German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Holger

Thanks, Rainolf, for the movement titles which I still missed.

As for the Senfter, I just checked the key, and while the beginning is a bit moving around the final bars let no doubt the key is B flat Major indeed. I took the date for Petersen's Fourth from the German Wikipedia article as my impression is that the one who published all the data there some years ago knew what he was doing.

Rainolf

According to Wolfgang Mechsner's Petersen book, which contains a biography and the catalogue of works, the 4th Symphony was composed in 1931/32 and premiered the 15th April 1941 in Ludwigshafen by conductor Karl Friderich (I'm sure, he is identical with the "Karl Friedrich" of the recording).

Holger

Thanks for the clarifying the Petersen issue, Rainolf. Your assumption about the conductor is very likely to be true. The conductor's name is just mentioned in the announcement but it's not that easy to understand it. I already did some research previously to find out more but searching for things like "Karl Fri(e)drich Dirigent Stuttgart" led to nothing. Actually I already had the suspicion it could also be Friderich but my error was to use the spelling "Friederich", of course without success once again. So it's great things are clear now.

eschiss1

Best possibility for conductor according anyway to Musicsack and other sources that I can see (including the preceding :) ) -
*Karl Hans Reinhold Friderich (1899- ca.1954? ), Kapellmeister (born Nurnberg)

britishcomposer

We still have no proper 'wishlist', so I will misuse the downloads discussion. ;)

I am looking for any music by the following German composers:

Erich Mirsch-Riccius (1884-1962) - I suppose there is nothing.  :(

Ludwig Roselius (1902-1977) - Radio Bremen, for which he worked, has archived a lot recordings but they haven't broadcast anything for years. My old cassette-tapes are mostly unplayable. Moreover I deleted a few tapes in the early 90s when I needed some space for new recordings. (HOW IDIDOTIC!!! >:()
A few years ago I requested if it were possible to get copies of the Bremen productions. However, the fees were too high, 30 Euros for half-an-hour or even more...

There's a short German wikipedia article but it states wrongly that he wrote 'symphonies'. He wrote not a single one. Orchestral works are few, mostly suites from incidental scores. I daresay he was one of the greatest late-romantic German 'Liedmeister' - well, who cares. :(
Though influenced by Pfitzner, who was a friend, he had definitely found an own style, a distinctive harmonic language.

I was lucky to have a look at some manuscripts at the Staatsarchiv Bremen a few years ago. I was deeply impressed by his opera 'Godiva': he employs a very large orchestra but uses it often like different chamber-ensembles. The strings are often divided threefold [is that the right expression? ;)]; there is a passage for five muted solo violas!
He employs sprechgesang, sometimes notated, sometimes just spoken.
Godiva was successfully premiered in Nürnberg, 1933. It was praised for its harmonic boldness and strong rhythmic writing. Bremen followed but Karlsruhe declined because of the 'immorality' of the text, written by Roselius himself.
It was given in Bremen again in 1959, for the last time I think. The title role was sung by no one less than the young Montserrat Caballé!
The performing materials are complete, I think, handwritten by his own wife, who wrote a touching memoir after his death. ;) :D

Holger

Britishcomposer, I can help with the Roselius. I have an LP with a selection of works by this composer. These are:

• "Lilofee-Suite", Norddeutsche Märchenmusik zu Manfred Hausmanns dramatischer Ballade für Orchester op. 16 (1936)
  • Sinfonisches Vorspiel op. 18 (1939/40)
  • "Stunden einer Liebe", Lieder und Duette nach Gedichten von Manfred Hausmann op. 20 (1948–50)
However I still have to digitalize this LP but I assume I will have time for doing so in the next days.

Mark Thomas

I've added Abert's Third Symphony and have recordings of a Concert Overture and a String Quartet if anyone is interested.

Eric, I can't track down the movement titles of the Symphony. Can you work your magic, please?

eschiss1

:) Thanks. Well, so far I have movement title lists for two Abert symphonies (Columbus, of course, and also a Spring Symphony in C) - but not this one... Will keep looking.
I do see from a contemporary issue of the Neue Wiener Musik-Zeitung that the A major symphony was premiered? performed? January 8 1856 in Stuttgart so 1856 may be a publication date, not a composition date...

eschiss1

also- any of Rietz' 3 symphonies, or his cello concerto op.16 or opus 2 fantasy?  (Thanks to Stabikat Berlin we do have the parts of those two, and some other works, at IMSLP. I need to finish uploading the parts of Ferdinand Ries' 2nd symphony, though it has at least been recorded...)
Thanks again!

lechner1110

Mark, Thanks to upload Abert's symphony!
  Of course, I'm very interested in Other works :)

Atsushi

Mark Thomas

OK, I'll upload them too, but in the meantime I've just added Anton Urspruch's Piano Concerto, which you asked for.

lechner1110

Thanks! Thanks a lot Mark!

Well, I have many music which I will listen in this weekend as well as last weekend.
  Thanks all !

Atsushi

britishcomposer

Quote from: Holger on Friday 21 October 2011, 07:48
Britishcomposer, I can help with the Roselius. I have an LP with a selection of works by this composer. These are:

• "Lilofee-Suite", Norddeutsche Märchenmusik zu Manfred Hausmanns dramatischer Ballade für Orchester op. 16 (1936)
  • Sinfonisches Vorspiel op. 18 (1939/40)
  • "Stunden einer Liebe", Lieder und Duette nach Gedichten von Manfred Hausmann op. 20 (1948–50)
However I still have to digitalize this LP but I assume I will have time for doing so in the next days.

Thank you for that, Holger! :D
I didn't even know that an LP had been produced.  ::)
I still have my old broadcast recordings of these works but they are so faded, it's no joy.
Moreover Radiobremen had faded in the 'Stunden einer Liebe' so I don't even know how much I missed of that!  :(

britishcomposer

Mark, the perfomers of the Abert 3rd are most likely the Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie conducted by Reinhard Peters.
My off-air recording is some ten years old I think.

eschiss1

Abert's manuscripts, the Bach Cantatas site (maybe from Grove?), are at Württemburgische Landesbibliothek Stuttgart - since I am beginning to doubt that the 3rd symphony was published, going to check there...