German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Happily :)
Re Senfter symphony 4 again - I hear the Brucknerian sound in the first movement, though I don't know any Bruckner symphonies offhand whose first movement is about the length of the remaining three combined (though the very brief scherzo allows the remaining two to have a more reasonable size...). The scherzo has a more.. well, there's what seems to be a (exact?) Reger quote in it (a cadence - a very distinct, in harmony and orchestration, cadential passage - from the Mozart variations?) and influences from some other composers...
hrm. Liking this.
(Edit: I seem to recall not all of her symphonies were premiered so posthumously- no.6 in D minor was even performed during her lifetime, if memory serves- I think I saw a note of it when browsing NZM/ZM issues years ago. No.4, though, the notes say, had to wait until 2000 for its first performance. Enjoyed this 2011 performance in any case and hope to hear more of her work.)
Eric

eschiss1

About the Bronsart trio- I wrote Edition Silvertrust about something else and mentioned in passing that they might want to consider including Bronsart's trio among the works they republish and give wider distribution - this is already in the works, I gather...

Richard Moss

Dear Herrarte,

have just downloaded your PIXIS 'dbl conc' ZIP file, but it now asks me for a password before I can unzip it!  Can you asdvise what this is pls?

Thank you

Richard

fyrexia

The concerto by pixis been uploaded on the download section is not the same as the one hyperion is going to release in the future.
Hyperion will release the Concerto Op.100 for Piano solo and Orchestra.

Tony

herrarte

Quote from: fyrexia on Sunday 06 November 2011, 18:25

Hyperion will release the Concerto Op.100 for Piano solo and Orchestra.

Good to know.

semloh

Quote from: Richard Moss on Sunday 06 November 2011, 14:50
Dear Herrarte,

have just downloaded your PIXIS 'dbl conc' ZIP file, but it now asks me for a password before I can unzip it!  Can you asdvise what this is pls?

Thank you

Richard

Herrarte, it would be really helpful if the file could be made available to the forum via Mediafire. Any chance of uploading it for us, please?
:) :)

JimL

Yeah.  I tried to download it, and got the message that Firefox prevented it from downloading some kind of software.  I don't think this is going to work for everybody...

herrarte

Try it now. The links work now.

Cheers,

herrarte

eschiss1

as for the password though it's on the download forum page itself (I won't repeat it here since that page is protected and this isn't!)

britishcomposer

Eric, I just saw you mentioning Max Trapp in another thread. I have a recording of the 6th Symphony which dates probably from the 1940s. It was broadcast some twenty year ago by Radio Bremen. It had just been made public at that time but I don't know in what kind of medium. Do you know of any commercial release? If not I may upload it next weekend or so. Unfortunately I cannot provide performers.

Holger

Britishcomposer, I also have that recording. The symphony is played by the Berliner Philharmoniker, conducted by Trapp himself, and it was recorded in 1951. I got my version via internet but I don't think there has really been a commercial release - Mike Herman doesn't list any recording and he tends to be well-informed of course (and I don't know about any CD myself).

As Eric also mentioned Max Butting (who cannot be compared to Trapp in political terms of course) I should add I do have quite a number of pieces by Butting whom I consider to be an excellent composer, one of the finest German symphonists of his generation in my view. His Ninth has recently been re-released on CD. I will provide some recordings as time permits (and when I'm done with some British music).

Dundonnell

I have a 1944 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra/Hermann Abendroth performance of Trapp's Symphony No.2 I could share :)

Holger

That would certainly be great, Colin! :)
I once considered to request this recording from the DRA (German Radio Archives) but due to high prices I finally dropped this idea.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Holger on Monday 07 November 2011, 18:01
I once considered to request this recording from the DRA (German Radio Archives) but due to high prices I finally dropped this idea.

Will upload later this evening :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 07 November 2011, 18:09
Quote from: Holger on Monday 07 November 2011, 18:01

Will upload later this evening :)

I hate Mediafire sometimes >:( >:(

That's twice now the Trapp upload has failed....each time at 99% completion. ::) ::)