mistake!
    Thanks.

A.S

lechner1110

Dear Arbuckle

Thank you very much that you uploaded M.Rubin's compositions :D.
  I looked for Rubin's symphony long time, but it is difficult to get these LP.

Regards.
  A.S

eschiss1

Mostly knew of Rubin because his symphonic scores are right snugly next to Rubbra's at some libraries I visit, and this made me curious. Thanks, looking forward to listening! (Sorry to sound so flippant!)

Arbuckle

I apologize for the Marcel Rubin Sym 8 being so bad, I redid it and replaced it. If others are bad, let me know.

Arbuckle

Added Marcel Rubin, Sym No. 1 in B to the Rubin file
Das Niederosterreicheische Tonkunstlerorchester, Karl Osterreicher

Not sure of LP info.

eschiss1

some Worldcat.org searching about Marcel Rubin reveals a few things of possible interest.
There's a 1975 book "Marcel Rubin: eine studie" by Hartmut Krones. (Perhaps a worklist? Perhaps even a list of broadcast and commercial recordings by 1975? Haven't seen it.) Also I see listed somewhere a 1995 CD with his 10th symphony, probably no longer available?? (on Ges. zur Förderung Österr. Musik) and other works also (piano sonata 1, Bach-Choral-variations, etc.) Also the 3rd symphony on a 1960s LP conducted by I think Maerzendorfer, the 8th symphony (Otvos' recording apparently) on a 1980s Preiser LP, the 5th symphony on a 1960s Amadeo LP, the 4th symphony (Rapf conducting it seems? 1980s Preiser LP) , Pastorale for strings (Preiser LP, Jan Stych conducting), symphony 1 just mentioned (Preiser LP SPR 130, Zeitgenössische österreichische Musik, 14, 1970s); other recordings also listed on other mostly LPs (a few CDs too I think.)

Dundonnell

Has anyone come across or recorded anything by Johann Nepomuk David(1895-1977)?

David wrote eight symphonies, three violin concertos and a whole slew of other concertos quite apart from his music for organ.

He is a composer who has always intrigued me :) I do have a taped version of his Oratorio "Ezzolied" which I hope to be able to digitise in due course :)

Website about David-

http://www.johann-nepomuk-david.org/index_e.html

violinconcerto

The first two violin concertos are recorded commercially, so you can watch out for these records.

Best,
Tobias

Dundonnell

Apparently there was a Double LP set coupling Johann Nepomuk David's symphony No.5(1951), Organ Concerto and 'Ezzolied' with Erich Schmid conducting the Sudwestfunks Symphony Orchestra, Baden-Baden: Audite FSM 53 416-17)c. 1980).

....However.. a Google search has revealed the following:

"Esther Schollum Artists' News
Johannes Wildner to continue his recording of symphonies by Johann Nepomuk David with the ORF RSO Vienna
Posted by: Esther Schollum on 1/29/2011
Johannes Wildner will continue his CD recordings of Symphonies by Johann Nepomuk David with the ORF Radio Symphony Orchestra Vienna in February and March 2011. This time, he will record the Symphonies no. 1 and 6, the 2nd and the 4th symphonies having been recorded in 2008. The recordings will be released by cpo."

(I shall copy this to the Composers' section of the Forum)

Dundonnell

Many thanks to Arbuckle for the opportunity to download Johann Nepomuk David's Symphony No.5, Organ Concerto and Ezzolied etc. :)

I still cannot get over how marvellous this forum if proving to be in making it possible to gain access to all these musical treasures ;D ;D

(I am working hard on unlocking my own vaults of taped British music. I have now identified the 110 tapes I need to digitise and now need to check that they are still listenable ;D)

Rainolf

Thanks to Arbuckle from my side, too! David's 5th symphony is a very pleasant work. This composer did know how to write flowing contrapuntal textures!

eschiss1

Stuttgart/Muller-Kray, hrm (for one of Bleyle works)- that's the orchestra and conductor who are in the performance I have of JN David's symphony no.6 ...
I don't think any of that von Einem conducted by Horvat LP (called "Bruckner Dialogue") has appeared on the medium of the day. (Or indeed much of his non-operatic output except for a few orchestral works- a new recording of the Philadelphia Symphony did appear, I think- and his string trio and a string quartet, I believe... not sure what if more than that though- hrm.)

eschiss1

Anything by Roderich Mojsisovics-Mojsvar (1877-1953, maybe more "Austro-Hungarian" than Austrian... not sure ... ?)

Michael Schlechtriem

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 26 September 2011, 04:24
Also music by David, from apparently a broadcast concert (performers - Hans Müller-Kray/Stuttgart Radio - announced I think- my understanding is poor, but this conductor did have David's music in his repertoire. Anyone? Not sure of date but should be possible to find out. Bielekat lists Kray recordings of Fortner and other works but not David... Worldcat turns up nothing, likewise.

Symphony No.6 (1954):
I.Allegro (6'30")
II. Adagio (9'08")
III. Valser - Rondo: Allegro (with Triple Fugue) (15'08")

Link.

Yes, you are right indeed, I also have an old tape of this performance and it is played by Hans Müller-Kray/Stuttgart Radio