Austrian Composers

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 21 July 2011, 11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Ah, thanks :)
Komauer- Edwin/Edvin (or alternately also Erwin according to Musicsack.com) - said to be Webern's first composition teacher- 1869 (February 11), Klagenfurt -1944 (March 20) (Waiern b. Feldkirchen (Kärnten)). According to PDF from http://www.biographien.ac.at/oebl/oebl_K/Komauer_Edwin_1869_1944.xml, symphony no.1 from 1924. (There is a 2nd symphony by Komauer in D minor from 1935 according to the same source. Both in ms??)
Some information on Komauer and his works can be found in collections of and biographical material regarding Webern - e.g. page viii to the preface of ''The Anton Webern collection: Early vocal music, 1899-1909, Issue 2''.

Dundonnell

Thanks for the additional detail on the Komauer Symphony No.1 which I uploaded earlier :)

I did not even have a note of his dates and only knew what was in the BBC announcer's introduction.

I hope that no one is put off by the fact that Komauer was Webern's first teacher ;D His symphony is positively Brucknerian with a prominent part for the organ. :)

eschiss1

well, if one so dislikes Webern as to avoid his piano quintet, his Im Sommerwind, and op.1 D minor Passacaglia (etc.) like the plague, I have nothing...

Dundonnell

britishcomposer

Our former President Richard von Weizsäcker chose Webern's Im Sommerwind as part of his birthday concert:
http://www.vinyldisc.de/popshop/product_info.php/konzert-zum-geburtstag-von-richard-von-weizsaecker-p-8490

:D

Dundonnell

Quote from: britishcomposer on Sunday 23 October 2011, 21:46
Our former President Richard von Weizsäcker chose Webern's Im Sommerwind as part of his birthday concert:
http://www.vinyldisc.de/popshop/product_info.php/konzert-zum-geburtstag-von-richard-von-weizsaecker-p-8490

:D

That is such a contrast with those politicians who claim to like "pop music" because that is the trendy thing to do :o

I know that I would rather vote for a politician who was honest and said "I hate pop music" or "I detest football" but they won't because they think it would lose them votes ;D

eschiss1

understanding that those who really do love some popular things and some unpopular things would lose votes in one column and the next- well, anyhow, not going to happen (especially in a winner-takes-all, sort of direct-though-mediated-by-electoral college and rather complicated system as in the US (not to get started on financing and fundraising issues.))

eschiss1

Good, detailed, interesting site about the modern composer Armin Kaufmann here (1902-80) which makes me curious if any broadcasts of his works are available :) (say, the early opus 4, 9, 16 and 17 string quartets or cello and orchestra concert piece opus 7, for example. Or the opus 18 1st symphony. A Preiser LP in the 1970s did couple his 2nd symphony with the 5th symphony of another composer, Leopold Walzel (1902-70), a contemporary. Some of his mandolin music is on CD.)

eschiss1

Herzogenberg 2 from http://www.allmusic.com/album/heinrich-von-herzogenberg-symphonies-1-2-w149119/tracks -
Allegro
Andante quasi allegretto
Allegro moderato
Allegro con brio

Eric

Ilja

Thanks for the Herzogenberg: to my ears, a much more committed rendition than the one on CPO. Not as smooth maybe, but much more lively.

Dundonnell

I am uploading a BBC recording of a performance given in London in 1980 of

Gottfried von Einem's "Ludi Leopoldini: Variations on a theme by Emperor Leopold I" op. 55  for orchestra.

The conductor is Wolfgang Sawallisch but I do not know which orchestra he is conducting. Can anyone find this out?

eschiss1

If all else fails, will write down to look through centerpieces of the issues of the Musical Times from that year at the library (with their concert listings...)

eschiss1

Einem: in a concert with Mozart's Linz symphony, Vienna Symphony, Royal Festival Hall, August 2 1980. Thanks!

Dundonnell

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 31 October 2011, 23:25
Einem: in a concert with Mozart's Linz symphony, Vienna Symphony, Royal Festival Hall, August 2 1980. Thanks!

The Vienna Symphony Orchestra. Really!

I have amended the details to that effect.

Dundonnell

Odd that I should have omitted Gottfried von Einem's Concerto for Orchestra of 1943 from the list I compiled of Concertos for Orchestra. I have just found a tape-recording of the work ;D

The recording is from a BBC broadcast in 1978 but I do not know the orchestra or conductor.

I shall upload it.