McEwen viola concerto on Hyperion

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 11 August 2011, 15:55

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

announced as forthcoming in November - only a download page that I see, no description yet?? - here. Not sure I saw a topic about it elsewhere. Brabbins conducting, in their viola concerto series, with Flos campi as the coupling which they've already recorded (an arguable-one-way-the-other choice I suppose.) The McEwen composed 1901 for Tertis.

(1901? I thought the Forsyth- premiered 1903- composed-ok, not sure when- was "considered the first full-scale viola concerto by a British composer." The McEwen lasts about 30 minutes, I think he is or was considered British... ... erm.)

Alan Howe

izdawiz

Yay! hope  the Viola Concerto is as good as his String Quartets that were also recorded by Hyperion..

Alan Howe

IMHO it's not a great work - but anything by McEwen is of real interest.

patmos.beje

I agree with the above.  For years I longed to hear McEwen's Viola Concerto and thought Chandos were the best bet for releasing it.  Having heard it last year and listened to it several times since I was disappointed, largely because it was unexpectedly romantic and not  what I was expecting from McEwen based on my knowledge of the Chandos CDs (orchestral and chamber music) and knowing McEwen's later Viola Sonata from a recording I obtained from the Scottish Music information Centre many years ago.

I think it may have been the first Viola Concerto written for Tertis and first performed in 1901.  It is a big boned romantic work wholly lacking in the impressionistic, or Scottish snap, one associates with McEwen's later music, hence my disappointment.  However, based on the type of romantic music that many other people on this blog seem to enjoy, I think it could create a favourable impression.  It is certainly a virtuosic piece and well orchestrated.  It compares favourably with other romantic Viola Concertos such as the Bowen.

Its coupling with the Vaughan Williams' Viola works which, so far as I am aware, have never previously been coupled together on CD or LP, suggests it may have been partially sponsored by the VW Trust who sponsored the Chandos McEwen chamber music CDs.

Notwithstanding my reservations, I will purchase the Hyperion CD and well done to Hyperion for rescuing this historic piece by a very fine composer for a modern recording.

Mark Thomas

Yes, it sounds right up my ultra-romantic street.

Alan Howe

Although I'm glad to have the McEwen, I'm not greatly taken with it in all honesty. A dramatic opening doesn't seem to me to be fulfilled by the remainder of the movement, the 'slow' movement strikes me as charming but inconsequential, and the finale seems to meander all over the place before the composer draws the threads together. A nice enough listen, but I can't see violists queuing up to perform this...

Dundonnell

That's disappointing to hear :(

I shall order the cd anyway :)

Alan Howe

You may well like it better than I. I listened to it after auditioning the magnificent new Widor CD on Hyperion, which may have been a mistake...

patmos.beje

The Vaughan Williams couplings are really good in sound quality.  The Flos Campi is better quality than the earlier Hyperion version and the Suite made a bigger impact on me than the earlier Chandos version which I've had for years.

The McEwen recording is good quality but I still prefer his later and much more modest Viola Sonata which, to me, is musically more memorable.

patmos.beje

Subject to moderator approval, McEwen's Viola Sonata will appear on the British Music Broadcasts downloads page soon together with 4 other McEwen pieces not commercially available.  This will enable a comparison to be made with the Viola Concerto.  The Sonata was composed in 1941 40 years after the Concerto.

Jimfin

I have to disagree with a lot of people and say I really like the new viola concerto. The central 'grazioso' movement is a welcome change from the endless central slow movements of string concertos everywhere or the fast ones of Walton's works in these genres. Very pleased to have this, plus the Vaughan Williams ones, which are always welcome.

eschiss1

Where in that continuum would you characterize the central panel of Rubbra's viola concerto, out of curiosity? :)

Alan Howe

This thread's about McEwen, Eric. Just a gentle reminder...

eschiss1

Ok- had gotten the impression that thread drift rule interpretation and enforcement had been relaxed somewhat. Thanks, clarity is appreciated.