Latvian music

Started by dafrieze, Saturday 30 July 2011, 01:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Holger

Latvian,

thanks for your extensive reply. It's very interesting to know all the background information.

I also noticed it's hard to get any biographical information on him or something like a roughly comprehensive work list. The information given at the Latvian MIC is pretty limited in comparison to other Latvian composers, at least. And even though he obviously lived in Germany a large part of his life a Google Search (using the German version) does not lead to anything really important, in most cases he is just mentioned as teacher or it's his book. In fact, I had never heard his name before sticking into Latvian music, though I read he seems to have lived (or taught?) in Hövelhof which is actually not that far away from my own home.

Actually I have four works by him: his Symphonies Nos. 2&3, his "Burial Songs" and his "Midsummernight Songs". I must admit I cannot remember the two vocal cycles at all at the moment, I should definitely listen to them again especially since you recommended one of them. I think I listened to the two symphonies about one year ago but as I said they didn't make much of an impression to me.

His book is really a weird thing as I said. I don't think it's a good source if somebody really intends to try to come nearer to Latvian music of the Soviet period because it's too biased.

The story about his death is somewhat odd of course. Thanks for telling it!

By the way, as speaking about obscure Latvian composers: do you know anything about Alfrēds Tīss? I have a recording of his Symphony No. 2 but the only facts I know about the composer are the years of his birth and death!

Latvian

Some additional Ivanovs symphony performances have been uploaded to my Ivanovs folder.

Christopher

Well, I am enjoying my journey into Ivanovs music, so thank you to Latvian for all those uploads!   As our resident expert on Latvian music, I would like to ask you about another Latvian composer: Alfreds Kalnins (or that should be Alfrēds Kalniņš).

According to wikipedia (sorry...) he "is primarily remembered for his national opera Baņuta (1920)...Of his six cantatas the best known is Jūra ('The Sea')"

So, I went on to amazon and ordered The Sea Cantata (together with a piece called "Potter's Field") at a price of ten pounds which is OK.  Then I clicked on Banuta:  it costs 78 pounds...there's no way that is going to happen, not for something that I am only speculatively interested in.  Moreover, it lists the tracks for this 4-act opera 2-CD set as "Track 1, Track 2, Track 3, Track 4" - ie it has been crudely recorded from an LP and the various tracks not separated.   (have a look!  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Banuta-Kalnin/dp/B00000DHW3/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1323343322&sr=1-1

So I wanted to ask you - do you know of any cheaper sources for this and other Latvian music?  Maybe there is a Latvian equivalent of Amazon?

Latvian

QuoteSo, I went on to amazon and ordered The Sea Cantata (together with a piece called "Potter's Field") at a price of ten pounds which is OK.  Then I clicked on Banuta:  it costs 78 pounds...there's no way that is going to happen, not for something that I am only speculatively interested in.  Moreover, it lists the tracks for this 4-act opera 2-CD set as "Track 1, Track 2, Track 3, Track 4" - ie it has been crudely recorded from an LP and the various tracks not separated.   (have a look!  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Banuta-Kalnin/dp/B00000DHW3/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1323343322&sr=1-1

So I wanted to ask you - do you know of any cheaper sources for this and other Latvian music?  Maybe there is a Latvian equivalent of Amazon?

A very good source for some Latvian music is Balticshop.com. They don't stock everything, but quite a bit is there.

The Banuta recording is available there for US$30 at http://www.balticshop.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?item=2221&cat=0505&title=Latvian_Opera_and_Vocal. This recording is a CD transfer of the Melodiya LP set from the 1970s and is the only commercial version that has ever been available.

The Sea is there for $20 at
Quotehttp://www.balticshop.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?item=21010&cat=0505&title=Latvian_Opera_and_Vocal
. Unfortunately, it seems that Amazon (USA) and most other places don't stock it anymore. The other work on the disc, by the way, is by Alfreds' son Janis.

I will be uploading a substantial collection of Alfreds Kalnins' music to the Latvian folder at some point in the near future, after I finish the Ivanovs project and a few other things promised to other forum members. If you can hold out until then, you'll be able to hear quite a bit of his music. I hope to be able to upload a representative selection of many other Latvian composers' works in the future as well.

Your interest in Latvian music is gratifying!

Christopher

Thanks Latvian!  Well, you played a large part in that, so you can take the credit. 

Is Banuta one of the pieces you will upload?  If so, I will wait until then! 

The CD with The Sea Cantata I found on British Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Potters-Field-Cantata-Sea/dp/B000A2GS0E/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1323363438&sr=1-4) and have put it on my Christmas wishlist!

Dundonnell

More Skulte too, please, if you have any ;D

Latvian

The final uploads to my Ivanovs file in the Latvian music uploads folder are taking place as I type this. Hopefully, by the end of the afternoon they will all be there, ready and available.

I hope the wide range of music, covering all aspects of his output (with reasonable completeness regarding his major works) gives a good overview to everyone who enjoys his music, or has been curious about it.

Mark Thomas

The Ivanovs archive is a tremendously valuable resource and we're all hugely grateful for your effort, Latvian. Thanks very much.

Dundonnell

Whilst delighted to receive more Adolfs Skulte from Latvian is the Symphony No.1 not the same recording which Atsushi posted on July 18th ???

Latvian

QuoteWhilst delighted to receive more Adolfs Skulte from Latvian is the Symphony No.1 not the same recording which Atsushi posted on July 18th

The search feature on the website failed me! I couldn't remember which symphonies had been posted already, and when I searched "Skulte," the results indicated #s 4, 5, & 7 (of which #7 was in the Soviet folder, not the Latvian folder). So, I assumed those were the only three that had been uploaded so far, not wanting to take the time to search post by post. Please remind me if any others have already been uploaded, otherwise I expect to still be doing #s 3, 6, 8, and 9.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Latvian on Monday 12 December 2011, 18:50
QuoteWhilst delighted to receive more Adolfs Skulte from Latvian is the Symphony No.1 not the same recording which Atsushi posted on July 18th

The search feature on the website failed me! I couldn't remember which symphonies had been posted already, and when I searched "Skulte," the results indicated #s 4, 5, & 7 (of which #7 was in the Soviet folder, not the Latvian folder). So, I assumed those were the only three that had been uploaded so far, not wanting to take the time to search post by post. Please remind me if any others have already been uploaded, otherwise I expect to still be doing #s 3, 6, 8, and 9.

Nos. 3, 6, 8 and 9 are the missing ones, yes :) :)

Alan Howe

Ādolfs Skulte (1909-2000): Symphony No. 3 "Cosmic" (1962) - a Xmas present for Rodney Trotter perhaps?  ;)

Latvian

QuoteĀdolfs Skulte (1909-2000): Symphony No. 3 "Cosmic" (1962) - a Xmas present for Rodney Trotter perhaps?

Alan, you've stumped me -- I have no idea who Rodney Trotter is!  ???

Dundonnell

Many thanks for two more Skulte symphonies, Latvian :)

"Rodney Trotter" was a character in a long-running British TV comedy series called "Only Fools and Horses"-a young, very naive South Londoner-although at this early part of the day(for me!) I cannot quite work out the significance of Alan's allusion ???