German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

shamokin88

I have added Trapp's opus 37 Violin & Piano Sonata to the pot. The Allegro Deciso derives from a Polydor 78, PD 15507; I have the date 11 October 1954 for the Concerto #3 for Orchestra.

eschiss1

Is Butting's opus 120 really an 8-second work?... here I thought Beethoven was going for broke with a 13-second Bagatelle (then again, I don't know yet entirely what to expect from Butting, especially late Butting- I've only seen a few of his works and heard none. Still, a work whose name takes me longer to say than it does to hear crosses into Searle-y Hoffnung territory.) (Hrm. "Ghosts visited me", op.120... on YouTube also... *reads description there :) * )
CHARM also claims that Butting's symphony no.9 was recorded as early as 1 September 1958 (though not released until later with symphony 10). Likewise the piano concerto may have been released around 1974 to allow for everything I guess but was recorded in 1970.

eschiss1

Hrm.
Odd. the version of Butting's Opus 120 on Youtube has 4 movements (Andante vivo - Allegro - Larghetto - Presto-Animato) and is about 15 minutes long, not 8 seconds as I think the downloaded version is... hrm. it's the full 14.4mb, I think iTunes just doesn't like it for some reason and detects a break after 8 seconds. Problem on my end. Never mind. Sorry.

Arbuckle

The Butting Gespenster besuchten mich, op. 120 piece seems to work when I try it, it is about 15 min long, off an LP, can reupload it if still a problem, also went ahead and added to same file
Max Trapp Sym No. 6, Recorded 1951 Berlin PO, Max Trapp conducting,
1. moderato, 2, scherzo, 3. adagio maestoso, 4. allegro con brio
The mvts of Stationen op. 117 are:
1.Allegro impetuoso 5'30
2. Adagio 3'40
3. Andante sostenuto (Valse lento)3'35
4. Allegro agitato 3'40
5. Allegro mosso 3'00
6. Lento lugubre 8'50

And the Cello Concerto is there now, too
http://www.mediafire.com/?2wgm6wzy6st3h

JimL

Just listened to the Pixis Double Concerto.  Too bad he didn't score it for full orchestra, but it's nice enough with just strings.  This really whets my appetite for the Op. 100!

Amphissa

My understanding of spoken German is very bad. I have a work that has an announcement at the end giving details. I need someone with better German language skills than I to translate for me, because I think I am mis-interpreting what I hear.

If you are good at spoken German, could you contact me please?

jerfilm

Thanks so much for the Urspruch Cello Sonata.  Another gem from the late Romantics.....

Jerry

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: jerfilm on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 17:50
Thanks so much for the Urspruch Cello Sonata.  Another gem from the late Romantics.....

Jerry
Agreed!  Thanks very much.

Mark Thomas

I've uploaded, at bristishcomposer's request, four works by August Bungert: the Variations and Fugue on an Original Theme for piano, the Torquato Tasso Overture, a Hungarian Dance for orchestra and finally the large Oratorio Mysterium. I also have the Piano Quartet in a very muddy recording and if anybody has a good recording of this broadcast then I'd appreciate it.

britishcomposer

Bungert's Piano Quartet and Violin Sonata are now in the German music folder. Enjoy it!  :)

Mark Thomas

Tremendous! Thanks very much Mathias.

Alan Howe

Thanks so much, Mathias, for the upload of the various Hiller items. The Symphony (even though we only have the first movement) is one I have wanted to hear for a long time, especially given its high profile at the time of its composition and for some time afterwards. Very, very interesting indeed.

semloh

Amphissa, thank you for the Busch symphony - I think it's a beautiful work.  :)

I see from Wikipedia that Busch had an eventful life, escaping fascism then settling in Vermont and founding the Busch Qt. The Busch family of musicians is remarkable. Wiki notes that he was the son of the luthier Wilhelm Busch; brother of the conductor Fritz Busch, the cellist Hermann Busch, the pianist Heinrich Busch and the actor Willi Busch; and, that Rudolf Serkin was his son-in-law, and Peter Serkin is his grandson.  :o :o

eschiss1

Hrm. Schumann mentions a symphony of Hiller's in a letter to him of 1849 - I am guessing this one, then (I did not guess this one could have been written so early, since it was, I thought, premiered in 1852 under Liszt's direction, and published I think only as late as 1865... not that that is such an unusual gap at all.) That rather mashes up my attempt at a tentative chronology of the few Hiller symphonies I know of (ca.1831-or-before, ca.1831 in A minor, 1848?, Im Freien in G ca.1852, others?) and can guess at on the IMSLP page for this work and elsewhere ;) (tried to redo it just now.)

Though Schumann seems to imply that the symphony had been performed (just that Schumann would not be able to find a place for it in his concerts in 1849, unfortunately...)- maybe the 1852 performance was not a premiere, after all, or maybe I misread the letter by Schumann I read (or the translation was poor). Hrm.
Looking forward to hearing it when I get back from vacation, have wanted to hear this work - thank you!

eschiss1

Further on this - the 1852 performance conducted by Liszt of the E minor symphony by Hiller was not the premiere apparently; according to Geschichte der Gewandhausconcerte zu Leipzig vom 25. November 1781 bis 25. November 1881, page 28, the symphony was performed in Leipzig in 1849. A C major symphony (no.1? no.5?) is also mentioned (also I am guessing lost- I wonder if the "Im Freien" G major symphony still exists somewhere though.)