Polish Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 22 July 2011, 18:51

Previous topic - Next topic

markniew

Thank you, Atsushi for the symphony!
I did not catch it off radio.
I do have also the Maklakiewicz's Cello cto, Concertino quasi una fantasia for soprano, piano and orchestra (1930) and Prague overture and will upload it - also radio archive recordings.
Marek

JimL

Thanks for the Noskowski 3rd.  I just devoured it, but I'm going at it again tomorrow!

albion

Just posted and awaiting approval -

Grażyna Bacewicz (1909-1969)

Cello Concerto No.1 (1951)

Anita Krochmalska, cello/ Polish RTV Krakow SO/ Tadeusz Wojciechowski

recorded at the Grzegorz Fitelberg Concert Hall, Katowice, Poland on 15th December 2004

:)

eschiss1

eschiss1

a search lists Ms. Krochmalska as a pianist (she premiered several of Bacewicz' works apparently)- though maybe she was equally skilled as a cellist- will have to check... (according to http://musicalwren.wordpress.com/2009/01/17/grazyna-bacewicz-recordings-%E2%80%93-a-very-long-checklist/ and a couple of other sources?)
(and I think the conductor may be Tadeusz Wojciechowski , born 1952 - assuming the performance was later than 1959, of course :) . Slight spelling difference but makes a lot of difference in web searches!  The conductor is himself a cellist... could there be a piano piece somewhere on the original broadcast - or a cello-piano piece- perhaps not by Bacewicz - and then Wojciechowski may have - riskily ? - conducted himself in the concerto- or maybe Krochmalska conducted it and he was soloist?... I would not know. All guesses. Sorry!)

markniew

Yes, something is not correct. Anita Krochmalska is a pianist. She has recorded Bacewicz's piano concerto:
Anita Krochmalska  / Orkiestra Polskiego Radia i TV w Krakowie (Polish Radio & TV Orchestra of Cracow)/ cond.  Marek Tracz

I do have also 3 performances of the Cello cto no. 1 - with following performers:
Kazimierz Wiłkomirski  / Polish Radio Orchestra of Cracow/ Krzysztof Missona
Andrzej Bauer  / Orkiestra Filharmonii Śląskiej (Orchestra of Silesian Philharmonics) /  Mirosław Jacek Błaszczyk
Bartosz Koziak  / Polska Orkiestra Radiowa (Polish Radio O) / Jan Krenz

markniew

I have uoloaded "Uwertura praska (Prague Overture)" of 1947 by Jan Maklakiewicz.
see Dowloads section /waiting for approval/

Latvian

Yes, something is not correct. Anita Krochmalska is a pianist.

Yes, this is odd. However... here is the data from the BBC Radio 3 broadcast last year, which I downloaded at the time, clearly identifying her as the cello soloist:

Bacewicz: Cello Concerto No 1 (1951)
Anita Krochmalska (cello)
Polish Radio and Television Orchestra, Cracow
Tadeusz Wojciechowski (conductor)

albion

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 04 November 2011, 18:35maybe she was equally skilled as a cellist [and] I think the conductor may be Tadeusz Wojciechowski. The conductor is himself a cellist... could there be a piano piece somewhere on the original broadcast - or a cello-piano piece- perhaps not by Bacewicz - and then Wojciechowski may have - riskily ? - conducted himself in the concerto- or maybe Krochmalska conducted it and he was soloist?

Sorry chaps - this was the only information I had. The conductor's name has now been corrected, but as to Krochmalska's prowess with a bow ...

??? :o ::) ;D

Alan Howe

I'm listening to Malawski's Symphony No.2, kindly uploaded by Marek, as I type. A very dramatic opening followed by very intense musical material, almost hyper-expressive. This is not an easy listen, but it sounds like important music. It'll be interesting to read what others make of the piece...

eschiss1

Hrm. By the way- Marek, the three recordings you have of the Bacewicz Cello concerto 1- would you consider checking - at leisure! - their total timings (just the total timings -- one can approximate for initial narration times from different radio services, and estimate. Thanks anycase and either way - if not no worries!! (BTW, if Anita Krochmalska is the same as the pianist, she has a Polish Wikipedia stub, here (16 March 1940-21 May 2006).

Downloaded the Malawski symphony and looking forward to listening to it!

markniew

Hello eschiss1,

the UC Bacewicz's no. 1 lasts in total 21:20

all my recordings last longer:

Wiłkomirski doesn't match as regards the sound - it is the oldest one (9:59, 5:39, 7:20)

Bauer (10:12, 5:47, 7:14)
Koziak is for sure not the competitor! it is live performence (9:55, 6:24, 5:33)

I don't pretend to say ther is no other recording - but the performer cannot be Anita Krochmalska.
I try to "investigate" the case

eschiss1

markniew

Allan,

Malawski's Symphony has its title "Dramatic" due to the followin. It was composed in 1956 and in June that year in the city of Poznan serious protest against the politics of then ruling government took place. Protest was brutally suppressed with dozens being killed. The society was shocked and in its majority against the ruling party. Few month later the new politicians took power (in October) and situation beacme a little bit better.
But in October 1956 the uprising in Hungary broke out. Poland with new goverment supported the Hungarians (by the way Polish-Hungarian relations for centuries were very friendly).  Malawski reacted with composing his last (?) work "Hungaria" that I will also upload.

markniew

here is the link to mediafire with the Malawski's symphony - for Greg.
http://www.mediafire.com/?tpgalmgm35lmgfr

I am not sure whether to re-upload in mediafire Cello cto by Maklakiewicz or upload the Cello cto by Bacewicz with Wilkomisrki playing (by the way I do hace off radio recording of the Wilkomirski's Symphony concertante for cello and orchestra)