Austrian music

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 14 August 2011, 12:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Thanks, Mathias, for uploading the superb Bleyle Symphony No.2 - an absolute riot of a piece! Marvellous!

Mark Thomas

I have a couple of orchestral works by Bleyle: Flagellantenzug and the Schneewittchen Suite, which I'll upload in the next few days, once my busy weekend is over.

britishcomposer

Thanks for your enthusiasm, Alan! You are welcome! :D
As far as I know the symphony has been broadcast only once at the beginning of the 1990s. (Maybe I missed a later broadcast, though.)
Strange, why do they produce such costly adventures and not play them...

I am looking forward to your additions, Mark, especially the later Schneewittchen Suite! Great news indeed! :D
Has his style changed over the years?

eschiss1

Thanks! I've seen piano duet reductions, I think, of Bleyle's second symphony and poss. his violin concerto via Sibley... (the first was a manuscript work- my mistake- yes, the F major op.6, this is the one I've got downloaded :)

BTW - the op.6 is a one movement work in 2 sections - Etwas gehalten - Sehr feurig. See IMSLP (PD-US-only, until 2020 in Canada, later in the EU. He was also a student of Hugo Wehrle.)

jerfilm

Thanks for the Bleyle.  Had never heard of him.....yes, t'would be interesting to find some more of his output.  At LEAST, his First Symphony........

Jerry

Balapoel

Thanks for the Bleye Symphony, great stuff.

For those interested in Karl Bleye (1880-1969)
(not sure how much of the following is available in score)

Chamber
String Quartet in a minor, Op. 37
Partita for solo violin, Op. 58
Violin Sonata in G, Op. 38
Violin Sonata in e minor, Op. 56

Orchestral
Symphony No. 1 in c minor (1904/5)
Symphony No. 2 in F, Op. 6
Flagellantenzug, tone poem, Op. 9
Violin Concerto in C, Op. 10
Alpennmorgen, Orchesteridyll, Op. 15
Gnomentanz, Op. 16
Sieges-Overture, Op. 21
Overture zu Goethes Reineke Fuchs, Op. 23
Legende, Op. 28
Der Taucher, Op. 31
Kleine Suite for orchestra, Op. 45
Cello Concerto in d minor, Op. 49
Schneewittchen-Suite, Op. 50
Romance for violin and chamber orchestra, Op. 51
Bacchanten-Overture, Op. 52

Piano works: Opp. 12, 18, 24, 33, 42, 48
Choral works: Opp. 4 7, 19, 26, 57, 34, etc.
Songs: Opp. 14, 29, 30, 43, 44, 60, etc.
Voices and orchestra: Opp. 2, 8, 11, 13, 17, 20, 27, 32, 47, etc.

If anyone has more details on Prometheus (1912), Gestern, Heute, Ubermorgen, and Zur Jahrhundertfeier der Schlacht bei Leipzig (1912), I would appreciate it.
Cheers,
Balapoel

eschiss1

PD-US-only again because of death date, but op9 and 23 also now at IMSLP (from U. Rochester Sibley's digitization project which has several of his works including those, an excerpt "Die Hoellenfahrt Christi" from op.17, and duet arrangements of opp. 6 and 23.)

Mark Thomas

Flagellantenzug and the Schneewitchen Suite have now been uploaded. I'd say that Bleyle's style changed very little over the years judging by these two works separated by 30-odd years.

Rainolf

Bleyle's Symphony sounds like a nice combination of Thuilleian and Straussian elements, for me. Indeed, another fine composer emerging from the great Ludwig's composition school.