German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

OK.  I'm tired of being a whiner not a doer.  I'll give it a shot.  Later.  ;D

Mark Thomas

I just added links to uploads of two very satisfying Brahmsian Piano Quartets by Robert Kahn, a  pupil of Rheinberger who eventually fled to Britain to escape the Nazis.

eschiss1

Looking forward to listening to them- scores to both are @ IMSLP, his music -seems- interesting...

eschiss1

Actually, unless he wrote 3 piano quartets--- hrm!!
Piano Quartets opp. 14 and 41 are there, but not quartet op.30. Interesting... Ah. Yep, op.41 in C minor, very different movement scheme...

Mark Thomas

Today's upload is a work by Ferdinand Hiller: his Overture Demetrius in a passable of-air recording from, I think, the 1980s. It's a good, solid piece of writing from Bruch's teacher.

JimL

Is this a concert overture or the prelude to an opera or oratorio?

Mark Thomas

It's a Concert Overture, unconnected with any other work AFAIK.

allison

Thank you MVS and others who have posted David symphonies, will post an LP of his Sym no. 5, Ezzolied, and Organ cto

Dundonnell

Quote from: allison on Wednesday 06 June 2012, 21:01
Thank you MVS and others who have posted David symphonies, will post an LP of his Sym no. 5, Ezzolied, and Organ cto

These were all uploaded by a member in September last year but the links are no longer working. Reposting would therefore be helpful for new members.

Many thanks  to MSV for the addition of two more David symphonies :) I share his hope that the cpo cycle will not be too long delayed ;D

eschiss1

Unfortunately the university here only has scores for half of David's symphonies- 1 (Symphonie A moll op.18- of course it is rare for a symphony no.1 to be published as "Symphony No.1"), 2 op.20, 6 op.46 and 8 op.59. (And other works, e.g. his organ concerto op.61, and quite a few chamber works...) Still, need to push myself soon to get up there and at least write down the movement headings for no.8 and some other works (e.g. Hartmann 3) for transport here :)

Mark Thomas

I've added in the Downloads board three works by Franz Lachner (1803-1890): two overtures and a most impressive String Quintet.

kolaboy

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Saturday 09 June 2012, 08:43
I've added in the Downloads board three works by Franz Lachner (1803-1890): two overtures and a most impressive String Quintet.

Thanks a bunch for the new (to me) Lachner to get to know :)

semloh

Mark - thank you for the Lachner. The String Quintet is a particularly enjoyable ride, and I love the romantic Andante.  How fortunate to be able to hear this work, especially when it is played so beautifully and with such excellent sound quality.  :) :)

Mark Thomas

I'll admit to enjoying all of Lachner's music which I've heard but remaining unconvinced by it that he was more than an excellent craftsman. The Quintet, however, is a composition on an altogether higher plane.

Mark Thomas

For the Kaminski enthusiasts out there (and I'm not sure that I'm one, actually) I've uploaded a recording of a broadcast of his Dorische Musik for String Trio & Orchestra from 1934. I'll be interested in other members' reaction to this piece which I think I find quite impressive, although I'm hard put to say why! Maybe it's the committed performance of the work by the Berlin Philharmonic under my "local" conductor, the CBSO's Andris Nelsons, rather than the music itself!