Latvian music

Started by dafrieze, Saturday 30 July 2011, 01:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Balapoel

Thank you Latvian for the Vitols!

One question: are there recordings (or scores) available of the following?

Symphony in c minor (1899) (ah, is this the 'lost' symphony)?
Rhapsody on Lithuanian folksongs, Op. 39
Valse grotesque (1895)
Jāzeps un viņa brāļi, musique de scène (1920)

I know about the album with Tom Thumb, Autumn Song, and the Dramatic Overture, but that's the only one I know of for his music.

Christopher

Thanks so much for all the Vitols Latvian!  Am really enjoying it.   One question: do the folksongs have names, or is it just Song 1, Song 2, etc?

semloh

Quote from: Balapoel on Thursday 15 December 2011, 21:38
Thank you Latvian for the Vitols!

Yes, thank you, Latvian - what a wonderful collection of works!   :) :)

jerfilm

Listening to the Symphony as I type.  Thanks so much for this collection.....

Jerry

Latvian

QuoteOne question: are there recordings (or scores) available of the following?

Symphony in c minor (1899) (ah, is this the 'lost' symphony)?
Rhapsody on Lithuanian folksongs, Op. 39
Valse grotesque (1895)
Jāzeps un viņa brāļi, musique de scène (1920)

Recordings -- none that I'm aware of. Scores -- probably, at least of the last three works.

Latvian

QuoteOne question: do the folksongs have names, or is it just Song 1, Song 2, etc?

Yes, they do have names. I don't have the recording or the info handy at the moment but will try to update the file with the details in a few days. The names are in Latvian, so all I can offer for English-speaking listeners are some approximate translations (lots of meaning lost due to idiom).

Alan Howe

The Vitols symphony is a thoroughly enjoyable work in the Russian style - surprisingly dissonant at times, but with some gorgeous tunes. Well worth reviving, I would have thought...

Dundonnell

Having spent the entire afternoon downloading Latvian Music from this site I am in a state of some shock (and exhaustion) ;D

I had already downloaded the Ivanovs and Skulte symphonies but there was just SO much more of both composers and of composers completely new to me like Medins and Kalnins and Abele.

There are now so many new files in my Music Downloads Folder that it will probably take me all evening to sort them out and catalogue them.

I shall repeat...to Latvian, Sicmu, fr8nks and other members who have uploaded this music the cause of Latvian Music owes you all the most immense debt of gratitude :) :) You are bringing music to the attention of people who would, probably, in the normal course of events never have heard most of this music.
Wherever they may be the spirits of these Latvian composers must be delighted ;D ;D

fr8nks

Quote from: Dundonnell on Friday 30 December 2011, 18:17
Having spent the entire afternoon downloading Latvian Music from this site I am in a state of some shock (and exhaustion) ;D

I had already downloaded the Ivanovs and Skulte symphonies but there was just SO much more of both composers and of composers completely new to me like Medins and Kalnins and Abele.

There are now so many new files in my Music Downloads Folder that it will probably take me all evening to sort them out and catalogue them.

I shall repeat...to Latvian, Sicmu, fr8nks and other members who have uploaded this music the cause of Latvian Music owes you all the most immense debt of gratitude :) :) You are bringing music to the attention of people who would, probably, in the normal course of events never have heard most of this music.
Wherever they may be the spirits of these Latvian composers must be delighted ;D ;D

Wow, Dundonnell, I've read your post three times and it makes my heart feel good. I live in the United States and the first trip I ever made outside of this country was to Latvia to shake hands with some of these composers because I was under the spell of their music. I have music by other Latvian composers which I will upload soon. It is comments like yours that make it all worthwhile.

dafrieze

May I just add my heartfelt thanks for the Vitols works?  This composer was completely unknown to me, and what I've heard of his music so far is wonderful - the Gems really are that!  It's amazing that such tuneful, beautifully orchestrated music isn't a part of the repertoire. 

Latvian

QuoteMay I just add my heartfelt thanks for the Vitols works?  This composer was completely unknown to me, and what I've heard of his music so far is wonderful - the Gems really are that!  It's amazing that such tuneful, beautifully orchestrated music isn't a part of the repertoire.

I'm glad you enjoyed them! I might add that his a cappella choral music is incredibly beautiful. I've sung and/or conducted many of the pieces, and they're magnificent. I'll upload some in the future (after I get through the many other pending items).

Latvian

QuoteI shall repeat...to Latvian, Sicmu, fr8nks and other members who have uploaded this music the cause of Latvian Music owes you all the most immense debt of gratitude :) :) You are bringing music to the attention of people who would, probably, in the normal course of events never have heard most of this music.

Thank you, Colin! It appears my mission is bearing fruit!

Dylan

Just a plea that the Dambis Sea songs and Shakespeare Music be not forgotten, among the flood of incredibly welcome revelations....

Latvian

QuoteJust a plea that the Dambis Sea songs and Shakespeare Music be not forgotten, among the flood of incredibly welcome revelations....

Thank you for the reminder! It occurred to me recently that someone had requested them, but I couldn't remember who.

JimL

Finally got around to downloading those Ivanovs concertos.  So far my favorite is the E minor Violin Concerto.  This is another work that sounds like it ought to be a standard in the repertory.