German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the Abert Third performers, I've amended the post and the text file.

Holger

Britishcomposer, I have now digitalized my Roselius LP and uploaded all three pieces, links should appear soon (currently still waiting for approval). I wanted to check details about the LP and found out there is no label on it. When having a look at the old invoice I really read it is a noncommercial one, so probably quite rare.

"Stunden einer Liebe" takes 22:35 minutes in my transfer, it's the longest among these pieces (the LP is rather generous with a total time of about 53 minutes). I must admit that piano songs are not really my cup of tea, so I cannot do much with it. However I really like the two orchestral works which are beautifully crafted with a fine sense of warm sound.

britishcomposer

Thank you so much, Holger! :D

Quite interesting to hear about that LP!
If it has no label, who made it? Pressing an LP is not that easy as burning a CD, I think!  ;D
The performers are indeed the same as those of the broadcasts by Radiobremen (Nordwestradio)

eschiss1

Does anyone have or have a tape of the rather rare LP "Musik zu Dreien" (Garnet-Schallplatten, 1980s) with Joseph Haas' piano trio (2 violins and piano, opus 38, A minor) and string trio "divertimento" in D op.22 on it - the latter a work never, I think, otherwise commercially recorded? (At least of the string trio? :) The parts of the string trio - maybe of the Kammertrio op.38, will need to check and must rush to work now- at IMSLP...  Library of Congress and a German Library do have this LP or at least list them in their catalogs.)
Re the movements of the Abert 3rd symphony, between the score never having apparently been published in any form that I can figure out and the conductor having died three years ago (and uncontactable - I don't believe in séances) and references in 1856 to the premiere not mentioning the movements- likewise the book by Hermann Abert does mention the symphony in the edition I've been able to read but not, again, that I can see, the movement headings - this is high on my list of "probably impossibly hard for now" ones... though the Hermann Abert book seems the best bet for where to find the information if I can decipher the German...

semloh

Not quite sure which thread to put this in, but for those interested in contemporary rarities, the old East German Nova label looks promising - some decidedly "unsung" composers there! :)
http://www.avguide.com/forums/lp-collectors-only-nova-discography

jerfilm

Mark, thanks so much for the Urspruch Piano Concerto.  Love this piece and will play it often.  It may not be heavy stuff, but is one of those piece's that just leaves you feeling good.  Or like, I almost wish it wouldn't end.......thanks.....

Jerry

Mark Thomas

I've added Julius Rietz' enjoyable Lustspiel Overture.

eschiss1

semloh

Quote from: britishcomposer on Saturday 22 October 2011, 18:13
Thank you so much, Holger! :D

Hear, hear, Holger. The Roselius is superb!  :) :)

JimL

Thank you Mark!  Now I again have at last the Rietz Concert Overture in A.  I loved it from the first moment I put on that old Louisville Orchestra LP, and haven't heard it in years.

Mark Thomas

I've added some orchestral music by the 20th century composer Gerhard Frommel to the thread. Particularly impressive are the neo-Brucknerian First Symphony and the neo-classical (well, almost) Second Symphony.

lechner1110

Ooh!!  Thank you so much Mark!

Mark Thomas

I've added Johann Abert's Concert Overture.

eschiss1

Thanks!
Re Frommel, he too (like an Austrian composer I mentioned) has an interesting-looking detailed site devoted to him - http://www.gerhard-frommel.de/ - with sound samples, small first page score samples (very nice- I like making that sort of thing into iPod icons for my sound files), premiere dates, etc. :) (yes, I know the interest of such things varies even to those who like the music, but I wanted to make that available) (silly and too serious-sounding joke edited -out-.)

(Edit: actually, you can select "download as PDF" and get and save a nice, large-quality image of the first page of the first symphony and maybe other works too- not just a small bit of a hint of a low-resolution icon. Very nice indeed. Published 1942 and composer died too recently so not public domain, so without estate permission not going to get the whole work that way- but some don't even give one that much and I like this :) )

eschiss1

about the Frommel concerto- hrm...
there was a CD of the "Vivo" from this and his piano sonata no.6 on Deutsche Grammofon? ??
Which would seem to establish that yes, there is a Vivo in it... hrm.
Oh. Ok- I think the movements of the concerto for clarinet, piano and orchestra in b minor opus 9 are
#Largo - Allegro moderato, Tempo rubato
#Vivo
#Cadenza and Finale
but I should double-check. (There's audio from the CD from which I get that information http://www.musicline.de/de/product/28944282184 - I'll listen to the piece and see if the audio of the "Cadenza and Finale" sounds like anything from the concerto, or if I'm just misunderstanding the page, for one thing...) Yep, the Amazon.de link makes it clear those three tracks belong to the opus 9 concerto, yay - and Martha Argerich is the pianist, apparently on that recording . (And Frommel was a Pfitzner pupil. Hrm, nice discovery! )