German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Thanks very much, britishcomposer, for the upload of Berger's Sonata for Violin and Piano No. 3. It's surely a beautiful sonata. Well constructed, a balanced interplay between both instruments, but... how memorable is it?

Alan Howe

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 26 February 2012, 12:31
Thanks very much, britishcomposer, for the upload of Berger's Sonata for Violin and Piano No. 3. It's surely a beautiful sonata. Well constructed, a balanced interplay between both instruments, but... how memorable is it?

Well, time will tell...
Tchaikovsky I recall instantly; Debussy much less so...

Alan Howe

Well, the Berger Violin Sonata will have absolutely no difficulty in lodging itself in my memory, I can assure you. What a marvellous piece...

eschiss1

Thanks for the Hessenberg!

ttle

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 11 September 2011, 16:05
Re Georg Schumann, without even looking (though I ought to) at the useful de-Wikipedia list of works, I see there's at least one symphony with opus number, in F minor opus 42. Any recordings commercial or broadcast known to have been made of that ever?...
Sorry if I missed the reply in between, I would be interested as well! Actually, the Georg Schumann Society website does not even mention he youthful B Minor symphony, whereas it was completed after the first two opus numbers. Strange.

eschiss1

the Georg Schumann F minor symphony by the way is now in full score @IMSLP. Agreed though about the early symphony...

Listened to the Hessenberg trio.  A bit like the Hindemith 2nd string trio (a particularly good work itself, in my opinion) with a bit of Shostakovich here and there, I thought? Liked it. Thanks again :)

eschiss1

Depends on the Debussy. The opening of the finale of his cello sonata rather sticks in my memory, but I agree that doesn't make that piece superior or inferior to his other works. Anyhow, wrong folder for such a remark except as a hanger-on to an earlier one (even though Tchaikovsky certainly had a German connection and Debussy through van Meck a Tchaikovsky connection of sorts, that begins to get rather 6-degree-ish. :D )

BFerrell

Nothing ?? Anywhere on the site? Amazing! :P

eschiss1

Well, I should ask (not here but in the other folder) about the 2008 disc of his orchestral works- symphony etc.) on Naxos...

JimL

Hiller's Piano Quintet is finally available from Edition Silvertrust.  The movements are:

1. Allegro con anima
2. Adagio espressivo
3. Intermezzo: Allegretto leggiero
4. Finale: Allegro con molto fuoco

Jeez, it's taken a long time to get those last two movements!  ::)

eschiss1

fr8nks

I realize that it has been 6 months since Mark Thomas uploaded the 4 works by Gerhard Frommel but I want to thank him for the magnificent job he did. The dates of the compositions and performance information is readily available and works are broken down into individual movements with the movement tempos given. The sound quality is very good and in my opinion the overall effort in uploading these works was outstanding.

Mark Thomas

Well, that's very kind of you to say so. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Leo K

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 14 August 2011, 12:54
Thanks, Mathias, for the absolutely magnificent Volbach piece 'Es waren zwei Königskinder' - what fabulously rich and expressive music. Truly wonderful.

I'm listening to Volbach's B minor symphony, so graciously downloaded from here, and wow, what an impressive work! The adagio is remarkable.

minacciosa

Quote from: mjkFendrich on Friday 27 April 2012, 22:55
Grete v. Zieritz  (1899 - 2001)

Zigeunerkonzert für Solovioline und Orchester in 6 Bildern (1984)

• In Auschwitz vergast, bis heute verfolgt
  • Prozession zu Sara la Kali nach Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer
  • Phuvusche, Nivaschi und Urmen
  • Feuer vor dem Zelt einer Kindbetterin
  • Wir sind die Könige der Felder und Wiesen, der Wälder, der Berge, der Quellen und Ströme
  • Hexensabbat in der Grotte von Zugarramurdi i.J. 1610

Performers:
    Marianne Boettcher - violin
    Filharmonia Pomorska, Tomasz Bugaj

Konzert der Berliner Festwochen, 21.09.1984

transferred from LP Polyphonia POL 63015

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?rqhd3sfwcny85nz

This is an extremely arresting concerto!