Dimitrie Cuclin (1885-1978)

Started by A Nyholm, Sunday 07 August 2011, 15:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Holger

In fact, this is a misattribution. The symphony from these YouTube videos is not Cuclin's Symphony No. 7, but his Symphony No. 17 "In preclassical forms" from 1965. I once got a broadcast recording of this symphony (again, just three movements, by the way) plus announcement which definitely clarified things. The title partly explains the neoclassical formulas Cuclin uses in this work (which, to be honest, I am not too fond of).

Alan Howe

Oh dear - while I'm grateful to hear anything new, this symphony takes 'turgid' to a whole new level. I can't imagine wanting to listen to it ever again...

QuoteToday it is difficult to penetrate the labyrinth of his musical thought
https://www.icr.ro/pagini/dimitrie-cuclin/en

I agree.

UnsungMasterpieces

Quote from: Holger on Friday 17 April 2020, 16:13
In fact, this is a misattribution. The symphony from these YouTube videos is not Cuclin's Symphony No. 7, but his Symphony No. 17 "In preclassical forms" from 1965. I once got a broadcast recording of this symphony (again, just three movements, by the way) plus announcement which definitely clarified things. The title partly explains the neoclassical formulas Cuclin uses in this work (which, to be honest, I am not too fond of).
So this is his 17th symphony? Wow, I wasn't aware of that, mainly because on Cuclin's symphonies there's a big lack of information.
It's strange though, because I found this recording on the Internet Archive (the upload to YouTube was actually made possible by me alerting the uploader of this recording).
The original files I have of it include a short radio announcement at the end of the 3rd movement, which states (and I'm absolutely 100% sure that I heard correctly) this was his 7th symphony.
Did the announcer make a mistake there? And if so, is this actually a full recording without any cuts? (as the recording of the 9th symphony has a large amount of cuts)

Alan Howe

Whichever symphony this is, it's really hard work to listen to - thickly orchestrated, featureless, much ado about nothing. Sorry...

Holger

Somebody must have an error at some point in case of this symphony, but I am sure that this one must be No. 17 indeed. Here are the arguments:

1) the announcement I cited,
2) the key: the MGG (German music encyclopedia) gives F Sharp Major as the key of the Seventh and G Major as the key of No. 17, and this one definitely ends in G Major,
3) the title: the symphony undoubtedly refers to 18th century music, and No. 17 is called "In preclassical forms", which fits perfectly,
4) the style: the other Cuclin works from around 1950 (No. 7 is from 1948) are more romantic in tone.

As for the work itself, I am afraid I agree with Alan. Cuclin is a kind of an oddity anyway in my view, and while I do collect his stuff it's more about curiosity than about the prospect of really discovering something substantial. However, his late works like Symphonies Nos. 17&20 are really a tough listen, and that's not because they would be complicated in any way...

UnsungMasterpieces

I would be interested to hear that announcement as well, because I'm getting curious here...
Is there a way for me to find it?
I've listened to the symphony a few times in the past two weeks. Even though I think that (for example) his 9th symphony is much stronger than this one, it still has its moments.
I find myself enjoying a few passages in the 1st and 3rd movements.

Alan Howe

QuoteI find myself enjoying a few passages in the 1st and 3rd movements

'Nuff said.